tomtom START 52 No use- if you don’t have the full address

Robwelly
Robwelly Registered Users Posts: 1
New Traveler
edited January 2019 in Devices using MyDrive Connect
So my old tomtom wouldn’t get a gps signal and as I’m a telecommunications engineer I work in the hills and out in the country a lot so I purchased the tomtom start 52 for £80. This thing is the biggest waste of time and tomtom should be ashamed of this device.
First of all you have to have the full address so you need a postcode and street name or it won’t start planning the route. No longer can you use only the postcode. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the old system and people have been complaining about this for(as far as I can see) 7 years! 7 years and you still can’t be bothered to do anything about it.
So I figured, not too bad as I can use push pins to take me to the longitude latitude for the masts. That would be fantastic if the stupid thing wouldn’t delete your poi’s each time the device turns off. So I called the ‘help centre’ and they said I could if I wanted, google the postcode and type the longitude latitude and get to my destination that way. Well I’d rather use a decent device and use the postcode.
tomtom your a disgrace and your start 52 is a waste of time and money. Il go garmin or get a better smartphone!

Comments

• YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,829
     Superuser
    Hi
    @Robwelly

Re... Your Old device
    Have you tried a Drum roll restart on the device ????

https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6965//session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDI2NjM0NDUyL3NpZC9EQTdTVHpobQ

Charge the device for at least 2Hrs "OR" have the device plugged into a power supply
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound then release the on/off button.
    You won’t lose anything; it’s just like rebooting your PC
    I use a Soft/drum-roll start after any upgrade large or small.
    It’s also useful to keep in mind for sorting out most minor niggles......

If possible, for the for the first Satellite fix, go outside with a clear view of the Sky

Postcode + House Number
    This is a long standing problem....
    The Postcode code search bug when using the latest Start 42/52/62 devices is a real pain
    Any search for a Postcode... You have to enter a road/street name to execute a search ??? Why....
    If you know the road/street name and a house number you don't need the Postcode
    Most people use a Postcode because they don't know the road/street name and house number
    Isolated farms, Single building, Office blocks, Retail parks, Hospitals, New builds etc...
    For me it renders the latest Start device useless in the UK

It's only the latest Start 42/52/62 Range that has this particular Step by Step search method

All of the previous NAV4 Models and the remaining Models in the NAV5 Range... The Via and GO Range have both the "Quick search" and "Step by Step search" as menu options
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> System --> Choose a search mode
    Option... (1).... Quick Search (Default)
    Option... (2)... Step by Step

See...https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-5xxx-6xxx-series-go-4xx-6xx-series-go-via-and-start-4x-6x-series-mydrive-connect-176/location-search-functionality-on-start-52-postcode-only-1018199

ATB YFM
  • gavla
    gavla Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    YamFazMan wrote:
    Hi
    @Robwelly

Re... Your Old device
    Have you tried a Drum roll restart on the device ????

https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6965//session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDI2NjM0NDUyL3NpZC9EQTdTVHpobQ
    Charge the device for at least 2Hrs "OR" have the device plugged into a power supply
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound then release the on/off button.
    You won’t lose anything; it’s just like rebooting your PC
    I use a Soft/drum-roll start after any upgrade large or small.
    It’s also useful to keep in mind for sorting out most minor niggles......

If possible, for the for the first Satellite fix, go outside with a clear view of the Sky__________________________

Postcode + House Number
    This is a long standing problem....
    The Postcode code search bug when using the latest Start 42/52/62 devices is a real pain
    Any search for a Postcode... You have to enter a road/street name to execute a search ??? Why....
    If you know the road/street name and a house number you don't need the Postcode
    Most people use a Postcode because they don't know the road/street name and house number
    Isolated farms, Single building, Office blocks, Retail parks, Hospitals, New builds etc...
    For me it renders the latest Start device useless in the UK

It's only the latest Start 42/52/62 Range that has this particular Step by Step search method

All of the previous NAV4 Models and the remaining Models in the NAV5 Range... The Via and GO Range have both the "Quick search" and "Step by Step search" as menu options
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> System --> Choose a search mode
    Option... (1).... Quick Search (Default)
    Option... (2)... Step by Step

See...https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-5xxx-6xxx-series-go-4xx-6xx-series-go-via-and-start-4x-6x-series-mydrive-connect-176/location-search-functionality-on-start-52-postcode-only-1018199
    ATB YFM
    is there anyway round this issue as im a courier and rural places dont have street names,this is driving me mad
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,829
     Superuser
    Hi
    @gavla

Until Tomtom sort out the Postcode Problem on the latest Start series
    The only fix is use/buy one of the latest Via or Go Devices

To contact Tomtom support....
    See...https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/travel-lounge-154/tomtom-records-me-as-living-in-a-different-country-1040003/index1.html#post1236472

ATB YFM
  • gavla
    gavla Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    I plan to take the start 65 back tomorrow and try and exchange it for a via ,that's what I had last time ,much better sat nav