Community map update has broken screen colours Ride 420 — TomTom Community

Community map update has broken screen colours Ride 420

JonBrJonBr Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 2019 in RIDER
Hi

I just updated my Ride 420 to the latest Eurpoean maps (v10.11) and applied the community map update. Now the on screen map display is all shades of white / grey, hard to read and the menu is unreadable too as the text is white on white. How can I restore the colours? There are no longer any options on the "map colour" sub menu.

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,326
    Superusers
    Try a drum reset on the unit by holding the power button about 20 seconds till you hear the drum sounds. That is, unless your model has a dedicated reset hole on the bottom.
  • JonBrJonBr Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Yes, a (factory) reset fixed it. I did it via the system menu but had to re-enter my MyDrive details.

This sort of problem should not happen on a mature product. TomTom have been in this market for decades - you'd think they'd have a slicker UI by now, but no, it's clunky as hell..
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,445
    Superusers
    Hi
    @JonBr

As dhn suggests Drum roll restart will clear the Free Memory and improve the UI

Have you tried a Drum roll restart on the device ????

https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6965//session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDI2NjM0NDUyL3NpZC9EQTdTVHpobQ

Charge the device for at least 2Hrs "OR" have the device plugged into a power supply
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound then release the on/off button.
    You won’t lose anything; it’s just like rebooting your PC
    I use a Soft/drum-roll start after any upgrade large or small.
    It’s also useful to keep in mind for sorting out most minor niggles......

If possible, for the for the first Satellite fix, go outside with a clear view of the Sky

ATB YFM
  • JonBrJonBr Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I accept the restart as a workaround, but really this product should not be needing it. Imagine if your mobile had to be reset just to restore basic functionality. You'd be cross.

I tried it on the bike this evening. Couldn't get it into 3D mode (it was enabled in the settings). Again, a reboot fixed it.

For a device costing £300+ I think it's unacceptable. I might attempt to contact TomTom about it but I understand they are not receptive to the problems their customers are suffering. I sure wish I'd known that before I dropped all that cash on it!
  • tugmantugman Posts: 337 [Revered Navigator]
    Does this drum roll only work after an update or a problem as I have yet to hear it on my 400
  • mikeinnewportmikeinnewport Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Oh, I did the community maps update because I was getting a warning message that my maps were 6 months out of date..... etc

Guess what; now the message says that my maps are 583 months out of date. Ho hum.
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,854
    Superuser
    @mikeinnewport

Community mapshare updates are only are minor changes and do NOT include changes to road geometry, so even if you were to do these update on a weekly basis your device would still issue warnings that it is months out of date, unless you have a lifetime maps subscription, you will have to purchase a new subscription
  • EXPORTMANEXPORTMAN Posts: 634
    Superusers
    Complaining about soft resets? Do you have a windows computer? or indeed a modern phone both of these need regular re boots to keep them working correctly and if you think about it Windows has been around for over 30 years, anyone remember windows millennium edition? Whilst the latest incarnations may be more reliable they still have bugs. Mobile phones seem to have a built in two year life span. On balance I don't think tomtom is doing too badly.
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 752
    Superuser
    This is not the picture of the whole smartphone market. What you said describes the mid-low end market of Android smartphones.

Apple iOS devices (iPhone, iPad) have a much longer lifespan about 5-6 years, longer if you don’t care about the latest OS, app & security updates...

Windows is another story. The current family based on Windows NT was always much more stable than the Windows family... Reboots and crashes where limited when running on selected hardware...

Software will indeed always have bugs but TomTom’s current implementation has many fundamental flaws & bugs, inexcusable for a device of that usage... It should be more reliable.