unit turns off unexpectedly — TomTom Community

unit turns off unexpectedly

My unit just turns off seemingly at random - sometimes even during start-up! Quite often simply disconnecting from power and reconnecting does the trick - at other times it takes as many as a dozen attempts - sometimes I just give up - but then it works OK the next day! I can have it connected to 12volt or computer and working for a couple of hours and then I'm advised that the battery is flat.
What's going on?

Comments

• NiallNiall Posts: 10,769
    Superuser
    @kawaw800

Are you using a USB port in your vehicle?
    As the USB ports in your vehicle provides only 0.5Amps whereas your device should have 1.2Amps to run AND charge the battery. With a vehicle USB port the reduced power means that the device tries to save it's power requirements by dimming the screen, reducing power to the SIM thus dropping traffic info, and, as you have found out, it then powers off rather than going to sleep.
    The charger must be rated at 5V 2amps [or use a PC USB port (not a laptop)] as the device draws 1.2amps.
    Try plugging the original cable into the original cigarette lighter charger, does it then keep shutting down?
  • kawaw800kawaw800 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Niall - thanks
    I think there's something in what you say - the unit is on a motorcycle and I suspect the power supply is tapped into a light circuit (so it turns off with the ignition). I've charged the unit up from the mains and will now monitor the power carefully. I'll then have a choice of upping the supply amps or getting into the habit of regular mains charging.
    I'll drop a line in a couple of weeks and let you know how things work out.
    Thanks
    John
  • kawaw800kawaw800 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi!
    I've adopted a regime of charging the unit up from the mains or in the car during a journey - it still leeches power over time when on the motorcycle and so I'm satisfied that the problem was as you described, the supply amperage is just too low to fully power the unit. Thanks for the advice - problem identified - resolution is in my hands.
    Cheers!
    John
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,769
    Superuser
    @kawaw800

Glad that you have found the source of the problem, so you now need to find a way to get a 5V 2 Amps power supply on your bike ;)