I cannot download a map to my new GO 620

stevehopson
stevehopson Registered Users Posts: 4
Neophyte Traveler
edited December 2021 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
I am attaching my 620 to my laptop via the USB cable and trying to download maps for Europe. The device takes 10 minutes to even resister that it is downloading anything and then after if has downloaded anything from 1 to 9%, it "loses" the connection. It would appear that there is no restart facility and the error / timeout handling seems to me to be very poor. The whole process has to be restated. I am attempting this over a 3Mbps link (yes, in the 21st century, this is the fastest I can get) which means the download will take at least 45 minutes for the maps I want.

Is there any way I can download the maps to my lap top and then update my 620? Any other (sensible) suggestions? Any help gratefully received. Thanks

Comments

• dhn
    dhn Posts: 33,382
     Superuser
    Well, that model has WiFi I believe so you should be able to download updates that way.
  • stevehopson
    Neophyte Traveler
    dhn wrote:
    Well, that model has WiFi I believe so you should be able to download updates that way.
    Yes, is true that it has WiFi, however, I believe that my Laptop connected via an Ethernet LAN to my router should provide a better and more performant connection than WiFi. However, I will try it. Thanks.
  • dhn
    dhn Posts: 33,382
     Superuser
    @stevehopson

Tomtom servers are deadly slow at the best of times. Compound that with a 3 mbs link and it would be agony I think...…….

Also, ensure an antivirus/firewall isn't impeding proper transmission.
  • LAURE123
    LAURE123 Posts: 1,632
    Superuser
    Hi all

@stevehopson

A slow connection doesn't make things easy.

As you specify @dhn your antivirus and your firewall can block your TomTom downloads. Personally I have to make a total exception in both, otherwise it's a systematic failure.

The use of a VPN can also be blocking, the only known solution is the uninstallation of the driver.

The sleep mode of the PC (USB ports/hard disk/network card), especially on a laptop will cut the connection with TomTom servers, disable it the time of the update.

In the MyDrive Connect software installed on your PC, make sure that the "Download updates on my computer (recommended)" option is checked.
    Right click on the icon in the taskbar / Settings / Downloads tab / check the first box.

From your device, launch only one item download at a time. Do them one by one.

51f63c25-b3ca-4c96-b80d-da196e6d44de.png
    Regards.
  • stevehopson
    Neophyte Traveler
    7 hours and 90% downloaded! Using WiFi with 620 right next to the router.

I'm not sure that the firewall is an issue as I never had this problem updating my 720.

I believe I have the settings as you suggest Laure123, but unsure now how to check them as the MyDrive Connect screen offers no options to change settings (maybe because the 620 is no longer connected?). Not sure how to download more than one update at a time.

Thanks for your help and suggestions. I hope that Tom Tom monitor these exchanges and can develop a better way of updating their devices over slow broadband connections.
  • LAURE123
    Superuser
    @stevehopson

90%, I hope your download will finish well.

If your old device was a GO720 you used the TomTom home software on your PC. Your device was considered as a kind of USB Flash Drives. With TomTom Home I didn't have any problems with my security software.

With the software "MyDrive Connect" your new GO620 Wifi connected to the PC is recognized as a "Network adapter". The firewall as the antivirus can block it. Exchange networks must be authorized for this file and for the device (private and public network):
    C:\Program Files (x86) MyDrive Connect\TomTom MyDrive Connect.exe

- With a Wifi device to access the "Settings MDC" it's necessary to use the "TomTom icon" present next to the clock in the taskbar. Do this before connecting the device to the PC.
    16d60a59-f895-45cd-b19b-5844a785cd0b.png
    - For updates from your device, in "New Items" don't do them all at the same time. Uncheck what you don't want. First do the NaVCore alone, then the maps one by one, etc...
    ==> Main menu (4Dots ...) / Settings / Updates and New Items /
    http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/gox20x/html/en-gb/index.htm#UpdatesandNewItems-Prato.htm

- For additional maps, also one by one.
    ==> Main menu (4Dots ...) / Settings / Add a map
    http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/gox20x/html/en-gb/index.htm#Maps-Prato.htm

Regards.
  • stevehopson
    Neophyte Traveler
    The download did eventually finish, after 8 hours.
    i’m still not convinced it was a firewall problem as this should have blocked access completely.
    I will have a look at your suggestions and hopefully, the next update will not take so long!
    Thanks, your help is much appreciated.
  • LAURE123
    Superuser
    Hi @stevehopson

Glad for you. :slight_smile:

You are still dependent on your slow internet connection, you can't do anything about it. The full map of EU is 8GB, much more than the map of your old GO720.

Regards.