Why no Rider with built-in sim??? — TomTom Community

Why no Rider with built-in sim???

RamRaiderRamRaider Posts: 7 [Apprentice Seeker]
edited January 11 in RIDER
You have a car version & a professional (truck) version with the built-in sim for traffic updates but no Rider version..... not even the new £499 550 premium has it

WHY????

Comments

• MrMMrM Posts: 148 [Exalted Navigator]
    Too expensive, production-cost wise. They say ...
    But I support this. I said it many times on Dutch forums. It will solve all those idiot internet connection issues.
  • basixbasix Posts: 486 Superuser
    Because everyone seems to have a smartphone with a data connection. Roaming inside the EU is free nowadays, and an internal modem would add to the cost. (monthly M2M subscriptions)
  • [Gelöschter Benutzer][Gelöschter Benutzer] Posts: 5,321 [Revered Navigator]
    Because the current built-in SIM works neither in half of the world nor in half of Europe.
    basix wrote:
    Because everyone seems to have a smartphone with a data connection. Roaming inside the EU is free nowadays, and an internal modem would add to the cost. (monthly M2M subscriptions)
    Yes, but the failed connections are numerous. Especially in the Apple scene.
    Automotive users are quite content with the SIM-gps-es. No issues at all as far as I can read on the Dutch forums.
    The older Sim-GPS'es as you state, have become incompatible or are becoming incompatible or no longer supported because they only support 2G data. When tomtom creates GPS devices, they use a single platform, with 90% the same internals. If they can't guarantee 5-10y of compatibility with the cellular networks, there is no use of including such a component.
    @MrM
    Can't really tell what is going on with Apple, but I have had the same kind of issues with all my android devices and my 400. Nowadays using a 420, and my own solution I've described here: https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/rider-51/tomtom-rider-bluetooth-connectivity-issues-with-android-nougat-1020158
    I agree on the 5 - 10 year.
    I passed on the Rider 4xx (Have been for more than 10 years a Rider user), because of above issue. Very happy with my Rigged phone and the GO app and the Osmand App regarding tracks.
  • RamRaiderRamRaider Posts: 7 [Apprentice Seeker]
    basix wrote:
    The older Sim-GPS'es as you state, have become incompatible or are becoming incompatible or no longer supported because they only support 2G data. When tomtom creates GPS devices, they use a single platform, with 90% the same internals. If they can't guarantee 5-10y of compatibility with the cellular networks, there is no use of including such a component.

The ones with the built-in sim I reference too are not older models they are the latest models for these different vehicle types, so what is the difference between driving a car/truck in said countries & a motorbike ????
    I'm not sure - just speculating, but the Rider is more of a niche product with probably way less sales figures than a 5/6x00 range car navigation device. The rider is a rugged device and maybe the SIM holder/modem etc inside the car range is not suited to be used in more extreme conditions like on motorcycles. Again, just guessing..
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 726 Superuser
    I don’t see any technical difficulties to implement it on a device with the more demanding / rugged IPX specs like a motorcycle navigator.

It’s a business decision based on some data... Cost mostly, some market research I guess...

The key to any decision, IMHO, is the niche market.

Personally, I don’t want any additional cost, one more thing to manage... IMHO, we should demand a more reliable implementation of their Bluetooth, to fix all the known problems that never solved so far. No new features, just that.
  • Mike NewMike New Posts: 18 [Outstanding Explorer]
    OK then as my bike has a decent mounting area behind a good screen then my solution is to fabricate a mount from the spare one I have for my GO 6000 series and use that on the bike - problem solved - I don't mind taking my gloves off to operate it and I don't (often) need to mess about with the GPS while riding.