Itinerary planning

BobBob
BobBob Registered Users Posts: 10
Legendary Explorer
edited December 2021 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
I have a GO 720 - long in the tooth but works great. Unfortunately TomTom no longer support this model and as my maps are noticeably getting outdated I have thought to buy a new model. Free map updates? Wow. I had to pay for all my updates so this would be an improvement at least!

My question is about itinerary planning. I have made extensive use of this feature by planning detailed routes, exactly as per the exact route close to the destination recommended by people who know the area - ie. using their local knowledge to avoid congestion, narrow roads etc.

Using Tyre software I plan the route, saving it as a TomTom 'Itinerary'. The Tomtom then computes the full route, incorporating the detailed itinerary closer to the destination.
This can be of enormous benefit if you are driving a large vehicle and your destination is in a very busy or hard to access area. (I drive a motorhome to campsites which are frequently in hard to get to places where the Caravan Club recommended route is the only way to get there in a large vehicle).

My question is therefore - do new model TomToms (eg. GO 620) permit such a method of route calculation? Do they recognise Tyre *.itn files? Having read a few online posts from lorry drivers who also use Itineraries for delivery planning I suspect that I may be disappointed. If so, shame on TomTom because they have taken a backward step in the evolution of their otherwise great product!

Any comments welcome - especially from Itinerary users and of course from the technical team at TomTom!

Comments

• YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,804
    Superuser
    Hi
    @BobBob

Yes the latest devices can use .ITN files, If you are using Tyre you will have Save the .ITN route to your Desktop and transfer Itineraries via a Micro SDHC Card
    Tyre over the air Transfer uses the Tomtom MyDrive Web Route planner during the transfer process, the MDW Route planner only syncs .GPX Tracks using this method (i.e... Does not sync .ITN Routes)

Routes Planned on the Tomtom MyDrive Web Route planner will sync .ITN Routes with the latest devices
    But be aware the MDW Route planner has a couple of quirks (Easily overcome)
    Important See...
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-5xxx-6xxx-series-go-4xx-6xx-series-go-via-and-start-4x-6x-series-mydrive-connect-176/planned-route-not-showing-on-tt-6250-1034143/index1.html#post1216212

MyDrive Web Route planner : Here....
    https://mydrive.tomtom.com

Note... The latest devices only see a Stop as a Stop, you can't have Soft and Hard Stops or Named or Numbered Stops
    The Device just announces "You have reached your waypoint" + a basic address location

ATB YFM
  • BobBob
    Legendary Explorer
    Thanks YFM. To clarify please . . . .
    Will the GO 620 (or similar) use the *. itn files that I create as itineraries? If it does then as long as I stick with my current route planning method - using Tyre and Google Maps/Earth - I would not need to use MDW Route planner. Is that correct?!

Moreover, can I edit/modify the itinerary/route on the SatNav without affecting the original saved file? This can be very useful sometimes. For delivery drivers who use itineraries this would be essential if, for instance, the regular delivery run was altered slightly for some reason.

If not can you please tell me about the MDW Route planner - does it use Google Maps or Google Earth to plan the route on my PC or am I limited to TomTom's version of the source map data? (Maybe the detail on TomTom's maps has improved since my GO 720!)

(Just followed your link to the MDW Route Planner - the maps do not show the level of detail that is displayed by Google Maps. Is there perhaps an option to use Google Maps if that is your preference?)

I'm beginning to sound very pedantic. Sorry! But my current method works so well - and I have been using it for at least 10 years probably. Anything less is not really acceptable and without this functionality I will probably have to stick with my present device - and put up with the sometimes out of date maps and dodgy battery life!

Surely I cannot be alone in using Itineraries in this way?!
    If haulage companies used this method there might be fewer instances of lorries getting stuck in narrow streets or blocking country lanes!

Many thanks, Bob J
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,804
    Superuser
    Hi
    @BobBob

The only difference to your previous method is the of the additional use of a Micro SDHC Card for the .ITN Route Transfer

I've not used a GO 720 for 'On the device route editing'
    But the lack of Named/Numbered stops is definitely a minus point for the latest NAV4/5(Wi-Fi) devices when you're editing a route directly on the device

ATB YFM
  • BobBob
    Legendary Explorer
    Many thanks again for getting back to me.
    Seems like I would be disappointed if I was to buy a new device - which is a shame.
    Looks like a few more years with the GO 720 for me!
    I wonder how other makes of SatNav fare with regard to route planning?
    Maybe I should jump ship and buy a Garmin!

Bob J