My TomTom GO 500 formatted memory card is not recognized by TomTom Connect — TomTom Community

My TomTom GO 500 formatted memory card is not recognized by TomTom Connect

Months ago I tried to download map updates to my GO 500 but there was insufficient internal memory to allow it. I then bought a new 16GB microSDHC card, and yesterday I finally inserted it in the sat nav for updating. It formatted straight away without an error. I then selected what I wished to save on the card and I selected Maps.

I downloaded a map update to my sat nav expecting it to save on the SD card but it found space on the internal memory to save the update. There was 4 MB memory remaining on the device. I tried downloading a voice of 66 MB as a test to see if anything saved to the SD card but TT Connect didn't recognise that the memory card had been formatted. I had the option of deleting some items or formatting the card.

Checking the device under Settings it showed it was formatted for use on Tom Tom.

When I check the content on TT Connect, the card is visible but only a fraction of the memory has been used, I presume by the formatting.

What is going on and how can I save to the SD card.

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,311
    Superusers
    Close MyDriveConnect.

Try a drum reset on the unit by holding the power button about 20 seconds till you hear the drum sounds.

Then connect to the computer and open MyDriveConnect. See if it 'sees' the card then.
  • FiggertyFiggerty Posts: 15 [Outstanding Explorer]
    My Drive Connect sees my SD card but does not recognise it has been formatted to use on Tom Tom. See screen snip below:

b7ecb442-a005-4ff9-b83e-53ad0f87292a.png
    I contacted the TT call centre about this problem and had to do the drum roll reset for them. It made no difference. That's why I decided to look for help on the forum.

I have done another drum roll reset just now and it solves nothing. I tried downloading a Voice that was 66 MB in size and I still get the same response. Tom Tom Connect still thinks the SD card needs to be formatted. When I select Format Memory Card on the device I get this screen message "Cannot format memory card" as it's formatted for the Tom Tom file system and is ready for use.

Is there a way to speak to the Netherlands call centre rather than the Indian one.
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,311
    Superusers
    It's showing the memory card as being empty, not that it needs formatting.
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,814
    Superuser
    @Figgerty

The memory card can only be used for maps so to get the map on to the card and free up internal memory:-
    1. Take out the memory card
    2. Perform a soft reset
    3. Start MyDrive Connect (MDC) with the device connected
    4. Go the the MDC tab 'My content'
    5. Scroll down to 'My Maps' and select the Europe map
    6. To the right the there should be an option 'Install smaller map' select that
    7. Install Zone 4
    8. Add the 66Mb voice
    9. disconnect device
    10. insert memory card
    11. perform soft reset again
    12. reconnect device to computer
    13. MDC should then recognise the card again
    14. If you try installing the full map as per 6 above it should now be put on the memory card
    15. Perform a soft reset yet again
    A soft reset :- with your device charged for at least 2Hrs "OR" have the device plugged into a power supply; press and hold your on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound (or the TomTom hands symbol appears) then release the on/off button. Make sure you are outside and have a clear view of the sky (satellites)
    Thank you for the detailed instructions in your reply.

After the GO 500 finished formatting the SDHC memory card you have to choose if you wish to save Routes or Maps on the card. You can't select both. I choose Maps.

On My Drive Connect I can only find the map I have installed (Europe with UK & Ireland buildings) or Europe & some other country and buildings. I have selected Europe and France buildings and it is currently updating. I will then install the 66 MB voice. and carry on following your instructions from there.
    It reached 100% updating more than 90 minutes ago and then was "checking" It is still showing 100% & Checking.

It has finally stopped. But the information on the screen 4 MB remaining is exactly the same as before. but it now recognises the SD card is not installed.

It wont download the 66 MB voice because that can only go on the SD card. I checked my GO 500 and it still shows map Europe with UK & Ireland buildings. I selected Europe + France buildings to install. What was it doing for 2 hrs 30 mins.

There is definitely something wrong with My Drive Connect.

As I now have a 16GB SD card I want the full European maps on my device.
    Superuser
    @Figgerty

There is an outstanding flag for this situation, please be patient
    I'm happy to wait provided someone at Talk Talk accepts their is a problem. The sat nav will return to the car but it's too late to return the SD card.

I can't be the only one experiencing this problem.

Cheers and thanks for your help.
    there not their
    Superuser
    @Figgerty

Sorry to say but they will not be there till Monday :(

:flag_gb: United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
    Niall Exalted Vanguard Thank you for the reply.

My sat nav is working and is in the car. My laptop is free for use. The weather is beautiful outside and the cider and wine is cooling.

No hurry, no worry. Have a great weekend.
    Superuser
    @Figgerty

Glad that you now have a working device :)
    The device was always working. It is MY Drive Connect that is the problem in not recognising the Tom Tom formatted SD card. I will wait for the next full map update and hope that will save on the SD card.

I looked at Tom Tom Home yesterday and it was much easier to see what was on the device and easy to move items from the device to the memory card.

Is it possible to move the maps from the device via On My Drive Connect to the memory card and then have future updates save on the card.

My Active Map is Europe + United Kingdom + Ireland buildings
    Size: 7737 MB

but a much smaller map is on the device:
    Europe + United Kingdom + Ireland buildings
    Installed on your Device
    Size: 6182 MB
    Version: v10.10

As have 16 GB of external memory installed in the device I now have space for the full map. I will contact customer services to find out how I do this in the future.
    I'm not one to give up easily and decided to have a last go before waiting for the end of August map update release. I bought an SDHC card reader and checked the card to see what was on it. There was several small Tom Tom files so it seemed ok. I then connected the device to My Drive Connect ticking the maps to update. I got another on screen message saying there was insufficient space. I ignored that and started again. This time it seemed to carry on updating and when it finished I checked My Content in My Drive Connect. To my amazement I discovered this:

B+C6bWZfzaq7AAAAAElFTkSuQmCCAA==

My SDHC card now holds the maps with plenty space for more and the internal memory holds the rest. The map version on my device is Europe UK & Irl v 1011.9002

I have no idea why it worked the last time. Does anybody? :oncoming_automobile:
  • ajtoajto Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    edited June 2019
    16GB card eventually formatted in GO 610 after an hour messing around and I selected the maps instead of routes option, but when I select UK, Ireland and Europe buildings for download I keep getting directed to the memory card installation advice page implying I don't have enough memory. I honestly feel like throwing this thing in the bin and buying a Garmin.
  • LAURE123LAURE123 Posts: 1,599
    Superuser
    Hi @ajto

Look at this topic for the EU map with UK+Ir Buildings on the microSD. You need a 2nd map. That's what I do with my GO5100 that works like your GO610.
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1241492/#Comment_1241492

Regards.