Connecting to my bike via USB - Rider 500 — TomTom Community

Connecting to my bike via USB - Rider 500

Marky CMarky C Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 23 in RIDER
Do Tom Tom make a USB cable that plugs into the back of the round docking block for the Rider 500 ?. I want to connect my Rider 500 via USB and not hard wire the docking block. 2018 Harley Davidson's have a USB port provided to run items like this and I'd rather use this than have to go to the hassle of running the supplied wire through the bike if at all possible.

I'm asking as I 'assume' I'll loose the waterproof nature of the product by using the supplied USB charging port and not the docking block (as intended)

All help appreciated so thanks in advance :) .. mark

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,979 Superusers
    Hi
    @Marky C

Personally, I would bite the bullet, wire in, and use the powered Motorcycle mount or have the Mount installed at a Harley Davidson service centre

The Previous NAV4 and Latest (NAV5 WiFi) devices are quite power hungry and can go into "Power saving mode" if not supplied with enough power

Most Tomtom devices have a 1 hour battery life (Usually less in real life conditions) and are designed to be always connected to a power supply
    The Rider 4xx/5xx range has a 6 hour battery life (Usually less in real life conditions)... But the Rider 4xx/5xx range will obviously take longer to recharge

The Tomtom supplied Power Adapter is rated at 5Volts 1.2Amps
    Even after you have recharged the device externally via a mains charger, when in use in the vehicle, they will still require being connected to a Tomtom supplied Power Adapter (Or a proven suitable 3rd party Power adapter)

(1)... Water ingress will definitely be a major problem

(2)... Do NOT attach them to a dashboard USB port in your vehicle as they normally only supply 500mAmp (0.5Amp) and are for data transfer and not supplying power: See... Note (1)...
    A dashboard USB port can also fool a NAV4 Device into entering 'Updating Mode' and display the Connected to your Computer splash screen

(3)... Using a NONE Tomtom 3rd party underpowered or a mismatched cigarette lighter charger can cause the device to go into Power Saving Mode: See... Note (1)

(4)... On the Models with a built-in SIM, the reduction of power to the SIM can cause the dropping of the traffic info

Note (1)... At an (Undisclosed) percentage of battery discharge, the device will try to save its power requirements by dimming the screen and eventually powers off the device... Before Powering itself off, the devices with a built-in SIM Card may also lose Live Traffic services

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'

first of all, many thanks for taking the time with such a comprehensive reply.

having digested your comments I will bite that bullet and have the carrier installed professionally I think.

once again I thank you for taking the time to reply. Have a great day :) .. Mark