Rider 450 missed waypoint annoyance — TomTom Community

Rider 450 missed waypoint annoyance

speedtriflespeedtrifle Posts: 6 [Master Traveler]
edited January 20 in RIDER
Riding on the A39 (UK) from near Bude towards Camelford, final destination Tintagel. Had a waypoint set in Crackington which is a diversion off the A39, rejoining it after 8 miles. The turning for Tintagel was 1.5 miles after that. Running late so I missed out the diversion to Crackington. The 450 continuously insisted that I turn round at any and every junction, despite passing the point where I would have rejoined the A39 and after taking the turn for Tintagel. This continued until I was less than half a mile from my destination. WHY? Surely your routing algorithm should have recognised that I was on the correct route onced I'd passed the point where I would have rejoined it, even if I didn't cancel the waypoint?

Comments

• AndersNordhAndersNordh Posts: 260 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    Hi,

In this case I would either have chosen to skip the next waypoint or just re-entered the destination ...

... and I am actually surprised that it gave the waypoint up at all, even if it was close to the destination. :-)

Have a nice day.

Anders

• ChrisHallChrisHall Posts: 252 [Exalted Navigator]
    This how It works unfortunately. If you don’t pass through the waypoint it will keep directing you back to it. You must go into the menu, then current route, then skip next waypoint.

The routing algorithm is hopeless as you say.

I wasn’t aware that it gave up as you neared the destination, so that is useful (or not!).
  • EXPORTMANEXPORTMAN Posts: 634 Superusers
    Hi

I think on the latest software it would continue once you were back on the route
    Also when importing use routes not tracks if you are likely to want to skip a bit of the route.
    Born free, now in debt
  • tugmantugman Posts: 337 [Revered Navigator]
    You would have thought that as you are on the correct route and past the last way point by say a mile it would recognise this and just carry on but no it Is so archaic that can not do this simple task. But they keep bring out up dates with the same problems time after time.
    The annoucement of way points as destinations is another infuriating distraction
    tugman wrote:
    The announcement of way points as destinations is another infuriating distraction

Agreed! I mean, how hard can it be to set that as a configuration item?
  • speedtriflespeedtrifle Posts: 6 [Master Traveler]
    Hi,

In this case I would either have chosen to skip the next waypoint or just re-entered the destination ...

... and I am actually surprised that it gave the waypoint up at all, even if it was close to the destination. :-)

Have a nice day.

Anders

My point is that I shouldn't have to. Every other sane nav device I have used recognised that I was still on the intended route after a couple of miles, even the original 'Neverlost' that was fitted to Hertz rental cars back in the late 80s.

And having to look down to navigate through a menu while riding is at best irritating and at worst dangerous. Pulling over to do so is doubly irritating.

The only occsaion that doggedly hanging on to a waypoint would be sensible would be during an enduro or long distance trial where you have to pass them in order. But on the road it makes no sense.

Why don't you fix it TomTom? A quck bit of Googling shows this up as one of the major complaints about the product, along with the inability to reverse a route on the device, and it's not exactly a difficult algorithm to implement.
  • raesewellraesewell Posts: 115 [Revered Navigator]
    I think you are confusing .itn and .gpx routes. The .itn route was doing what you ask it to do, you told it to go to that waypoint and that is what it was trying to do, don't blame the technology just understand it. A .gpx route wold have reacted differently.
  • tugmantugman Posts: 337 [Revered Navigator]
    By surely the whole point is that regardless of what system is used a missed way point on a route that has been passed should automatically drop out as soon as you have rejoined the planed route. It can noy be that difficult to program in surely.
    If that are any programmers out there perhaps they would like to comment.
    I'm just telling you how it is, you may have gone further in your journey that the missed waypoint but you didn't go passed it. If this is the way you want your journey to behave then you should use .gpx files. However if you do use .gpx files and encounter roadworks or road closures on the route be prepared for the .gpx route to abandon you.
    As already said in a previous post " skip next waypoint" can be used. I always rearrange the menu icons so that the most used ones are at the front.

The Tomtom was doing what you told it to do, it doesn't know when you change your mind. Maybe sometime in the future we will have mind reading GPSs but for now we have to give it instructions.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,977 Superusers
    Hi
    +1 +1 @raesewell

That's the nature of an .ITN Route, it will doggedly follow the waypoints, waypoint by waypoint, in the order they were placed into the route, with the device planning the route between the waypoints... Its just doing what it was told to do... If I change my mind, I have to reprogram the device with the revised Info e.g..."Skip next waypoint"

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'

The Garmin Zumo will move onto the next waypoint if you ignore the instruction to turn x number times.
    TomTom don't seem interested in providing useful functionality like the above, or reversing a route, or fixing the bluetooth, preferring to focus on tat like previewing a route and reading text messages.
    You should read my posts carefully, The Tomtom will do this if you use a .gpx file you have the choice to use .itn or .gpx files.
    raesewell wrote:
    You should read my posts carefully, The Tomtom will do this if you use a .gpx file you have the choice to use .itn or .gpx files.

Problem is I don't want to use a track. I use routes which can take into account traffic information.

The Zumo will do it for a track, and a route.
    I think you have answered your own question really, buy a Garmin, I will be sticking to my Tomtom. As already said use the Skip waypoint option.
    Both manufacturers' devices have problems, buy the one annoys you the least!