Map Update too large GO6100

NicbNicb Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
edited January 30 in Map installation
I am trying to update maps but it is saying there isn't space on my GO6100.

Firstly, I used to get round this by only selecting the countries I drive in (UK) but there isn't that choice anymore, which is very frustrating, so I have had to buy a SD card.

I have bought a kingston 8gb micro SD and formatted on the device, the device sees it & says there is plenty of space. However, when trying to update Maps My Connect keeps telling me I don't have space for the update.

Any ideas on a solution please? Especially if that means I only load UK maps. I have lifetime updates so I am not going to buy any maps. TIA.

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 32,971 Superusers
    I'd get a 16 gb SanDisk brand card to replace the 8 gb card you have.
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,400 Superuser
  • NicbNicb Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    Before I buy another sd card can you tell me why a circa 6gb map update is not loading on a 8gb card? Given the 5+gb of maps are already on the device (& can't be removed to reinstall)?
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,400 Superuser
    @Nicb

The map of Europe is now 7.9 GB on my GO 5200, so most likely will exceed 8 GB after the next update
    Thanks Niall, I appreciate that. Why on earth did TomTom remove the option to only download certain countries? It's pretty rediculous having to now buy 2 extra sd cards when all I want is uk maps. To be honest it puts me off ever buying another tomtom.
  • John-JayJohn-Jay Posts: 561 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    Nicb wrote:
    Thanks Niall, I appreciate that. Why on earth did TomTom remove the option to only download certain countries? It's pretty rediculous having to now buy 2 extra sd cards when all I want is uk maps. To be honest it puts me off ever buying another tomtom.

Hi, @Nicb

I have a GO5100 - as far as I'm aware it is virtually identical to the GO6100, other than screen size!

If you go to to "MyContent" (in MyDriveConnect), it should show you what maps you have loaded.

In the "Active Map" (which is presumably a variation of Europe+UK) it should a "Change" Button.

Selecting that, on my GO5100, gives my a whole lot of choices (in my case, all under ver 10.15):-
    1. Europe + Benelux Buildings
    2. Europe + Eastern Europe + Turkey Buildings
    3. Europe + France Buildings
    4. Europe + Germany, Austria & Switzerland Buildings
    5. Europe + Iberia + Italia Buildings
    6. Europe + Scandinavia Buildings
    7. Europe + UK & Ireland Buildings
    8. Europe without Buildings
    There is a indicative Map that shows which Countries are specifically included, as well as an associate list (e.g. Russia is ONLY included in No 8).

Each of the above will fit onto my GO5100 internal memory (i.e. do NOT require to use a SD Card).

Although I cannot see an option to install only the UK, on its own.

Just for info, I've got No 7 installed, this is stated to be 6287.76MB, but the memory used up is showing 7973MB, with 143MB free!

Regards,

John-Jay

Yes, I have europe + UK & Ireland too. It "should" fit on internal 8gb & it definitely "should" fit on 8gb internal plus 8gb sd card (16gb)..... but it's saying it doesn't have enough space even when the sd card has been freshly reformated FAT32 and is empty. I've still not really solved that problem unless I'm misunderstanding something. If the loaded maps are 5+gb surely the 6+gb updated maps will over write the installed maps. I can't believe there's 6+gb of fresh roads in eu & uk! Potholes maybe, but not new roads.
  • John-JayJohn-Jay Posts: 561 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    Hi, @Niall ,

Just a long-shot - hove you checked your content to see if you have somehow got any additional Country's Map installed as well?

NB:- the fact that you have BOTH Internal Memory & a SD Card is probably not relevant as I don't believe that TomTom can split an individual Map over the 2 lots of memory - it is either one of the other.

Regards,

John-Jay

I have formatted a 32gb sandisk on the device and still the same problem. The device sees the sd card & says it's already formatted but still tells me I have insufficient memory in My Drive. I try removing voices to see if I can even download the firmware update of 336mb and even that doesn't work, removing voices just tells me it's "dowloading items, less than a minute left" but then stays at that screen, no green band movement. I also tried a reset within the device settings and no change. I have not got extra maps other than the ridiculously large UK, Ireland and (unneeded) europe.

Any ideas which can progress this?
  • dhndhn Posts: 32,971 Superusers
    Check with support:

:flag_gb: United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

But before you do, go to Settings in MyDriveConnect (click on the country flag to get to it. Then go to the downloads tab and check the option to clear the downloads folder on your computer.

Then try again with a map update and see whether it proceeds this time.
  • BrianEBrianE Posts: 412 [Legendary Explorer]
    On my GO 6200 I have the option to just have the UK & Ireland map, which I chose as I thought it might make the device quicker to start up. I have a 16GB card installed as well, but it hasn't been used yet.2885a297-aa52-4c6e-9c57-d050ee48ea53.jpg
    BrianE
    I think I probably should of gone to support in the first place, I'm another £15 down on an sd card & no better off.

dhn, I thought similar on MyDrive so had alread uninstalled Mydrive, inc. emptying updates & reinstalled with fresh download. Also to ensure very latest version. No joy. My drive flips between seeing the device has storage but ignoring the fact when I try & update or not seeing the storage telling me I haven't got enough of the memory (it sees other times). My device on the other hand, sees I'm connected to a computer, recognises the sd card but tells me to open mydrive (even though my drive is already open & shows the device is connected as GO6100). It all seems a completely amateurish & what I'd expect from a bargain bucket sat nav, not a company seen a brand leaders.

Brian, I dearly wish the Go6100 had the same option. Same screen you show, I get Europe + uk + ireland, like it or not, which frustrates me even more that TT give it as an option to some & not others. I am sure, previously, I had a choice in mydrive to only load needed countries. I'll call support when they feel like not being to busy for their customers & feed back here if I get any joy.
  • SF331SF331 Posts: 11 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I too had problems downloading, had to delete voices, including Serena which gives street names. I eventually change the Europe + UK & Ireland Buildings maps to Europe and it installed this map onto the sd card, however thoguth I would try to install Europe + UK & Ireland Buildings its not there to be downloaded, where has it gone
  • LAURE123LAURE123 Posts: 1,080 Superuser
    Hi @SF331

I think this message could help you, that's what I do with my GO5100.
    The differences for you are that you will install a small map on the internal memory and you will remove the EU full map from the micro SD card, and then install the EU + UK Buildings map.

https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-5xxx-6xxx-series-go-4xx-6xx-series-go-via-and-start-4x-6x-series-mydrive-connect-176/move-data-from-my-go500-to-the-items-sd-card-1041259#post1241492

Regards.
  • SF331SF331 Posts: 11 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks Laure123, this worked great, why couldn't TT tell me this when I phoned them!
    Hi @SF331

I'm glad you could do what you wanted with your map. :slight_smile:
  • PeterSharpePeterSharpe Posts: 34 [Master Explorer]
    SF331 wrote:
    I too had problems downloading, had to delete voices, including Serena which gives street names. I eventually change the Europe + UK & Ireland Buildings maps to Europe and it installed this map onto the sd card, however thoguth I would try to install Europe + UK & Ireland Buildings its not there to be downloaded, where has it gone
    I have exactly the same problem. There wasn't enough room to install the GB & Ireland map when in theory there should have been plenty of room, as I'd already removed all surplus voices. I bought a 16GB Sandisk SDHC card and after several attempts, loaded the full Europe map onto it, as the smaller one had disappeared from my download list. Okay - it works, but I don't actually need this full map and would rather load the smaller one back into internal storage and use the new SD card in a phone. The trouble is that the UK map has disappeared and there seems to be no way of getting it back. There seems to be a bug, where if anything goes wrong during a map update, all kinds of surplus data is left in the internal storage, which is not removed during the next update. This is why it gets full to capacity when in theory there should be nearly a gigabyte left free.
    Hi @PeterSharpe

You didn't have 1GB of free space wasted on your TomTom device, neither in theory nor in reality.

Our TomTom devices are not USB keys or memory cards. It would be better to compare this to mini computers. On the internal memory there is an operating system like your Windows on your PC, the NavCore operating software, voices, POIs, Mapshare changes, speed cameras, your favorites, your routes, an essential buffer and finally you need a map to use.
    To all this must be added at least 400 MB of space completely free for the proper functioning of the device, otherwise risk of problem and slowdown. Like all active systems, the software needs space to "move".

The size of the EU + UK Buildings map is 6476MB.
    Successful installation on an internal memory of 8GB, if MyDrive Connect succeeds... will make the device unusable for the reason : memory saturated.
    So a micro SD card of minimum 16GB is necessary if you want the EU, the cost isn't excessive to prolong the use of our devices.

Otherwise you need a smaller map and your GO50 doesn't have World maps but only EU. For that ask customer service politely and kindly as you have been advised, to add a free small map to your device, UK for example or another map.
    See here and here.

Regards.
    "You didn't have 1GB of free space wasted on your TomTom device, neither in theory nor in reality."
    then:
    "The size of the EU + UK Buildings map is 6476MB.
    Successful installation on an internal memory of 8GB, if MyDrive Connect succeeds... will make the device unusable for the reason : memory saturated."

Surely, as the device needs 400MB of free memory, there should still be a gigabyte (or as near as damn it) unused?
    Also, why is the UK & Ireland map no longer available in the download list and why is the UK no longer an option to select as the place where I do most of my driving? It just doesn't make sense.

Edit: Okay - I found this with the aid of Google, telling me that the separate UK & Ireland map has been officially discontinued (without notice). At least I think that's what it's telling me.

The map I have installed on my SD card is Europe Size: 8199 MB v10.20, although I have absolutely no idea if that is with or without buildings. Judging by comments from other users, I feel that I would much rather have it without buildings, as they are seen by many as clutter, which actually interfere with navigation. Like many other users, I always set the map view to 2D (you can see all around you and much further ahead), so I should imagine the buildings are pointless anyway.

By the way, when people referred to 'internal memory', I always thout that memory was transient and that the maps would actually be installed on some kind of internal, solid-state 'hard drive'
    I tried phoning support, but after listening to a poor quality recording of piano music for several minutes with no indication of where I was in the queue, I simply gave up.
    Hi @PeterSharpe

When I talk about internal memory, I'm talking about the data storage location built into the TomTom device, a kind of hard disk, flash type.

When you have 8GB of storage, you only have 7.4GB usable. Your micro SD 16GB has only about 15GB usable. This is normal, you can find with google all the explanations on the real capacity of the storage disks.

In MyDrive Connect you only see the capacity of the internal flash drive available for storing maps. The rest, that you don't see, is used for the system and the software.

Maybe I'm expressing myself badly, so in image below. The memory of my 8GB device without any map, only 1 computer voice and my favorites on de device. The EU map without buildings (its my personal choice) on a micro SD 32GB (usable 30GB)

The EU + building GB map still exists, to find it you have to go to the submenu of the EU map. The "change" button. But to force its installation on the memory card you need a 2nd map...

By calling customer service you will have an individual UK + ROI map of less than 1GB.
    Take the time to call TomTom support.

Regards.

b75ba065-79ce-4773-9828-13178e043a48.png
    746f2a29-7906-4362-bd7a-5e511af35c0f.png
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 13,361 Superusers
    Hi
    @PeterSharpe
    a3fd30e7-dbbd-4be8-911a-69e2166b664f.jpg
    On the Tomtom devices like your GO 50 if there is enough free space on the on-board memory the device will install the Map on the internal on-board memory
    If there is insufficient on-board memory MyDrive Connect will offer several MapZone options to suit your driving needs or Europe (Without Buildings)
    You can't split a Map across the on-board memory and a MicroSD Card

Its already been posted that User SF331 has succeeded installing the Map using the method in Laure's post, if you follow LAURE123 post you can force install the a Map onto a MicroSD Card
    I been using the suggested method for many years across several NAV4 devices without a problem

Note... I can't recall NAV4 devices like your GO 50 EVER being offered Multiple Maps to download other than... The Map purchased with the device, MapZones or Europe (Without Building)
    The only map ever offered for my GO 5000 was the Full Europe Map
    Back then I had to purchase the UK&ROI Map to use as padding to force the Full Europe Map onto the MicroSD Card

ATB YFM
    It is... Available!!!
    I installed the UK&ROI v 1020.9238 yesterday

You will just have to take my word for it that the above map isn't available to download on my device, although it was on it before I loaded the full Europe map. I'm afraid I don't know how to get a screen shot off the device, but the only one available isEurope 1020.9238 That is, of course, unless you're saying that Europe + United Kingdom + Ireland buildings is incorrectly labelled on the list of choices and that in fact it is the one that is actually the UK&ROI map. I can't remember if the one I had original had buildings on them, but as I always use the 2D option, perhaps they were there and I didn't notice them.

It is telling me that the map will fit on my device, but not where it will be stored. I suspect it will be installed onto my SD card, which I was hoping to claim back again. The above mentioned map is 6476.03 megabytes, whereas I have 6488 megabytes free on the device itself. I could simply remove the SD card and see what it then tells me, but shouldn't you really have a safe-eject procedure to protect the card from being corrupted? In order to check the maps available, I tapped the menu on the device while it is still connected to the computer – something I have never done before, which means that the map is actually active at present. I will switch off the device, remove the SD card, and then report back with what happens.
    I have now done that and the full Europe map is the only option available. the 'Install a smaller map' option is no longer present!

I just tried to go back into the device menu. I can't get that far because it says:
    'No Maps Available
    Reinstall a map you already own or go to the TomTom shop to buy a map.'
    Update: after nearly two hours, the Europe + United Kingdom + Ireland buildings map has been automatically installed on the internal storage of my device, leaving 6Mb of free space and leaving the SD card completely empty. I'm assuming this doesn't include the necessary 400Mb of working space required, or surely it wouldn't have been installed.

There is still no sign of the UK&ROI map anywhere amongst the choices available. I'm now wondering how long it will be before future updates make it necessary to install an SD card again.