Spark 3 showing tomtom.com/reset, but not detected when plugged into PC

wolf2600
wolf2600 Registered Users Posts: 5
Apprentice Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
This morning my 2 month old Spark3 started displaying "tomtom.com/reset". When I went to that page, it said to plug the watch into my PC and let the Sports Connect reset the watch.

However when I plug the watch in to the PC, it isn't being detected by Sports Connect. I've tried connecting/reconnecting the watch from the dock and tried multiple USB ports.

Is there a way to force a hard reset of the watch which doesn't require connecting it to the PC?

Comments

• Raykad
    Raykad Registered Users Posts: 21
    Master Traveler
    If the watch is not detected on the computer there is no way to reset it.

Best would be to open the device manager (or have sound on that lets you know when you plug something in to the computer) and see if it shows up there when connected. If the Device Manager list gets updated when you plug it in it might give us some more details.

If it's not detected or even showing any sign of having a connection it could be the cable is broken. Best way to try this is on a different computer, of course. You don't need to install Sports Connect but just plug the watch in and see if the computer is trying to install drivers or notice something has been connected.

If all of this fails, contact TomTom to ask for a replacement cable. If that fails in the end it seems the pin(s) or something else might have damaged the connection and your watch needs to go in for a RMA.

Hope this helps a bit :)
  • wolf2600
    wolf2600 Registered Users Posts: 5
    Apprentice Traveler
    After leaving it unplugged overnight, this morning the watch was displaying a settings menu (but pressing buttons only gave a vibrate, the menu selection didn't change). After that I plugged the watch back into the computer it was detected and it went through the reset process. As soon as it finished successfully, it went back to the "something is wrong, click button to start reset process" screen.

Tried resetting several times, but it always went back to "need to reset". I have a ticket open with support.
  • Raykad
    Raykad Registered Users Posts: 21
    Master Traveler
    Try a Factory Reset in Recovery mode (last option in the article): https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17393/~/resetting-your-watch

Doesn't hurt to try it. Alternatively if you can a different computer that would be great :)