Tomtom RIDER 40 not charging from mount — TomTom Community

Tomtom RIDER 40 not charging from mount

MonkehMonkeh Posts: 29 [Outstanding Explorer]
edited January 2019 in RIDER
Hello, does anyone know why my tomtom rider 40 wont charge from the mount anymore? It used to charge fine but half way through my last tour it just stopped charging.

It charges fine with the usb lead in a wall socket, and im also getting 5.5v at the 2 gold pins on the mount.

This is the latest refurbished tomtom ive been sent and has hardly been used and never seen any rain.
718076e6-db87-4dbc-90e0-2832c910231b.jpg

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,429
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Monkeh

Are the two Pins on the Mount still spring-loaded or seized in the mount ???
    Are the two Pads on the back of Rider 40 tarnished ???

ATB YFM
  • ChrisHallChrisHall Posts: 256 [Exalted Navigator]
    It may show 5.5v as the open circuit voltage, but ideally you need to check under load (somehow!).

Clean and protect with ACF50
  • MonkehMonkeh Posts: 29 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Somehow ive marked that as the solution, both pins are still spring loaded and everything is clean.
  • MonkehMonkeh Posts: 29 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Support got back to me, all they said was buy a new mount. Useless *****
  • AndersNordhAndersNordh Posts: 275 [Supreme Navigator]
    Monkeh wrote:
    Support got back to me, all they said was buy a new mount. Useless *****

I know such an answer may be frustrating but ... on the other hand, what more can they say if you are out of the warranty period?

To rule out any issue with the GPS unit itself, do you have any friend with a working Tomtom 4xx/5xx mount you could try? Otherwise, I would opt for a new mount/charger. Think the cheapest will be on eBay ...

Hope you work it out.

Cheers,
    Anders
  • sobocanecsobocanec Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have the same problem. In addition to not charging from the mount, it doesn't turn ON with the ignition and doesn't go to sleep when turned OFF. This only started happening after I updated to new version 18.103.0020.311.....Another problem is, that I can no longer import My routes from MAC to mY Tom-tom Rider. What is going on?

Hope someone can solve this problem, without me having to buy new mount/charger.
    Best regards, sobocanec.
  • AlanSCAlanSC Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    My new Rider 500 won't power the satnav either. I've checked the power going into it - 12volts but nothing comes out of the pins. I've resorted to using the usb connection via an adapter in the socket in a glove box of my scooter. Support wants me to send it to Rumania for repair. I've asked instead for a replacement but they are refusing.

It seems to be a major problem, judging from this forum.