Fitness Points/Age — TomTom Community

Fitness Points/Age

MJKuzmickMJKuzmick Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
Why are Fitness Points so prominently featured when they don't amount to much?

I've read many posts about Fitness Points / Fitness Age / VO2Max and they state that you have to either run or cycle at a certain heart rate to lower your Fitness Age. Every week I'm told I'm "Imroving" my Fitness Age, yet nothing changes. According to my statistics, I'm consistently working out in my peak heart rate range.

Perhaps I need to phone in my workouts, climb to a Fitness Age of 102 and then work out normally and watch my Fitness Age drop. :-)

I know this is just a motivational tool, but for a watch that I love (this is my 2nd TomTom) this feature utterly fails.

Comments

• MJKuzmickMJKuzmick Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    So... I finally lowered my Fitness Age from 69 to 65. How did I do this? By following the advice from the TomTom app. It suggested I add some runs to my workouts. I've been strictly cycling since April '18 so I guess a run is what was needed to bump it down. I ran just a mile at an 10:43 pace. The next day I ran a mile at a 10:05 pace but nothing changed. I'll give myself a few days off of running and then give it another shot.
  • bittibitti Posts: 8 [Apprentice Traveler]
    According to TomTom's Fitness Age User Manual, "VO2max [and thus also Fitness Age] is calculated when you do a running activity like running, trail running, or treadmill, and have a relatively steady heart rate measurement for more than 15 minutes."

So my understanding based on that is that cycling does not affect VO2max or Fitness Age calculations, and your experiences seem to confirm this. It's also logical, because according to Firstbeat (the company behind the algorithms), VO2max and Fitness Age are based on analysis of speed/hearbeat ratios. For cycling, the speed is affected by too many other factors to be useful in the analysis.
    Also according to the manual, "Fitness Points can be calculated for running, treadmill, trail running, walking, cycling ..." I guess my heart rate during cycling doesn't get high enough to impact the calculation. Thus my points are usually in the "Improving" category rather than "Overdrive."

Perhaps if I added the Cadence Sensor to my bike I'd get a more accurate reading?

For those of us who bike because of knee issues or those who use wheelchairs it would be nice if Fitness Points could be adjusted (VO2 Max on a sliding scale) for that activity and thus provide a motivational tool for non-runners.
  • Ronibrown1Ronibrown1 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I find the fitness age utterly infuriating! Hope they come up with a better way to improve.
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,319
    Superusers
    Ronibrown1 wrote:
    I find the fitness age utterly infuriating! Hope they come up with a better way to improve.
    They will not. TomTom left the wearables business last year and is just selling out their inventory. All development has stopped and they are in maintenance mode. There will be no new features or changes to the existing features in the future.
    That's sad. I've been pretty happy with my Spark 3. I was originally drawn to TomTom by the price point. The only complaint (other than Fitness Age calculations) has been intermittent synching issue with my iphone. Seems every few weeks I need to Forget and Pair my watch for it to work.

On another note, I found this on the Forum...

https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/spark-spark-3-runner-2-and-runner-3-473/fitness-age-calculations-on-sports-app-1028100/index1.html

According to this, it looks like my Max Heart Rate was set too low. Apparently, data above the Max is not calculated. Since I usually work out above the Average Heart Rate Zone for my age, I raised the value by 10 and am currently waiting to see how that pans out.