Confused about pace calculation

KellyBoBelly
KellyBoBelly Registered Users Posts: 3
New Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
Hi, I apologize if this has been asked and answered, but so far my searching hasn't been successful. (also please don't laugh at my turtle paces!)

About a week ago I was delighted to see that I'd suddenly somehow gotten a lot faster, getting "fastest short run" icons and seeing I'd shaved more than a minute off my time in the "pace" field for the 2 mile lap segment of my run (highlighted below: I have my watch set up for an interval program: 5 minute walk warm-up, 2 mile run, 5 minute walk cool-down).

However, now that I look in more detail at my run on the web interface, I see that something isn't adding up: under Pace (which I'm assuming is average pace?) it shows 10:50, however the map view shows my fastest pace to be 11:10, so something isn't adding up. Since the second image actually shows pace at each second I'm more inclined to believe that, but I'm not really inclined to try to pull out more than 1,300 data points to calculate the average myself.

Obviously, I'm not running for speed, but I am trying to get better, and it's hard to know if I'm improving if I can't trust my gear. What can I do to fix this? Any tips would be appreciated!

b0a73c53-3b36-4bcb-b06b-718305d8f759.png

b1c94467-4557-4ff7-9d9b-45d70e0846b9.png

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,943
    Superuser
    They are using a slightly different data series. The pace is showing a specially smoothed pace - this is the values that the watch is showing in the pace screen. Unfortunately, the smoothing can cause the average values to be slightly off. If you want to avoid this, you can use the lap pace or the average pace field on the watch, which will align directly with the split / lap times. To summarize, the split times will be more accurate than the pace shown in the graph.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.