Import GPX routes

JWZ
JWZ Registered Users Posts: 3
Apprentice Traveler
edited January 2019 in MyDrive Connect
MyDrive currently lets you import gpx-track files.
Will it be possible in the future to import gpx-waypoint files to upload a route instead of a track?

Comments

• MrM
    MrM Registered Users Posts: 160
    Revered Navigator
    Good question. Now you have to create the waypoints via MyPlaces.
  • JWZ
    Apprentice Traveler
    I thought MyDrive > MyPlaces is where you place your POI.
    You can import OV2 files.

On MyDrive > PlanRoute you can compose a route and save it as a route. Which basically consists of a list of waypoints, Sending this route to your device will make it calculate how to travel. You can save this route and it will show up under MyDrive > MyRoutes

The import of a GPX file (in MyDrive > MyRoutes) results in a predefined track. Sending this to your device will not make your device calculate a route but it will simply follow the track.

I want to create a route (list of waypoints) outside of MyDrive and be able to import it.
    I'm currently using .ITN files and copying them to SD-card but it would be a nicer experience to being able to import them using MyDrive.
    I understand TomTom is abandoning the .ITN files and focusing solely on the GPX format.
  • MrM
    Revered Navigator
    Create in MyDrive a route and use "Send to Device" button. Before Saving. If you save to MyRoutes MyDrive will synchronise the route as a TRACK and you loose your via-points (WP's).
  • JWZ
    Apprentice Traveler
    You are correct, just found out that if you save them and sync with device you get them as tracks, WTF!
    Sending the route directly to the device you get waypoints, YEAH.

Anyway looking for a way to import waypoints which are generated externally.
  • Barteke
    Barteke Registered Users Posts: 4
    Neophyte Traveler
    I can not succeed syncing a route from MyDrive to me Rider 550 as a route. When I click "Send to Device" it only sends a track (when i checked the box 'synchronise as a track'), or it sends only the location.

Anyone any idea how I can sync a complete route with waypoints to my device from MyDrive?? It would be great if i could do this..
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 21,161
     Superuser
    Hi
    @JWZ

Using the MyDrive Web Route planner 'Send to device' option
    To send an .ITN Route to the MyRoutes folder on the device

The MyDrive Web Route planner only sends the route to the device as a destination... Or if you add stops it send it as a route (But it's is not automatically saved in MyRoutes)

Using 'Send to device' see my workaround in the below

See... https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-5xxx-6xxx-series-go-4xx-6xx-series-go-via-and-start-4x-6x-series-mydrive-connect-176/planned-route-not-showing-on-tt-6250-1034143/index1.html#post1216212

For more info See... https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/mydrive-connect-apps-474/tomtom-route-planner-route-selection-on-the-go-5100-differ-1030046/index1.html#post1198253

ATB YFM
  • Barteke
    Neophyte Traveler
    Thanks for your answer!
    Does this mean that it is not possible to prepare a route in My Drive Web Route Planner, with multiple stops (or waypoints), and send it to the device, so it appears as a route in the device with 'my routes'?

In my opinion, it only sends the destinations, and not the route...

The only way to do that is by connecting the device to the computer with USB? So it is totally not possible, making a route on the app on the phone, and then syncing the entire route as a route (not as a track) tot the device?
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    Barteke wrote:
    Thanks for your answer!
    Does this mean that it is not possible to prepare a route in My Drive Web Route Planner, with multiple stops (or waypoints), and send it to the device, so it appears as a route in the device with 'my routes'?
    The MDW Route planner 'Send to device' option, literally sends an .ITN Route to the device, the route can be just a Destination or a Multi Stop Route the route will be planned from your Present location
    The Bug....
    But as in my previous post, be aware of if the Planned Start location is not your Current location the MDW Route planner moves your Planned Start location to your Present location and in the process drops your your original Planned Start location ( Use a sacrificial stop to maintain the features of your original route)
    For more info See....
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/mydrive-connect-apps-474/tomtom-route-planner-route-selection-on-the-go-5100-differ-1030046/index1.html#post1198253

Saving the .ITN Route....
    (1)... If you .ITN route starts at you present location say 'Home' there's no need to change the route before saving the route using the method in my Workaround

(2)... if the Planned Start location is not your Current location then as the 'Send to device' option calculates your route from your present location you need to delete the additional part of the route from your present location to your planned location
    Then save the route using the method in my Workaround

The Workaround... See....
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-5xxx-6xxx-series-go-4xx-6xx-series-go-via-and-start-4x-6x-series-mydrive-connect-176/planned-route-not-showing-on-tt-6250-1034143/index1.html#post1216212

d0ba6523-b8f7-44c8-9af8-e058e660739e.jpg
    You can also use a 3rd party route planner to Plan & Save the .ITN route to your desktop and transfer the Route using a Micro SDHC memory Card

ATB YFM
  • Barteke
    Neophyte Traveler
    Again, thanks for the quick repsonse!

However, i can not succeed to receive a route (solid arrow) in 'My Routes'.. When i click on 'send to device', i only sync a single destination, not a route.

The only thing i can do is sync a track, bet then i have less possibilities whilde riding.
  • MrM
    Revered Navigator
    Did you use an usb cable?
    By the way, if you use the option 'Share' in MDW, while the route is open in Edit mode, you can also download it a .gpx. You wil then see that this .gpx consists two files: a route and a track.
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    Hi
    @Barteke

It appears you are not fully completing the Workaround process
    Can I suggest you reread the Workaround... See....
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-5xxx-6xxx-series-go-4xx-6xx-series-go-via-and-start-4x-6x-series-mydrive-connect-176/planned-route-not-showing-on-tt-6250-1034143/index1.html#post1216212

First plan you route using the MDW Route planner
    Use the 'Send to device' option to sync the route to the device

Saving a .ITN Route to MyRoutes....
    Option (1)... If you .ITN route starts at your present location say 'Home' there's no need to change the route before saving the route

With the route displayed on the devices planning screen
    Saving the Route
    'Quick Tap' anywhere on the Route --> A quick menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot icon --> Manage route --> Add to my Routes.... Edit the route name as required or simply Tap Add

Option (2)... if the Planned Start location is not your Current location then as the 'Send to device' option calculates your route from your present location you need to delete the additional part of the route from your present location to your planned location
    The device will have calculated your route from your 'Present location'

When the route has calculated, Pinch zoom to the correct start of your Route (The Sacrificial Stop Icon)
    'Long Tap' (Tap and hold for +1 second) on the Sacrificial Stop Icon --> A quick menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot icon --> Choose 'Use as a Starting Point'

The device will recalculate your route from your new location

Saving the Route
    'Quick Tap' anywhere on the Route --> A quick menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot icon --> Manage route --> Add to my Routes.... Edit the route name as required or simply Tap Add

Note... (1) A 'Quick Tap' and 'Long Tap' of the screen gives different menu options
    Note... (2) The MyDrive Web Route planner will sync a route with a Max of 20 stops

ATB YFM
  • Barteke
    Neophyte Traveler
    MrM wrote:
    Did you use an usb cable?
    By the way, if you use the option 'Share' in MDW, while the route is open in Edit mode, you can also download it a .gpx. You wil then see that this .gpx consists two files: a route and a track.

No, I dont use a usb cable. I just the 'send to device' option instead of physically connecting the device to the computer.
  • MrM
    Revered Navigator
    No, I mean using the 'Send to Device' option and have the device connected by usb. If I do not connect my phone (with the TT GoMobile app) by usb and have the Go Mobile app open, I do not receive the itn route.
    Not sure if that is the same for the Rider.
  • GlenBurdis_555
    GlenBurdis_555 Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Seeker
    Is it possible to import a GPX file into the Apple App TomTom Go?
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 10,057
    Superuser
    Hi @GlenBurdis_555

When you set up the Go Navigation App on you phone and logged it into your My Drive Account then it should sync any Saved Routes in your My Drive Account. So if you create a new route on the My Drive Website or in the My Drive App and save it there then it should sync to the App.

Doug