Problem entering 6 digits for uk post code- tom tom only allows me to enter 3 digits-GO 910 — TomTom Community

Problem entering 6 digits for uk post code- tom tom only allows me to enter 3 digits-GO 910

JimmymerlinJimmymerlin Posts: 13 [Apprentice Traveler]
I have an older TomTom Go 910 and as I could no longer get telephone support for this device without a subscription ,therefore, I had to purchase a UK and northern Island map update yesterday to get support. I then contacted tomtom support and the guy I spoke to was unable to help, he told me to do a factory reset on my tom tom ( which he said would delete everything on my tom tom including all the POI's I'd put in and all the music I had stored) and this would solve the problem. Well I did the factory reset and still cannot enter the 6 digits required for a uk postcode as I was able to do previously. Also when looking at the files stored on my tomtom using my PC I find that none of the POI's , music etc have been deleted after performing the factory reset !!!!! I have followed a link by someone who said to download a certain zip file, unzip it and then copy and paste it into the root directory.....but he said to copy it into a folder called Zip in the root directory, but I dont have this in mine, so I just pasted the unzipped files in the root directory. Can anyone please tell me how I can get my full uk post code search function back on my tom tom. Many thanks Jimmy Grinter

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,345
    Superusers
    If you don't have a zip FOLDER on your device, use Explorer to create one (all lower case 'zip' without the quotes) then unzip the compressed zip FILE into the zip FOLDER.

Also, try not leaving blanks when you enter the six character code.
  • JimmymerlinJimmymerlin Posts: 13 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi DHN. Thank you for such a quick response. I opened tomtom using my PC and created a folder called "zip" and then unzipped the great Britain post codes files into that folder. I then tried to input a 6 digit postcode, but it would still only accept the first 3 digits, which of course is of no practical use to me when trying to find locations. It is so strange why this has happened now after years of my device working correctly. Have you any other suggestions please????? Many thanks Jimmy Grinter
    Hi DHN........ Very Sorry............... I put the zip file into the folder that contained my uk map , as it was the one open on the screen !!!!!
    Once I realised the mistake, I created another folder called zip ( but this time in the correct location) and your fix has worked . Thank you so much, I can now access all of post code locations.
    Superusers
    You are welcome.
    Have you any idea why the post codes stopped working after all this time ?????? I am guessing it is something to do with TomTom themselves ,not sending out this file with their new maps any more ???? Thanks
    Superusers
    It could be that since that model is End of Life there are no further updates of any kind.