Apprentice Traveler
edited December 2021 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
My tomtom truck keeps turning off after latest update

Comments

• Niall
    Niall Posts: 11,113
    Superuser
    @robb1444

Are you using a USB port in your vehicle?
    As the USB ports in your vehicle provides only 0.5Amps whereas your device should have 1.2Amps to run AND charge the battery. With a vehicle USB port the reduced power means that the device tries to save it's power requirements by dimming the screen, reducing power to the SIM thus dropping traffic info, and, as you have found out, it then powers off rather than going to sleep.
    Try plugging the original cable into the original cigarette lighter charger, does it then keep shutting down?

Remember after each up date to do a soft reset, you will loose nothing, it is like rebooting your computer and reloads all the new files from an update.

A soft reset :- with your device charged for at least 2Hrs "OR" have the device plugged into a power supply; press and hold your on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound (or the TomTom hands symbol appears) then release the on/off button. Make sure you are outside and have a clear view of the sky (satellites)
  • robb1444
    robb1444 Registered Users Posts: 9
    Apprentice Traveler
    Am using the usb that came with the device
  • robb1444
    Apprentice Traveler
    This stared to happen after I updated the maps
  • Niall
    Superuser
    @robb1444

But are you using the original cable into the original cigarette lighter charger?

If you were using a weak source of power during the map update then the battery level will have fallen appreciatively, so when you reconnected to your vehicle troubles will then start.
  • robb1444
    Apprentice Traveler
    Yes it's original cable
  • Niall
    Superuser
    @robb1444
    Niall wrote:
    original cigarette lighter charger?
  • robb1444
    Apprentice Traveler
    Yes it is
  • Niall
    Superuser
    @robb1444

If you press the on/off button till the drum roll, then keep pressing till the screen is full of white text. Something like thisc091c9d8-ed82-4070-8974-22b0553657f3.jpg
    What level does your device show
    a) straight after disconnection from your vehicle?
    b) after being connected to your computer after a couple of hours?
  • robb1444
    Apprentice Traveler
    Will check it later when I go to my coach it's locked away on my coach for safety
    I will get back to you tonight
  • robb1444
    Apprentice Traveler
    Hi my tomtom now turns off and shows a red battery light when I unplug it even after being plugged in and in use after about 4 hours of use
  • big
    big Posts: 1,712
    Superuser
    Sounds like your battery has failed. If it is still under warranty then TomTom will replace the battery for you. If not, you can do it yourself if you are comfortable opening it.

Here is a place in the US which sells the battery -- you likely can find it in your country too, perhaps on ebay. (Don't know which country you're in, sorry.)
    https://www.newpower99.com/TomTom_GO_6200_Battery_Replacement_Kit_p/tomtom go 6200.htm
  • robb1444
    Apprentice Traveler
    Am in uk so will contact tomtom