My Drive Connect - what is it supposed to do? — TomTom Community

My Drive Connect - what is it supposed to do?

Old GoatOld Goat Posts: 5 [Neophyte Traveler]
edited January 2019 in MyDrive Connect
I have My Drive Connect (and also MY Drive, as a separate entity) installed on my computers and Android phone.

I am at a loss to discover what My Drive Connect actually does.

When opened, with my Go 6200 connected via USB, I have a window which asks which device I want to manage. When I click on the logo of the device which I own (with the serial number displayed), I am invited to "Update your go the easy way", and have to click "I got it", after doing which I am direct back to the previous screen. I can do nothing else. How on earth am I supposed to "manage my device" from that? It's a never ending loop - there are no other options available on the screen.

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,333
    Superusers
    The 6200, being a WiFi model, does not use MyDriveConnect. All updates are handled on the device itself.

If, for some reason, WiFi is unavailable, the device CAN be updated using the usb cable connected to the computer with MyDriveConnect running BUT minimized.
  • Old GoatOld Goat Posts: 5 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Thanks, but it seems to make no difference whether or not My Drive Connect is running. Although it recognises the 6200, I can do nothing with the programme. I might just as well delete it.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,681
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Old Goat

The NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices like you’re GO 6200 update using Wi-Fi...
    All the update actions are executed on the device...

Option... (1) Connected Wifi
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Setting --> Maps

Note... NAV(5 Wifi) devices connected over Wifi do not require MyDrive Connect to be running Even if myDrive is running you have no access the MyDrive Connect menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices

Option... (2) Connected USB
    If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    Tomtom Recommend... A Wi-Fi network with a download speed of at least 30 MB/S, especially when updating maps which can be large downloads

Updating your new NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device over USB will require "MyDrive Connect"
    Get it here.....
    www.tomtom.com/getstarted

Run MyDrive Connect.....
    Note... The NAV(5 Wifi) devices have no access the MyDrive Menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices
    MyDrive Connect will only show a "Splash screen" saying "Connect your device using Wifi" etc
    If required You can close the 'Main Mydrive Window' showing the "Connect your device using Wifi" Splash screen... MyDrive Connect only needs to run in the background on the PC TaskBar

870d2bce-aa69-408c-b876-cf4aeb5e2fb5.png
    Connect your Device to a USB Port on your PC
    Updating a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device using USB is the same as using Wi-Fi, all of the update actions are executed on the device...
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Setting --> Maps

ATB YFM
  • the1955mantisthe1955mantis Posts: 7 [Legendary Explorer]
    I'm in the same boat, got a new 620 recently. Previously I used TomTom Home for updates on my old device. So is there any other point to me having MyDrive Connect on my computer at all, assuming my wifi is working fine?
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,681
    Superusers
    Hi
    @the1955mantis

See Option... (2) in the post above your post....

ATB YFM
  • the1955mantisthe1955mantis Posts: 7 [Legendary Explorer]
    YamFazMan wrote:
    Hi
    @the1955mantis

See Option... (2) in the post above your post....

ATB YFM
    Thanks for that, and sorry for any confusion, but I thought I had implied that. Anyway I'll keep the app on my computer but I've just discovered TomTom Home is wasting about 9Gb with backup maps, so I'll ditch that.