Accuracy of calories counted

Ryan_22
Ryan_22 Registered Users Posts: 2
Apprentice Seeker
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
Hi all, i'm beginning to notice a vast difference in my callories burned after exercising.

I cycle a lot and ive been comparing callories burned between two other people (they have a garmin and an Apple watch). The Garmin and Apple watch seem to be very close when it comes to ending the exercise. My TomTom however, seems to be 400-500 callories more for the same distance cycled? We all weigh within 10kg of each other but our watches are set up to our weight, height and age. I read something about TomTom using MET tables for their watches without HR. But apparently they use the MET tables for the watches with HR as well? Just wanting clarrification on whether anyone else is experiencing the same thing as me?

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,935
    Superuser
    Calories burned will depend on the activity mode used. In running, cycling and swimming modes the watch is not using your HR to calculate caloric burn; it is using MET tables, which are tables of energy expenditure at various paces. They did it this way to enable users who are not using a HR monitor to get a caloric estimate (otherwise they would get a zero reading). In gym and freestyle mode, it is using your HR to calculate calories applying a standard HR based calculation considering weight, age and gender. How accurate the calories are depends on how accurate the HR readings are, and how well the watch is collecting them. If you want to check it, you can take you average HR and put it in an online calculator or Excel spreadsheet to calculate an accurate calorie count. In my experience the watch calories match up almost exactly to any site using an HR based calorie calculation.

I hope this helps answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Ryan_22
    Ryan_22 Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Seeker
    I appreciate the response.

I just don't understand why they don't use the heart rate to calculate calories on watches equipped with a HR sensor? Yes watches without the HR sensor need the MET tables but the watches that do have the HR?

My calories count is always 400-500 more than it should be using the cycling mode! It's just frustrating and I don't want to have to use freestyle mode when there is a cycling mode? I'm not going to get the same measurements, average pace, pace per km, etc?
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,935
    Superuser
    Ryan_22 wrote:
    I appreciate the response.

I just don't understand why they don't use the heart rate to calculate calories on watches equipped with a HR sensor? Yes watches without the HR sensor need the MET tables but the watches that do have the HR?

My calories count is always 400-500 more than it should be using the cycling mode! It's just frustrating and I don't want to have to use freestyle mode when there is a cycling mode? I'm not going to get the same measurements, average pace, pace per km, etc?
    Because there is one software for all watches, they do not have separate software for every model of watch. And even on an HR watch, some users may want to use it with the HR turned off (to conserve batteries, to get more accurate data, etc.). You can get all the same metrics using Freestyle as you get in cycle.

I hope this helps answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.