Routing on the GO 5200 - narrow lanes — TomTom Community

Routing on the GO 5200 - narrow lanes

I've noticed in the UK that if a major A road, with a 60mph national speed limit, is slightly longer than a narrow country lane (a 'white' in Ordnance Survey parlance) which has the same speed rating, the TomTom will direct you down the narrow (and marginally shorter) road, overlooking the fact that it is generally impossible to maintain the same average speed on these roads unless you are a rally driver! Until the software is updated to reflect the width and twists of the road, which is something I can do very easily by simply looking at an Ordnance Survey map, it will never work properly.

I also notice that my preferences on my GO5200 offer me the option of asking if I want to choose between the quickest or shortest route when planning, but I am never actually offered this option when entering a destination like I was in the good old TomTom days. Sometimes it seems is if TomTom is over-complicating some things whilst ignoring obvious route planning answers that are immediately obvious to anyone who has used a paper map to plan a route. Is there a fix for this problem? I am running the latest software but this problem has been there since purchasing the TomTom a year ago.

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,357 Superusers
    Hi
    @PeterRussell53
    (Snip)
    I also notice that my preferences on my GO5200 offer me the option of asking if I want to choose between the quickest or shortest route when planning, but I am never actually offered this option when entering a destination like I was in the good old TomTom days. Sometimes it seems is if TomTom is over-complicating some things whilst ignoring obvious route planning answers that are immediately obvious to anyone who has used a paper map to plan a route. Is there a fix for this problem? I am running the latest software but this problem has been there since purchasing the TomTom a year ago.
    The previous method of asking what kind of route to take, happening on a route by route basis during the 'planning' process, has changed on NAV4/5 (Wi-Fi) devices

On NAV4/5 (Wi-Fi) devices you Plan and Calculate the route
    The vast majority of the time I want the 'Fastest route' (Job Done)

But If say I want to 'Avoid Motorways'...
    Then after Planning and Calculating the route
    I Tap the 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Current Route --> Change route type... Choose Route Type (Avoid Motorways)
    Note... This change only applies to the current route
    For the next route, the device will default back to the 'Route Type' you
    have chosen in the Settings menus i.e... For me the 'Fastest route'

[h3]GO 5200 User guide....[/h3]http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/gox20x/index.htm

ATB YFM