Android Update (v9) TomTom Traffic Live disruption — TomTom Community

Android Update (v9) TomTom Traffic Live disruption

It seems to me that since my phone updated it's software to v9 Android, my TomTom Go500 has lost the ability to log in to "MyDrive" and receive any traffic updates. In my job, I realllllllly need those traffic updates.

I have a life-time subscription to traffic as purchased with the device, however, it has stopped communicating with the TT services, it seems.

A thought struck me, and I asked a friend if I could use their BlueTooth tethering to test my theory - and sadly - my theory was confirmed. Whilst he & I are both on the same network, my TT accepts traffic updates when BT connected to his phones (we tried two) as well as other people's I've since tried - all on older variations of Android. I'd happen to notice the updates seemed to stop around the same time as my phone updated to v9.

Will TT work this out and supply a resolve?

Is it on Android to fix this - and if so, how does one reach the appropriate folk within the Android community to report on this issue?

Thoughts?

Comments

• LucifyLucify Posts: 124 [Exalted Navigator]
    Perhaps the device is unable to cope up with the new Android. Check with support
  • Henk JanHenk Jan Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    I have exactly the same problem since my phone update with Android 9 and contacted Nokia on this. They cannot solve the problem, I had to wait till new security updates were available...
    My TomTom 5200 works as a headset now with Android 9, but connection with the MyDrive app is not working anymore
  • djinunodjinuno Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I have the exact same problem, I have a Sony Xperia Xz Premium that updated to Android 9 last Friday and since then the TomTom Services (live Traffic or MyDrive) just stopped working on my TomTom Go 500, I already tried to factory reset my TomTom but no luck. Today I tried the desktop app MyDrive Connect and however the phones connects I still can't login on TomTom on my TomTom account.
    I have sent an email to support but I was wondering if you manage to fix the issue?
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,303
    Superusers
    @djinuno

Calling may be more effective:

:flag_gb: United Kingdom
    02079 490 132
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
    I tried to find a phone number for the Netherlands for TomTom service, but I cannot find it. If anybody can help me with that, that would be nice.
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,303
    Superusers
    :flag_nl: Nederland (Holland)
    020 850 1022
    Maandag t/m vrijdag : 09:00 tot 17:30
    dhn wrote:
    @djinuno

Calling may be more effective:

:flag_gb: United Kingdom
    02079 490 132
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
    Hello dhn, that's all good an well, I contacted them also and I received a few articles and instructions to troubleshoot but it has been pointless, some of the instruction don't even apply to my TomTom device and others I have tried already before contacting them, like factory reset the device.

This is definitely an issue of TomTom devices with Android 9.0, at least for the TomTom Go 500 because if I use a smartphone with Android 8.0 or lower it works fine.

This just shows that there wasn't a commitment from TomTom to make sure their devices, even slightly older ones, work with the most recent version of Android. What's the poin in having lifetime services if you device will stop working with more advanced technology?

To me this makes my TomTom completly useless since it is becasue of the live traffic that I use TomTom everyday.

Thanks,
    DJ
    OK, had just contact with TomTom helpdesk by telephone. It is known there that the Android 9.0 update causes problems in communication between the navigation system and smartphone. A team is working on it and it will be solved via a software update for navigation systems. We just have to have patience.....
    Henk Jan wrote:
    OK, had just contact with TomTom helpdesk by telephone. It is known there that the Android 9.0 update causes problems in communication between the navigation system and smartphone. A team is working on it and it will be solved via a software update for navigation systems. We just have to have patience.....
    Hello Henk Jan,

I have been in contact with TomTom Helpdesk/support on the last 3 days(phone and email) because of this issue and they haven't confirmed such thing until now at least to me. Have you received anything in write with that statement? Like an email? It would be nice to have it to be honest.

I will update this if I also receive that confirmation.

I want to also highlight that the issue is only sharing the data connection(4g/3g) from the phone to the TomTom device (bluetooth tethering), the bluetooth connection itself happens but since the internet sharing doesn't work the TomTom Services don't work.

If on your phone you use wifi and try to share internet via bluetooth it works.
    Sorry, I have no written confirmation and I did not ask for it either. But I have no reason to doubt on this matter, it is in the interest of TomTom to repair this issue. Android 9 is now introduced on most android smartphones.
  • KarlMKarlM Posts: 10 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Well it's been a lon
    Henk Jan wrote: »
    It is known there that the Android 9.0 update causes problems in communication between the navigation system and smartphone. A team is working on it and it will be solved via a software update for navigation systems. We just have to have patience.....
    Well it's been well over a year. Is that patient enough?

Still no resolve. In fact, now, my TT500 seems to be useless as the MyDrive Connect windows App seems to refuse to allow it to update.
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online in this Category0