Sync saved route from navigator device to MyDrive web app

AlexSFAlexSF Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 24 in RIDER
I saved a route on my Tomtom Drive 550 but I cannot find the way to sync it from the device to MyDrive web app.
If I try to "share routes" it tells me to remove the sd card and insert another one.

can you help with this?

regards,
Alex

Comments

• ChrisHallChrisHall Posts: 228 [Supreme Navigator]
    To the best of my knowledge you cannot share/copy/move/export a route created on any Rider 4xx or 5xx.
    The sync with MyDrive is only in the direction MyDrive to Rider. It does not work in the reverse direction.
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,368 [Superuser]
    @ChrisHall

You can share on a 5xx, see page 155 of the manual
    Exporting tracks to a memory card
    You can export tracks as GPX files and save them on a memory card for sharing with other users.
    Important: Routes and tracks cannot be stored on the same memory card as maps because different memory card formatting is used.
    Note: Currently, you can export only tracks from your TomTom Rider.....
  • AlexSFAlexSF Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi @ChrisHall ,
    that is what I did at the end, but I had to buy a new sd card...

As you said, sync is only in one direction. I think someone from TomTom should open a feature request to make sync possible in both directions.

regards,
    Alex
  • ChrisHallChrisHall Posts: 228 [Supreme Navigator]
    @Niall
    Share tracks only, not routes.
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 663 [Superuser]
    Sharing a route can be problematic because of the nature of routes unless they’re thoroughly designed. My guess is that this is the only reason of not allowing routes to be shared.

Think of the following scenario: You’re creating a route. You see the calculated route on your screen. Then you share it with a friend who has a TomTom to follow you on a ride for the case of getting distant...

For some reason he can’t follow you at the same pace and he decides to load your route on his TomTom. Surprise! He arrives to your rendezvous point (the next waypoint) 45’ later...

Why? Because a different route calculated (according to his settings and other map data).

IMHO, they should allow it but with the necessary warning and instructions...

Returning to the topic, two way sync can be a pain and may create more problems than it solves. If it’s in their plans, they must implement it carefully and then release it to the public...