TomTom Go on Android Pie issue — TomTom Community

TomTom Go on Android Pie issue

AndroidPieAndroidPie Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
I have got TomTom Go running on Google Pixel 2 XL phone that recently has received Android Pie update. After this update application became unusable due to the issue with menu displaying, please see attached screenshot that shows what happens when you press menu button,

Can you please provide me with ETA of fix ASAP, because I have got 1 year subscription and can not use the app at the moment.
f70e2919-5b79-4640-b00e-2ab143aac467.png

Comments

• AndroidPieAndroidPie Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    Guys, it is really horrible, it feels like 1980, when to drive to the shop you had to enter shop address. Can't you adopt a bit modern search approach when I could just enter shop or store name and be presented with the list where I could choose one to drive to?

As it is now, your app can not be used on its own, it is such a hassle to go to google map, finding address, pasting it into TomTom app, and still, sometime TomTom does not find address and I had to drive to nearby location.
  • ndlndl Posts: 9 [Legendary Explorer]
    Hi,
    Same issue here, app is unusable after Android 9.0 update (no menu's appear).

I too have a paid subscription I cannot use.

TomTom you should have seen this coming, when will there be an update to resolve?
  • SheepsheadSheepshead Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I'm getting this issue too on Pixel 2 XL, just like the screenshot above. Before (on Android 8.1) it was working very well.

If you try to swipe up on the screen a faint scroll bar appears, and eventually the shadow of "Report a speed camera" appears at the top.
  • Zebrauk82Zebrauk82 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I had the same issue running the P Beta version. Just doing the Update to full Pie to see if it was fixed. Shame it is not.

It still usable, if you know the buttons they are clickable they are just not showing. So you click near the top it's search. And near the bottom without swiping down it's recent places.

When you use Search, in the side will be tiny marks listing the result. In London it's pretty much always the first result, so once navigation starts it's fine.

Hope @tomtom can fix this quick.
  • SheepsheadSheepshead Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thank you for the hint, Zebrauk82. I eventually found the point on the screen that allowed me to log in and sync, so my places are now showing on the map.
  • AsprinAsprin Posts: 271 [Supreme Pioneer]
    I was just over at the "Pixel User Community"

And just as I thought would happen lots of user's having all types of issues with Android Pie official release.

Here are a list of problems for the Pixel smartphones since the last beta and now official release.

Google Pixel Android 9 WiFi Problems
    Pixel Bluetooth Problems
    Bad Pixel Android 9 Pie Battery Life Problems
    Android 9 Gesture Control Problems
    Google Pay on Android 9
    Camera Blank Problems on Pie
    Misbehaving Apps on Android 9

We are to quick to put the blame on apps.

There will be fixes just like when Android 8 and 8.01 came out.

This is not just for Google Pixel smartphones.

It will happen went other manufactures release Android Pie to selective smartphones.

So like I said before patience is need for some time to come with Android Pie.
  • JvdZJvdZ Posts: 75 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    @Asprin624, These folks report an issue which you are sort of down-playing by telling them to be patient. Is it really that difficult to refrain from answering when you have nothing concrete to contribute as it is pretty annoying to find these replies every time, but I will be the first to admit it could be just me.
    Just let the folks at TomTom read it and if it is serious enough I am sure they will respond.
    Anyway, no need to write a word-wall again like last time, re-iterating your stuff in an effort to prove how right you are, as I am putting you in the ignore corner from here on.

Advice to the others: Just report your issue with the TomTom helpdesk as that is the official place to do so to get your problem tackled
    @Asprin624 - from your list I can possibly only confirm Bad Pixel Android 9 Pie Battery Life Problems and TomTom app represents your Misbehaving Apps on Android 9.

Check out review on Google Play - this problem was reported while Android 9 was in beta. TomTom just did not care to fix it - let's be clear about it. Android 9 in betas was available for many month to get app developers, like TomTom, make sure, that their app will work fine when release goes out.
    Can you possibly name any other app that have got similar user base and does not work on Pie?
    And look at the problem - it is really minor - just menu does not draw itself - two days of work for one developer, not more...
  • FrozNFrozN Posts: 8 [Legendary Explorer]
    I'm having the same issue after updating to Android Pie. No menu is being drawn. Everything else is working I think, though non functioning menu is quite a pain in the ***.
    TomTom, please fix/update it ASAP. I have a two-week trip starting this Friday and am unable to use the nav. That's really a shame as I am quite fond of your product.
    Whoever is looking after google play page was not super helpful.
    Hi there! Thanks for your review. Please could you reinstall the app and test, if the issue persists please contact our support teams ( please click on your country flag in the bottom right hand corner ) :- https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/contact 
    Cheers, [email protected]

Do you guys think that your customers are your testers? It seems you have not even made a trivial effort of checking your app in emulator.

I am software developer, made one Android app just for fun, offer me a job and I will fix it within a week time.
    AndroidPie wrote:
    Whoever is looking after google play page was not super helpful.
    Hi there! Thanks for your review. Please could you reinstall the app and test, if the issue persists please contact our support teams ( please click on your country flag in the bottom right hand corner ) :- https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/contact 
    Cheers, [email protected]

Do you guys think that your customers are your testers? It seems you have not even made a trivial effort of checking your app in emulator.

I am software developer, made one Android app just for fun, offer me a job and I will fix it within a week time.

I got precisely the same response. I wrote to the support though hoping they'll pass it to developers to fix it ASAP.
  • leexgxleexgx Posts: 28 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    I did email them the moment I installed android 9 pie on my phone

This this will affect any phone running Android 9 Pie and they should of been testing it in android 9 when it was in beta

I am Willing to Beta test a build (you know my email address) if you don't know how to use the pc version of android test software
    leexgx wrote:
    I did email them the moment I installed android 9 pie on my phone

This this will affect any phone running Android 9 Pie and they should of been testing it in android 9 when it was in beta

I am Willing to Beta test a build (you know my email address) if you don't know how to use the pc version of android test software

Did they ever respond to you?
  • cerij101cerij101 Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Remember P users you can still long press the icon on the launcher and access shortcuts such as My Places, Drive Home etc. These work fine.

The menu issue was reported to TomTom weeks ago, possibly months. Lots of phones like Nokia, Motorola will get Android P pretty soon so come on TomTom, pull your finger out and work some overtime...
    leexgx wrote:

I agree 100%, TomTom are a big company with lots of resources, they would have had access to Developer Releases plus Beta and this should have been tested and a new version released BEFORE Pie came out.

The fact that they didn't speaks volumes about what they think to their customers.

I raised a ticket over 24 hours ago and still have not had any response.
    ndl wrote:
    leexgx wrote:
    I agree 100%, TomTom are a big company with lots of resources, they would have had access to Developer Releases plus Beta and this should have been tested and a new version released BEFORE Pie came out.

The fact that they didn't speaks volumes about what they think to their customers.

I raised a ticket over 24 hours ago and still have not had any response.

Me neither, unfortunately.
  • ObsidianLycanObsidianLycan Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi

I also have no menu on Pie, running a Pixel XL.
  • AlanHoneyman1959AlanHoneyman1959 Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    Me too...
    Still no response from TomTom Tech Support after raising a ticket on 7th.

Nice to know they care so much about us paying customers eh?
  • JürgenJürgen Posts: 5,388 Community Manager
    We are aware of this issue and are working on a fix which we will try to make available to you as soon as we can.
  • lampardlampard Posts: 4,637 TomTom Moderator
    Hi All,

Thank you for your feedback! We are aware of this issue and are working on a fix which we will try to make available to you as soon as we can.

Cheers, lampard
  • bmw3399_un36bmw3399_un36 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Will try to make available is not a positive attitude.

This issue should have been resolved before the Android 9 Pie release.

TomTom who was once a leader in Sat Nav products is now fastly failing in so many areas. It seems like they are quick to take your money but slow to respond.
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 9,500 TomTom Moderator
    Hi @ndl

We are sorry about the late response.

I have sent a heads up to the customer service so this one gets pick up asap.

But due to the weekend, I am afraid there could be a further delay :slight_frown:.

Regards
    Vikram
  • bmw3399_un36bmw3399_un36 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thank you Vikram for your reply. This only highlights the poor service commitment at TomTom.

If Tom Tom really cared about the hundreds or thousands of paying customers affected then they would pay a small team to work the weekend to address the issue
  • tgoldtgold Posts: 2,127 [Exalted Pioneer]
    Thank you Vikram for your reply. This only highlights the poor service commitment at TomTom.

If Tom Tom really cared about the hundreds or thousands of paying customers affected then they would pay a small team to work the weekend to address the issue
    TomTom would also revise the first sticky post:

"The TomTom GO Mobile app is compatible with Android smartphones (Android version 4.0.3 or higher)"

which they know and admit is not currently correct.