Battery on TomTom GO live 825 — TomTom Community

Battery on TomTom GO live 825

Jonah992Jonah992 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
My tom tom had it several years now. Fully up to date keeps shutting down. I've read somewhere it could be a faulty battery. If so how do no get repaired as it's out of warranty. Regards Jonah

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,297 Superusers
    First of all, if your device has a serial number starting with the letters 'FY' then that model is considered End of Life, meaning no more map or any other updates. Devices starting with 'FB' or 'FY' are ok.

Now then...……..

You can google 'SatNav repair shops in the UK" and see what you can find there.

Also, see the video below for replacing the battery. Mind you, the company is US based but may ship to the UK:

[video]
  • Jonah992Jonah992 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks dhn
    Do you know where I find the serial number on a tom tom go live 825 please
  • Jonah992Jonah992 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I've just swapped the cable over. Yes it's not an official tom tom cable but appears to be working . Well hopefully anyway
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,745 [Elite Voyager]
    @Jonah992

To find the serial number see this video
    [video]
  • JudgeJJudgeJ Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Good evening,
    Could you please help me with a similar issue ? My GoLive 825 is serial number FBxx.

The battery on my GoLive 825 gives me problems. If my device is connected to power socket at home, I can start device with Drum roll, and it displays first "Battery in charge" then "Battery weak - cannot get traffic information". Device can then locate position, display map around me and stay on for as long as plugged, but immediately shuts down if plugged out of socket.

Now... this battery is actually newly installed, I purchased it in 2017 and somehow didn't use it, then installed it myself, with youtube tutorial this week, 2.5 years later. [The reason for installing it was to troubleshoot yet another issue, where device was constantly freezing and rebooting - thanks to this forum for the guidance :-) ]

The questions are
    1) do the symptoms described above indeed suggest a battery problem ?
    2) is it normal that an unused replacement battery can become unusable after 2.5 years (and then I just need to buy another one) ?
    3) if NO to above and the battery "should" be fine, how can I tell a problem of faulty battery from something else with the device / charging system ?

Many thanks in advance !

Best regards,
    JudgeJ
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 16,751 [Elite Vanguard]
    edited December 2019
    Hi
    @JudgeJ

You Old - New replacement battery may now be duff... Lithium battery's should always be properly maintained, one of the worst things you can do to a Lithium Battery is to store it in a discharged state.....

ATB YFM
    Thank you, YamFazMan.

I have immediately ordered a new battery and will try again after installing it. I will report afterwards.

Best regards, JudgeJ
    So, the "old new" battery was at fault, indeed.

After installing the new(est) battery, my GPS can charge up and remains on even unplugged from socket at home or car charger port.

Lesson learned, never store a Lithium battery in discharged state - thanks for your help !

Now that this possible cause is excluded, back to investigating why my Go Live 825 endlessly freezes and reboots...

Best regards, JudgeJ