Start 20 and memory stick — TomTom Community

Start 20 and memory stick

I want to buy a map of Turkey and put in on a stick as my memory is too small.
Do I have to switch between in built memory and the stick or do I not have to bother?
Does the map On the stick with the same speed?
who has experience with this On the Start 20?

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,301
    Superusers
    It is MyDriveConnect that determines if there is sufficient space on internal for additional map(s). If so, the map goes on internal. If not, it goes on the sd card if one is available.

I would suspect a map of Turkey is not very large and would fit on internal but, if you'd like, get an 8 or 16 gb microsdhc card. SanDisc is a good choice.
  • Edz2Edz2 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks for the answer. But I also would like to know the following.

My memory is nearly totale used, so I suppose I have to put the map On the external memorystick.
    I go to Turkey by car throug other countries and all the European Maps are Now On the internal memory.
    My questions are these:
    • Does the TomTom automatically switch from internal to external memory when I Drive in Turkey (which Will be On the external memory), or do I have to do something?
    • is TomTom reacting with the same speed if the map is On the external memory?
    I want to be sure that it’s worth buying and Will help me On my way through Turkey.
    Superusers
    No. Once you are in Turkey, you'll have to go through the process of Manage maps-->switch maps and select Turkey.

When I have any maps on an external sd card, I have not found any slowness in speed of access. Make sure you buy a card with class 10+ speed.
  • Edz2Edz2 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks a lot!
    maybe a stupid (last) question, but I do not know this proces of managing maps. Can you do this On the TomTom itself, or do you need MyDrive Connect (I hope not).
    Superusers
    It's done on the device.