Why Is It Always A Battle.........

Paul Miller
Paul Miller Registered Users Posts: 11
Legendary Explorer
edited January 2019 in MyDrive Connect
...........to get MyDrive to download to my GO50. I'm only trying to download the system software and not the maps or other updates. I've been trying for over an hour. First time it stuck at 85%. Then it said 0% and 3 minutes and stayed that way. I've uninstalled MyDrive and reinstalled it, cleared all the data and eventually it connected to my device and started downloading again. I watched the progress intently. It approached and passed 85%. Hurrah I (prematurely) said. It got to 88% and then went to 0% and 'Less than a minute' and has stayed that way. WHY IS IT SUCH A FRUSTRATING EXPERIENCE WHENEVER I TRY TO UPDATE MY DEVICE. It really is not worth it any more. I don't need the stress and resulting anger that this process causes. It should be so simple, but in reality, it really is the most appalling system imaginable.

I using Window 10 and the device is connected directly to my PC. Can anyone save my sanity before I thrown this piece of garbage away?

Comments

• tugman
    tugman Registered Users Posts: 337
    Revered Navigator
    I've been experiencing similar problems with my 400. It connected to the pc but the window was not the normal update screen but the route loading screen. At the same time the mydrive pc screen was showing no connection.
    I then lost the internet access to the pc but my mobile worked ok using the modem.
    I had lost the pc internet connection as I had lost the Ethernet 2 ip address.
    With help I removed a file and rebooted. That has solved all the problems and I was then able to update o.k.
    Not sure if this may be of help.
    During all this like you I removed and 're installed mydrive but to no avail. It was after that, that I lost the ip address.
  • Paul Miller
    Legendary Explorer
    Mine eventually downloaded the new system software but has been stuck for over 2 hours on 'Checking....' It is quite simply awful. How can a company with the supposed stature in the 'sat nav' business have such a dreadful interface for updating your device.
  • LAURE123
    LAURE123 Posts: 1,632
    Superuser
    Hi @Paul Miller

Your antivirus and/or firewall may block your download. I had to make a total exception for both on my PCs to be able to finalize my TomTom updates. I don't have the choice to do otherwise.

You may have a memory space problem. The full map EU is 7.7GB, it doesn't fit on the internal memory of 8GB or a microSD 8GB. You need a class 10 microSD 16GB (max 32GB)
    Look at this topic:
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-5xxx-6xxx-series-go-4xx-6xx-series-go-via-and-start-4x-6x-series-mydrive-connect-176/memory-card-not-recognised-go-5000-1037789/index1.html#post1228002

Otherwise contact TomTom support:
    :flag_gb: United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Regards.
  • tugman
    tugman Registered Users Posts: 337
    Revered Navigator
    Hi Paul
    I experienced the same "checking " just hanging there as well so just crashed out in the end in frustration.
    I think this anti virus software angle is just a red herring as I never turn mine of while using or updating and I do not normally experience any problems.
    I only start to experience problems after the recent large update.
  • LAURE123
    Superuser
    Hi @tugman

Firstly my previous message isn't addressed to you but to Paul Miller.

..."a red herring" ... You say I'm lying about my personal experience, what I am really doing on my own PCs? Have you seen the "maybe"?

I never said to disable the protection of the PC but to make an exception. Do you understand the difference? You can assume that we don't necessarily use the same PC security software.
    I inform you that I have no problem to do all my updates. But maybe I'm still lying... ?

Have a good day. :slight_smile:
  • Paul Miller
    Legendary Explorer
    As far as I'm aware with my Avast AV, I can only make an exception in the Firewall which does allow MyDrive access to the internet, but I don't think it is possible to do the same in the Virus Protection.
  • LAURE123
    Superuser
    Hi @Paul Miller

I hope that since yesterday you could do your download.

To answer your question about Avast. I don't know this software doesn't use it. But I found a link in their FAQ explaining the procedure for global exclusion for all scans and shields. This may be able to help you:
    https://support.avast.com/en-gb/article/168/

Also check if in the MDC settings the option "Download updates to my computer (recommended)" is checked.

4060d137-92a9-4bfd-bcdc-0be9ee448b10.png
    Regards.
  • Paul Miller
    Legendary Explorer
    Thanks for the link and details. I have gone into my Avast and made an exception to my TomTom folder to see if that helps. All my MDC settings are as above.

Thanks again for your help.
  • LAURE123
    Superuser
    @Paul Miller

In general, it isn't the MDC/TomTom folder that causes the problem but the executable of the software. Especially with the protections in real time.
    This file:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\MyDrive Connect\TomTom MyDrive Connect.exe

In the firewall it's necessary to put this file in exclusion for the private and public networks and to authorize all the connections.

If you are not stuck in MDC try to empty the download folder and do a soft reset of your device before reconnecting it.

- Soft Reset:
    Press and hold the On/Off button until you hear the drum sounds and the device restarts. This can take 30 seconds or more. If you see a black screen with white text, hold down the button to hear the drum sounds.
    You will not lose anything and this manipulation solves and often unblocks small worries.

- Empty download folder:
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15227/related/1

The weekend isn't the perfect time to make updates, there are many people at the same time on TomTom servers.
    I cross my fingers for you.

Regards.
  • LAURE123
    Superuser
    I forgot, VPNs can also block the transmission, there are several examples on this forum. The only known solution is uninstalling the VPN driver while using MDC.
  • Paul Miller
    Legendary Explorer
    Thanks again. I've now put the path to the programme in the exclusions. I do use a VPN, so maybe I will need to turn that off next time I try to update.

Cheers