TomTom in France- Is it legal

Dudley FlyerDudley Flyer Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 2019 in TomTom Services
Is my TomTom legal to use in France

Comments

• NiallNiall Posts: 10,892
    Superuser
    @Dudley Flyer

As I live in France I can confirm that your device is legal.

Remember, as long as you have a map is version 10.11 or later (10.15 is due very soon) that have the mass changes in the reduction of speed limits from 90 to 80 Kph on non-dual carriageway roads

You will find that you get an advance warning as you enter a "danger zone" and you should not see the actual camera location on the TT screen. You will see the zone depicted for about 2 or 4 kilometres and you should continue to observe the limit with care as the French have begun to install average speed devices. Equally, you will not find a "Danger Zone" in the reverse direction unless that too is `protected`. In general, the cameras and speed limits are used to protect areas of risk to motorists or the public at large

I would not worry about the legality of your device, as if your are stopped by the gendarmes (they are after speeders at the moment ), tap the screen and select "Settings" > > > > "Me and my device" "About my device".

The 4th line starting "NF Mark ..." is all you need to show the gendarme that your device is legal.

If you are stopped by the French police it is important to have
    a) your driving licence with you
    b) proof of insurance
    c) your car tax (V5) and/or proof of ownership.
    They know that Brits don't carry ALL these documents systematically but the French are obliged to and will be fined if they are stopped without these documents. The French have a "Carte Grise" which is a document which proves ownership and that the car is safe (it is linked to the french equivalent of the MOT).
  • Dudley FlyerDudley Flyer Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi Niall, thanks for the advice re my tomtom and all the other info, it is very much appreciated.
    kind regards
    John
  • IainTTIainTT Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Thanks for the advice Niall. Previously I have used a Garmin in France, and had always had to remember to turn off the 'speed cam' location settings.
    If I've interpreted your comment correctly, I don't have to adjust any settings on my GO 6200 as it is already 'French legal'.
    kind regards
    Iain
  • LAURE123LAURE123 Posts: 1,632
    Superuser
    edited March 2020
    Hi @IainTT

I live in France because I am french. I assure you that you will have no problem with the French police if your TomTom device is checked. To be honest, a French police officer never looked at the contents of my TomTom device. Maybe because I am french...
    You will see more or less long "danger zones", 300/2000/4000 meters, without the precise location being mentioned or displayed, which is authorized by french law. TomTom made the necessary for its devices since 2012.

You have nothing to do. Your device will automatically switch to the appropriate alert mode as soon as you cross the border. With its connection to satellites your GO6200 will know where it is and what it should do for speed cameras. I have exactly this behavior when I go to a country where the location of speed cameras is legal. And the alerts are switch off when the country prohibits it completely, Switzerland for example.
    Go on a quiet trip.

http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/gox20x/html/en-gb/index.htm#Aboutdangerzonesandriskzones-Prato.htm

Regards.
  • ST1300_PanEuropeanST1300_PanEuropean Posts: 80 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    @Niall

Great response, very well explained, and thanks also for the recommendations about documents.

Michael
  • miketorcymiketorcy Posts: 3,508
    Superusers
    edited March 2020
    LAURE123 wrote: »
    Hi @IainTT

I
    You will see more or less long "danger zones", 300/2000/4000 meters, without the precise location being mentioned or displayed, which is authorized by french law. TomTom made the necessary for its devices since 2012.

It is easy to know exactly where the radar is:

In town, the zone is 300 meters long, the radar is when you are at 100 meters of the end!

On road, the zone is 2000 meters long, the radar is when you are at 500 meters of the end!

On motorway, the zone is 4000 meters long, the radar is when you are at 1000 meters of the end!