RIDER 400 falls apart — TomTom Community

RIDER 400 falls apart

callefrcallefr Posts: 12 [Legendary Explorer]
edited January 2019 in RIDER
I just can't believe it, the touch screen of my Rider 400 last week almost fell out of the GPS. I had to tape it with some first aid tape to the GPS.

Does anyone have experience with this?

What can I do to solve this?

Comments

• Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 752
    Superuser
    I think this is the very first time we’re hearing about a problem like that. Did you left it in a very hot place, like a car in the sun?
  • callefrcallefr Posts: 12 [Legendary Explorer]
    No, it was outside on my motorcycle. It seems still firmly attached on the underside of the GPS but on the top the screen sticks out +/- 1cm when I remove that tape.

Worst aspect is, if I would not have spotted this in time and temporarily fixed it with tape, or when it would have rained, then my 1 week holiday/motorcycle trip would have been ruined.

I am already used to putting a transparent plastic bag over the GPS when it rains, which is also annoying, but this is of a different level.

The obvious question is how can I repair this?
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,854
    Superuser
    @callefr
    1. What is your home country?
    2. Which country are you in at the moment?
    3. When will you be returning to your home country?
    Hai,

I am now back at home in Belgium.

The incident occurred last week when I was travelling in France.
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,854
    Superuser
    @callefr

See what Customer Services can do for you, is it still under warranty?

:flag_be: Belgique
    027 007 272
    du lundi au vendredi de 09h00 à 17h30

:flag_be: België
    Maandag: 09:00 tot 17:30
    Dinsdag t/m vrijdag: 09:00 tot 16:30
  • urdrvideourdrvideo Posts: 3
    Same thing happened to my 400 yesterday. Its in mint condition and has never been in the rain. I never leave it attached to my bike unless i'm actually riding. The left side of the touch screen assembly has separated from the case. I just happened to notice it as I was inputting an address and was blown away.
    I had just about convinced myself to purchase the new 550 as well since I have a couple bikes and the mounts already all set up.
    @udrvideo:

Buy a new Rider after a first 500 euro costing Rider falls apart after two+ years of non-intense use: I don't think so!!!

@Niall: Thanks for the info. I contacted them and they charge a 105 euro cost for any repair of a rider. I think I will disassemble the thing myself and see how far I can get.
  • EXPORTMANEXPORTMAN Posts: 634
    Superusers
    Never had that happen, I have a 450 and its been fine. Even dropped it a few times Several of my mates use them too. A couple of guys run guided tours around France all some clocking up thousands of miles every year and they have not reported any problems. Not pulled one to bits yet so dont know how the screen is fitted but certainly the rider 1-5 where very well put together. One thing I don't like about the 400-500 series over the older models is the lack of a peak over the screen this offered some extra protection if it was dropped and landed face down.
  • 1960Andre1960Andre Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have a rider 400 since 2015. After 1 month I took it with me to La Palma and used it in a car. I left it in the car and when I came back I saw that the left side of the touch-screen came loose and out of the case. Still I could use it. I reported it to Tom Tom and they sent me a new Rider 400. This year I used it again in a car at La Palma and again the left side of the touchscreen came loose. In the years between I used the Rider on my motorbike and in my car. The Rider 400 is sold for use on motor and in car. I think the manufacturer or TomTom should warn not to leave in a hot car. Better is adapting manufacturing, use other materials and or glues.
    I have been looking more closely to my Rider 400 now. I have not yet disassembled it but it appears as if that fancy rubber front that I thought was there for making the rider waterproof has no purpose at all?!?

It appears it only looks rugged, but it isn't. I have an old Rider II (more than 10 years old) that I only stopped using on the motorcycle because the mount broke, I still use it in the car and it works perfectly.

I don't agree that we should not be allowed to use the rider in a hot car, or motorcycle, because that is the first purpose of the whole thing.
    Superuser
    You can use it but you can’t store it.

The operating temperature of TomTom Rider is 0°C to 60°C while most consumer devices are in the range of 0° to 35°C.

A car in the sun can exceed that after an hour. Beyond that you need NASA specs...

Batteries suffer most on high temperatures (high anything above 20-25°C) by loosing capacity...
    hai Ste7ios,

I know there are limits, and I strongly doubt I exceeded these on a motorcycle in the open air. After all, I would have exceeded those 60 degrees as well and then I would probably not be typing anymore:grin:
    Superuser
    Yes, the only way to exceed the limits is to leave it in a car or in motorcycle's storage boxes, bags, etc under the sun...

Anyway, I don't doubt that's a manufacturing problem. TomTom's QA seems to be insufficient...
  • RoadKing DriverRoadKing Driver Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    What kind of glue can i use when the touchglass are loosing on a Rider 400 ?
  • RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 634 [Revered Pioneer]
    You live in Belgium not far from the Netherlands.
    On the dutch Marktplaats site you can get screen replacements. https://link.marktplaats.nl/m1324148931
    https://link.marktplaats.nl/m1321786350