Constantly losing connection to GPS

Jill_
Jill_ Registered Users Posts: 4
Neophyte Traveler
edited December 2021 in Devices using MyDrive Connect
I have a Start 20, about 2 yrs old. It takes a long time to connect to GPS, then constantly loses GPS connection. Obviously it's of no use as a guidance system and I wondered if anyone has a solution before I bite the bullet and purchase another.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Niall
    Niall Posts: 11,112
    Superuser
    @Jill_

When was the last time you connected your device to MyDrive Connect and uploaded a QuickGPSfix file?
    Then remember after each up date to do a soft reset, you will loose nothing, it is like rebooting your computer and reloads all the new files from an update.

A soft reset :- with your device charged for at least 2Hrs "OR" have the device plugged into a power supply; press and hold your on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound (or the TomTom hands symbol appears) then release the on/off button. Make sure you are outside and have a clear view of the sky (satellites)
  • Jill_
    Neophyte Traveler
    Thank you Niall, I have done as you suggest. I often update my sat nav (did so before going out today) but haven't been doing a soft reset. I have done one now, I will take Tom for a ride tomorrow just to test him out, and let you know if it's worked.
  • Jill_
    Neophyte Traveler
    @Niall - unfortunately, soft rest doesn't fix the problem. I note that the procedure should wipe favourites - it doesn't, so looks like the satnav is more out of order. I see that there is an option to reset to factory settings - seems to me I may as well try that now.
    Thank you for trying to help but obviously my machine isn't fixable so simply.