New VIA 53 turned off and will not start

ipgilham
ipgilham Registered Users Posts: 2
Apprentice Traveler
edited December 2021 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
I brought a VIA 53 for my daughter and started to set iot up. Got to the part where it starts to download the updates. I saw it start and turned to talk to my daughter, turned back and the gps had shut down. no matter what I do it will not restart. Un plugged and re plugged it in to my computer. Plugged it into the car and have now plugged it back into the computer and left it in case it has a flat battery. But still no joy.

Comments

• ipgilham
    ipgilham Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    I have found that plugging it into the computer and holding the start button in for about 15 seconds got things working again.
  • Niall
    Niall Posts: 11,115
    Superuser
    @ipgilham

If you are using a laptop if so then check your USB ports settings for power saving "USB Selective Suspend"
    If "Yes" Turn off "USB Selective Suspend"

Click on the appropriate link and scroll down to "Turn Off USB Selective Suspend"
    Win 7 See... http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/147369-usb-selective-suspend-turn-off.html
    Win10 See… https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/73187-turn-off-usb-selective-suspend-windows-10-a.html

Also turn off any Screen savers any other Power savers or USB port monitoring software.

Are you using a USB port in your vehicle?
    As the USB ports in your vehicle provides only 0.5Amps whereas your device should have 1.2 Amps to run AND charge the battery. With a vehicle USB port the reduced power means that the device tries to save it's power requirements by dimming the screen, it then powers off rather than going to sleep.
    The charger must be rated at 5V 2 amps [or use a PC USB port (not a laptop)] as the device draws 1.2amps
    Try plugging the original cable into the original cigarette lighter charger, does it then keep shutting down?

Once fully charged, the VIA 53 is updated via the device, but do one update at a time.

Remember after each up date to do a soft reset, you will loose nothing, it is like rebooting your computer and reloads all the new files from an update.

A soft reset :- with your device charged for at least 2Hrs "OR" have the device plugged into a power supply; press and hold your on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound (or the TomTom hands symbol appears) then release the on/off button. Make sure you are outside and have a clear view of the sky (satellites)