Install maps on SD card — TomTom Community

Install maps on SD card

swamperswamper Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
Is it possible to choose map location? I want install maps to SD card, but I didnt find any option how to do that. I have found some topic where is said, that app should ask you where to install maps, but I got no question during instalation.

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,333
    Superusers
    On newer devices that use MyDriveConnect, it is the application that determines if maps go on internal or a sd card, depending upon the space that MDC 'sees' on both storage areas.
  • swamperswamper Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Im sorry, I didnt mention in text that im using TomTom GO Mobile (for Android), I only add tag. Or I should set different Sub forum, but my queston is about map installation ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. So I think this splution is only for TomTom navigation devices.

Is there any solution for mobile app?
  • YemblePhoneYemblePhone Posts: 13 [Apprentice Traveler]
    swamper wrote:
    Is it possible to choose map location? I want install maps to SD card, but I didnt find any option how to do that. I have found some topic where is said, that app should ask you where to install maps, but I got no question during instalation.
    I could be wrong, but I believe that it chooses the "best" location for the maps, based upon available space, at the time of installation. However, in my experience, if you let it install maps on the extSD card, you may well be plagued with application errors later on.

For this reason, I always eject my extSD card prior to installing TomTom and/or installing map updates, which forces it to store the maps on device storage.

I never get application errors from TomTom on my phone when the maps are on device storage! I reserve the extSD for storing OSGB maps for Alpine Quest.