TomTom Android App display errors — TomTom Community

TomTom Android App display errors

PauruSumisuPauruSumisu Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
I am running the latest Android App and the Menu system does not display... it still works if you take the screen, but is not showing up....

Anyone else have the same issue?
I have restarted the phone
I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app
I have changed font size / display size

No joy...

Comments

• cerij101cerij101 Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Mine does this as well, but I presumed it was because I'm using Android P beta. Which version of Android are you on?
  • AnpaAnpa Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    Same issue on Android P. Text not displaying in menus. All other apps I have installed are working fine.
  • AsprinAsprin Posts: 243 [Exalted Navigator]
    No Beta version of Android are supported.

Those who have installed Android v9.0 (P) Beta are on your own.

That goes for any OS that you might install on your phone.

Until 9.0 is officially released it will not be supported.

That goes for and new versions of Android.

You and I know that there will be problems with and new Android release.

Each manufacture has to test the new version before you or anyone will get the update on his or her Smartphone.

And then there is no guarantee TomTomGo will work 100%.

There will be problems.

That goes for any app's working 100%.
    [h1]
    [/h1]
    Very helpful.
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,579 Superuser
    @cerij101

As you have gone down the "Beta" route I would suggest that you open a ticket with Customer Services to kept the development team abreast of all the pitfalls that you have encumbered, using this link https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/contact_incident/c/4695/p/3897/es/2
    Niall wrote:
    @cerij101

As you have gone down the "Beta" route I would suggest that you open a ticket with Customer Services to kept the development team abreast of all the pitfalls that you have encumbered, using this link https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/contact_incident/c/4695/p/3897/es/2
    Thanks, I'll do that. Just to be clear, I expect issues with apps when using a beta OS and my earlier reply was only to see if this was the issue the OP was experiencing.
    Asprin624 - Not very helpful advice, I don't think anyone in this thread suggested that we should expect it to work on Android Beta. That doesn't change the fact that out of 50 installed apps, TomTom is the only one not working (and not having received an update for 9 months, hello Android Auto), and despite Android P having reached final API and soon releasing to the general public.
    @Anpa,

Well what can I say.

You have problems that are not supported.

And everyone comes up with the same lines over and over again.

I quote you:
    "That doesn't change the fact that out of 50 installed apps

And so they have not come up with a new version after 9 months."

It works for me and many many others using a full released versions of Android.

NO BETA....... NOT on a HEAD UNIT or Running TomTomGO with your smartphone upside.

And ANDROID AUTO ETC, ETC, ETC

This is from the Google Beta site:

I quote:

"Please be aware of these general notes about the release:
    • This release may have various stability, battery, or performance issues on supported devices.
    • Some apps may not function as expected when running on this public beta release. This includes Google’s apps as well as other apps.
    • Android P beta devices aren't Compatibility Test Suite (CTS) approved, but they have passed preliminary testing and provide the same set of APIs for developers. Apps that depend on CTS-approved builds might not work normally on supported devices."
    If you are a Beta tester then give this info to them.........
    Asprin, this error is with TomTom not Android. And I am literally giving them this info and creating awareness by posting here.

What part of this do you not understand? :-)
    @Anpa,

You need to pass this info on to the Google Beta team.

They need to know of any problems that might come up.

They clearly state "Some apps may not function as expected"

This includes Google’s apps as well as other apps.

This is what you do not understand.

And see that Beta versions of Android are not supported here.

The chances that TomTom is working with the Beta version you are using is very small.

They will be testing over many different Smartphone companies and when they are at a point that they feel when the final version comes out to say it will work or they have to update TomTomGO they will let you know.

And not all smartphones will be updated from Android 8.x to 9.x

Enough on this subject time to move on.
    Asprin624 wrote:
    They clearly state "Some apps may not function as expected"This includes Google’s apps as well as other apps

This is not an error on the side of Google/Android. Android P is bringing in new API changes, and a lot of them are in rendering of fonts/vulkan support/etc - I'm willing to bet something that TomTom relies on here has changed. This is a completely natural part of OS updates, and when an app stops functioning, it is most likely the app developers that has to do a code update and not Google. Just becuase Google says that apps may stop functioning, does not mean it is Google responsibility to update.
    This is what you do not understand.
    And see that Beta versions of Android are not supported here.
    The chances that TomTom is working with the Beta version you are using is very small.

It is not "very small". This late in the Beta phase (final release) apps should start working and if they are not, they should be aware their software is not working. All other apps on my device are working.
    They will be testing over many different Smartphone companies and when they are at a point that they feel when the final version comes out to say it will work or they have to update TomTomGO they will let you know.

At some point? You realize this is most likely coming out in less than 2 months right? We have reached final stage, and usually this means 1-3 months to release.
    And not all smartphones will be updated from Android 8.x to 9.x

No of course not, this does not exempt someone from supporting it and is also irellevant.

Please don't post if you do not understand what you are talking about - I am not requesting a refund or throwing a tantrum, I was only letting TomTom know that there is an issue. TomTom now has some threads about this (I saw there are some others now too), so my part is done.

Good luck!
  • Gary42Gary42 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Well I received the official release last night on my Pixel 2 and found this problem when I started TomTom Go this morning on my way to work.
    Came straight here to find the app hasn't been updated to be compatible with Android Pie.
    Pretty sure this isn't the first time this has happened :thinking:

Has anyone seen any info on when they will be releasing a fixed app?
    [h2]When is Android Pie coming out?[/h2]It was released for Pixel phones on 6 August 2018. It's then up to each individual Android hardware manufacturer, in conjunction with mobile operators, to roll it out to other phones. This will take some time, sometimes even months.

With this just coming out on Aug 6th. TomTom will wait till all hardware manufacturer have updated smartphones before they do anything.

There will be problems and how many problems there are will be the factor as to when TomTom will update their TomTomGo app for android.

That goes for any GPS app out there as well as other apps.

So ladies and gentleman you will have to have patience.

The best is to report this to TomTom Support first before posting any problems here.

It will go a lot quicker giving info to support when one runs into problems with Android 9.

The Pixel 2 smartphone is a one off for now.

patience, patience, patience
  • Gary42Gary42 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Asprin624 wrote:
    [h2]When is Android Pie coming out?[/h2]With this just coming out on Aug 6th. TomTom will wait till all hardware manufacturer have updated smartphones before they do anything.

So we should have something in 2019 assuming by all you just mean current flagship phones :neutral_face:

Apart from suggesting reporting the bug to TomTom , which I have already done, I don't think anything else in your post made any sense!
  • JvdZJvdZ Posts: 53 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Asprin624 wrote:
    With this just coming out on Aug 6th. TomTom will wait till all hardware manufacturer have updated smartphones before they do anything.

There will be problems and how many problems there are will be the factor as to when TomTom will update their TomTomGo app for android.

That goes for any GPS app out there as well as other apps.

So ladies and gentleman you will have to have patience.

I really fail to understand why you feel you need to write a reply like that. It is nonsense to state that any APP developer needs to wait till all hardware manufacturers updated their phones, as the only thing that needs to be done is add android version compatibility. The Beta's for PIE have been out for quite some time now to give all these APP developers ample time to test their APP when they wish to do so.

I see regular posts from you making statements that really only should come from TomTom employees, so maybe you could be a little more restrained in your answers?

Jos
    What is not to understand.

How do any of you know that TomTomGo will have problems with any of the phones that are upgraded just because one person has reported a problem.

Or any new smartphones coming out on the market with version 9 or 9.01 installed will have problems.

I remember all the user's who had problems with v8 or 8.01 and still we are with this version of TomTomGo.

I have read many many posts of user's not doing something correctly only to blame it on the GPS app.

If only a small percentage of user's have problems I do not think TomTom is going to redo their Android app.

If many user's run into problems then maybe yes.

Until any of those updated smartphones report any problems to TomTom support and if changes need to be made they will be made.

Then there is the full release of Android v9 or 9.01.

How many times were there updates to other version of Android that have come out that caused problems related to apps?????

Only to have a patch or patches come down to the effected smartphones of the Android version in question so it could fix a problems.

Like I said you all need patience, patience, patience.

I am sorry you do not understand what I am saying here.
  • BogBeastBogBeast Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Just to add myself as one of the "many user's run into problems"

I too have the invisible menu options on my official Pixel 2 Pie update

Given how many of these phones there are out there I would suspect that this topic will get busy.
  • BoonstickBoonstick Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Yeah, Same problem here. Add me to the "The Pixel 2 smartphone is a one off for now" group.
    Seeing as we're such a small group it's probably best to leave this obvious and app breaking problem until everyone's phones updates just to make sure everyone is experiencing the same issue.
  • ren1969ren1969 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Same issue here now on a Google Pixel 2XL. Now Android P is an official release for the Pixel and Pixel 2 handsets, and is about to be released for other brands, I'd have thought TomTom would be on the case with their development team to rectify this... I'm sure that's why I pay an annual subscription after all... :thinking:
  • leexgxleexgx Posts: 28 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Well tomtom had been notified about this issue over a Month ago and had over 2 months to push out an update to make sure it worked on Android p it doesn't matter if it's beta they should have made sure it works on android p

because over the next two weeks it will automatically be pushed onto everybody's phone (pixel essential, 1 and 2, and pixel 3 in October 8th) that for people who ignore the notification, as Google products automatically install OTA updates after 0-3 weeks when on wifi and on power and your going to be getting more complaints all Because you did not want to test it in the android for pc development software or have a pixel 1 or higher phone to test it on

Beta android is nearly finished products it's more a prerelease then a beta so they should of been correcting issues before it went public and just ignoring it
  • FrozNFrozN Posts: 8 [Legendary Explorer]
    I have precisely the same issue as everyone else, so throw me into the "one user reporting bug, because he's on the new system" bag.
    And I don't really get @Asprin624 's attitude. It's plain bullshit. We should wait till every manufacturer decides to update their devices to Android Pie, and until then? Yeah, just ignore the issue altogether, because it doesn't matter - there are better things to do, than fix bug that makes the app unusable. SURE! BEST. IDEA. EVER. :thumbsup:
  • leexgxleexgx Posts: 28 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Not that I have seen (obviously they have ignored the issue, so mite not get update for another week or 8 now till they fix it)

They will pay more attention to it I guess when samsung users start getting the update
    leexgx wrote:
    Not that I have seen (obviously they have ignored the issue, so mite not get update for another week or 8 now till they fix it)

They will pay more attention to it I guess when samsung users start getting the update

Soooo, that means in around half a year or more. Yeaaaah.
    What everyone is over looking is the backward compatible of apps like TomTomGO.

Yes the Pixel phones are showing some problems but you need to look at the bigger issus here of backward compatible.

If Tomtom or any other GPS company runs out and makes quick changes for one type of smartphone that would be reckless to say the least.

You have to look at the bigger picture of all the user's using this app form Android 4.03 and up.

The last thing Tomtom or any other company needs to do is screw up those use's who have the app working OK with older versions of Android.

We are talking a very large number of older smartphones using GPS app along with other apps.

Plus there are many versions of Android Pie that will come out based on what manufacturer smartphones that are out there.

Even phone company provider add there restrictions in too.

And as for user's debating what I say that is OK but keep it on a professional level.

You all the right to express your problems but look at the bigger picture here.

It it very important to test all versions of Android PIE and make sure all is backward compatible before any new version of TomTomGO is released.

Not to screw up what was working before.......

How many user's have reported that until the update of Android Pie TomTomGO was working OK with Android 8 or 8.01
    @Asprin624 - again, Android Pie is Android Pie. It doesn't matter which manufacturer will change something as the system core and Google Services are the same. Do you even know anything about software development?
    About backwards compatibility - Oreo and Pie are very similar - I honestly don't get your point as it was compatible with Oreo and Jelly Bean at the same time. That means it's built to be backwards compatible and fixing a stupid bug k the latest system won't break it.