Installing third party files

I have a GO520 which I want to download into and install a number of third party OV2 files (camp sites for the Wiki Camps app.) When I connect the GO520 to My Drive Connect on my PC I am just told that I can update my GO520 via wifi. I know this but that only applies to map updates etc provided by Tom Tom.
Has anyone had the same problem and solved it? I have contacted Tom Tom support numerous times but no one seems to want to help me. Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• NiallNiall Posts: 10,548 Superuser
    @Grey Nomad 2

See this 'how to' video
    [video]
    Help others identify useful content :- - If someone posted something that was helpful? Click the Like button 👍

If someone answered the question you asked? Answer Yes to "Did this answer the question? Yes · No"
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,765 Superusers
    Hi
    @Grey Nomad 2

Be aware... You can't install the POI associated .BMP files
    You can only use the Tomtom supplied generic Icons
    But you can use one icon for for more than one POI category i.e... place all your fuel categories under one Icon, then if you tap on a nearby 'say' Fuel Icon a Quick menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot Icon for more options & more Infromation

Setup... After installing your 3rd part POIs....
    Tap 4Dot (....Menu) --> Settings --> Appearance --> Show POI lists on the Map
    It says a restart is required, but I've never found it to be necessary
    After choosing the Generic Icon.. Tap the coloured (^) Icon screen top right... Pinch zoom the Map, the Generic POI Icons all appear live and working
    Note... The Generic POI Icons disappear when the Map is highly zoomed out, and reappear as you zoom in again

See Update 17.1...https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-wi-fi-6200-5200-620-520-52-professional-via-53-482/new-software-17-1-available-now-1021781/index1.html#post1161180

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'
    EthoZ, Niall and YamFazMan, thanks for your quick responses. Unfortunately your suggestions don't help much. I downloaded a copy of the GO520 manual as soon as I bought the device and the only reference to POI's is on page 38 but seems only to relate to the POI's already in the device as opposed to downloading third party ones. I also have a Via 620 GPS which I downloaded the Wikicamps POI's some time ago without difficulty. see the attached photos below:
    The log in screen of course (bottom photo) and when I logged in the with Via 620, I could simply navigate to the second screen (2nd from bottom) and via the smartest route planner, install the POI's.
    With my new GO520 it has updating via wifi, which is does fine but only TomTom maps traffic updates etc. when I log in with my GO520 connected, the screen immediately shows photo 3 from bottom telling me I can update via wifi. I cannot access the previously mentioned screen. The only other screen I can access is the top photo telling me how to update via wifi.
    I cannot understand why My Drive Connect operates differently to when I connect my Via 620. I am still waiting for Tom Tom support to contact me.
    Cheers.8f4b6e7c-5d16-4c51-8ec4-b5ec4172e3ac.jpg0087eb68-ff44-44f4-8cf5-fd7783e472e9.jpg4960696d-34ac-409b-ab69-9e49ca3b2d6c.jpgcd287001-8f48-488d-a7f5-fae0ae3cab57.jpg
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,795 Superuser
    Hi Grey Nomad 2

You do not use the My Drive Connect software to add POI files to your unit. I have the older GO5000 and what YamFazMan etc are indicating is the method you should use which is what I do on my older GO5000.

The MY DRIVE CONNECT software is for updating your units maps and software etc and is not used for adding POI, or Route files.

Open your browser on your computer and search for 'Tomtom my drive' and then open that 'MY Drive" webpage. This is the webpage shown in the video above from Niall.

On the webpage Log into, top right, the same TT account you have on your GO520 and MY Drive Connect.

When you are logged in:-

Click on My Places on the left hand side menu. (3rd Icon down)

The menu that opens will list any My Places you have saved on your unit. You will see near the top 'POI FILES' , click on that and it switches to the List of 3rd Party POI files loaded into this account.

As you have not loaded any this will be blank. So click on the option at the bottom of the column to "Import POI Files" and then follow the procedure for loading the Files. This must be done one file at a time.

Once you have done this then connect your unit to your computer and ensure it is logged into its account then the unit should sync with its account which now has the Poi files allocated to it. The POI files you load will appear on your GO520 at the bottom of the My Places list you open on the unit when you press Menu (4 Dots) and then My Places.

It may be that with your unit that connecting via Wifi may also sync the Poi files to it.

Once loaded you can show your POI files on the map, not with their own .bmp icon though, and you can search the POI files as well.

The important thing is to realise that My Drive is different to My Drive Connect. The first is webpaged access to the units account on the Tomtom servers and the latter is the software you use to keep the unit up todate.

Hope this helps.

Doug
  • [Gelöschter Benutzer][Gelöschter Benutzer] Posts: 5,321 [Supreme Navigator]
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,548 Superuser
    @Grey Nomad 2

Did you actually run the video? As that goes through the whole procedure step by step
    Help others identify useful content :- - If someone posted something that was helpful? Click the Like button 👍

If someone answered the question you asked? Answer Yes to "Did this answer the question? Yes · No"
  • Grey Nomad 2Grey Nomad 2 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi Niall,
    Yes I did. The first time I looked at it I assumed (one should never assume) that it was referring to My Drive Connect site - a typical example of seeing what you expect to see - and then I realised later that it was a totally different TomTom site, which was the first time I had heard of it. By then I had also received DougLap's explanation and following both, very quickly installed the files.
    Again thanks for all your help. I have posted a further reply to all who have helped. Cheers
  • peter354peter354 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
    this still doesn't address the problem that to add a file to tom-tom, it need to be in tom toms special format 0v2