Setting maximum speed on my vehicle-TomTom rider — TomTom Community

Setting maximum speed on my vehicle-TomTom rider

Andre65Andre65 Posts: 6 [Master Traveler]
edited January 2019 in RIDER
I just bought a TomTom rider but can't set the maximum speed. The whole point in using the device is not just to get from a to b, its about estimated time. So I use a motorcycle with the maximum speed about 80-90 km/h (sidecar motorcycle) What can I do?
I know this function was on the older devices, should be an easy fix.

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,326
    Superusers
    You cannot set a max speed on any of the newer models, sorry.
  • Andre65Andre65 Posts: 6 [Master Traveler]
    This is so bad. Paying EUR 400 for a "top of the line" GPS without this function is not a minor problem it really is a game changer for me. I will use my smartphone instead with better software and refund this overpriced piece of hardware. If Tomtom will have a future they better fix this. Its not just a mistake its a huge problem in your company policy not upgrading your software.
    The reason why I bought your product was ease of use, water proof and durable screen. Now I try I refund understanding Tomtom doesn't care.
  • [Gelöschter Benutzer][Gelöschter Benutzer] Posts: 5,321 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    dhn wrote:
    That's not quite correct, both camper and truck devices can do that.
  • Andre65Andre65 Posts: 6 [Master Traveler]
    EthoZ wrote:
    dhn wrote:
    That's not quite correct, both camper and truck devices can do that.
    Even Worse... If Camper and truck devices has this feature, its just real bad marketing strategy or laziness.
  • AndersNordhAndersNordh Posts: 275 [Supreme Navigator]
    Hi, I do agree that this would be a nice feature setting the maximum speed for route calculation but I have never seen it in any "modern" motorcycle GPS. Am I wrong?

Have a nice day,
    Anders
  • tugmantugman Posts: 337 [Revered Navigator]
    How would setting the max speed on the unit be any use in controlling the speed of your vehicle or have got them both synced
    tugman wrote:
    How would setting the max speed on the unit be any use in controlling the speed of your vehicle or have got them both synced

Hi, probably not at all BUT when enetering a destination, knowing that your max cruise speed would not exceed 100 km/h would give the GPS the possibility to calculate a more correct estimated time of arrival even if the max speed on the road, also used for arrival calculation, is 130 km/h for 95% of the trip.

That's all that I can see but would be nice to have ...

Have agood one,
    Anders
    I think that the planning system uses the fastest route so would give you an estimated time. If you then selected the windy/twisty or non motorway option it should give you an alternate time. This would supply a good indication. You could also compare using a car mode as a sidecar will be held up in traffic in much the same way.
    Not ideal but might help
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,402
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Andre65

Using the MyDrive Web Route planner and the Truck or Camper/Caravan Route profile
    You can set the MAX speed of the the vehical journey the results should give you an reasonable guesstimate for you journey time at 'n' MPH

Note... The speed information is not carried across to the Car or Motorcycle devices during the route transfer/sync... the device will re-calculate the journey to the Route type used in the Setting menu

ATB YFM
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 752
    Superuser
    Hi, I do agree that this would be a nice feature setting the maximum speed for route calculation but I have never seen it in any "modern" motorcycle GPS. Am I wrong?

Have a nice day,
    Anders

It may help if a route is a straight line with no delays at all. Check your average speed. Usually it’s much much smaller than the supposed max speed.

Using real data, like TomTom does, is much more close to reality to have a good estimation. It would be nice to use some AI to do some estimations according to rider’s riding styles. Some riders may ride to the limit, some riders are very cautious and conservative.

I haven’t seen it in any modern navigation system too. To tell the truth I can’t see its usefulness in a motorcycle...
    Ste7ios wrote:
    I haven’t seen it in any modern navigation system too. To tell the truth I can’t see its usefulness in a motorcycle...

Hi,

You're right, it's not a big deal and as I said, it would just be a nice to have thing ...

Cheers,
    Anders
    Based on a preplanned long jouney in May and other shorter ones the arrival time at the top of the route bar is pretty accurate and I have noticed that depending upon the changing conditions the unit recalculates the time of arrival.
    I am referring to a rider 400 in this instance.