Via 53 freezing and re-booting in middle of journey's

sololite
sololite Registered Users Posts: 11
Apprentice Traveler
edited December 2021 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
Our recent Via 53 is letting us down at the moment. It will sometimes freeze in the middle of a journey - you can imagine what that feels like when you come to a junction. Sometimes it will give a black screen and after a while re-boot. Once in the middle of a journey it requested connecting to a computer to get updates. Switching off and on will often give a black screen and then it will spring to life after a couple of minutes. Sometimes it gives our location as a different country!

Does this sound like a hardware issue and need to be replaced? Can I get this done via TomTom - taking it back to original store is a none runner as we are miles away from it.

Thanks for all your advice

Comments

• dhn
    dhn Posts: 33,382
    Superuser
    Are you connected to the car charger in the auto, not a usb port if you have one?

Try a drum reset on the unit by holding the power button about 20 seconds till you hear the drum sounds.

Also, by chance, is the device located next to a dash cam in your car? Often those devices are known to interfere with the signal for the GPS.
  • sololite
    Apprentice Traveler
    Thanks for taking an interest DHN. We only use the cigarette lighter charger and don’t have a dash cam or any other devices in play except for our iPhones, I haven’t done the drum reset but will give it a go
  • sololite
    Apprentice Traveler
    Halfords replaced the unit, saying it may be from a faulty batch. Will report back soon.
  • big
    big Posts: 1,712
    Superuser
    Sounds like a software bug to me. Many people report similar behaviour (including me). Patiently waiting for the next firmware bug fix release. Very patiently.