Did TomTom actually test the Rider 550?
But the rider 550 is a mess and I am seriously regretting selling my Garmin Zumo.
The key selling points that persuaded my to move away from my Garmin were that the tomtom would give me back the interface that I preferred, had WiFi for easy updates, fast CPU, and iPhone integration
there are so many issues with the Rider 550, even on the latest firmware that I wonder if TomTom actually road tested the product on a proper motorcycle prior to release? Some are bugs, some are just appalling design issues
This is my shortlist of the most (but not all) annoying “features” that the rider has:
- The WiFi is a joke. Any update, even if just a few bytes, takes forever. (I have a 1Gb fibre connection in my property so am pretty certain my broadband is not the limiting factor)
- During an update, the WiFi frequently disconnects. After disconnection, the rider reports no internet and then fails to discover the wifi again until you switch device off and back on again
- There is a total lack of options to customise the sounds and volume control for any of the alerts. TomTom have left such control to the headset you are using. This means that you get an absolute ear splitting warning from speed cameras etc unless you either turn off the warnings or turn the volume down to such a level you can’t then hear the spoken navigation instructions. I have switched off all the warning because it is just too painful in my ears, totally defeating the object of warnings in the first place
- The “iPhone integration” is nothing more than just a very hard to tap button on the screen that activates Siri. There’s not media nor proper phone & contacts controls.
- Its a totally random thing whether the rider connects successfully to my iPhone to retrieve traffic data. Most of the time it fails.
- The on screen buttons are difficult to tap precisely with gloves. I find this very dangerous as too much distraction from the road ahead when eg trying to tap Siri button
- unless you lock the screen orientation the screen flips when cornering due to lean angle....
As I type this msg , I am currently updating my unit with the latest 7gb map update. So far it has taken me about 2 hours, the unit has disconnected from the wifi at least a dozen times, been rebooted the same, and is still only on 63%. Of course, rather helpfully it has deleted the existing maps so now unusable until the update is complete.....