VIA 1505M communication failure

gittist
gittist Registered Users Posts: 14
Master Traveler
edited November 2018 in MyDrive Connect
Have contacted TomTom help with little result. I was able to download the North America maps but cannot update the Europe maps which are no longer on my device thanks to the Mydrive issues.

I did everything I was told of the first 4 emails from tomtom now I'm back to being told to do what was on email one!! AOL deja vue!

I've been working on this for a a couple of days. In the meantime it took me 3.5 hours to totally update the North America maps on GARMIN!!!! In case someone is slow on the uptake, I totlaly updated two Garmins this morning while my totom is a lousy paperweight!

MyDrive was acting like it was corrupted so I was given a link to reinstall it and it seems to work. I connect the 1505M it says connected, and a few minutes later it says that my device is failing or has stopped communicating. This is what's been going on for the last few days. In between connected and fail, the screen will say checking 1005, or downloading with varying percentages, then it bombs.

Has anyone been able to solve this problem? I running win 7 64 bit with the latest updates and Norton Security Suite. My other computer runs Linux Mint.

At this point all my GPS shows is a picture of a little GPS with the circling arrows. I'm getting ready to tape it to a target and shoot it!

Comments

• gittist
    Master Traveler
    P.S. 1005 should read 100%, and I updated TWO Garmins.
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,787
    Superuser
    Hi
    Welcome to the site
    Re "Download/installation interrupted".....
    Are your USB ports set for power saving "USB Selective Suspend"

Win7 See... http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/147369-usb-selective-suspend-turn-off.html

Win10 See… https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/73187-turn-off-usb-selective-suspend-windows-10-a.html
    Click on link and scroll down to "Turn Off USB Selective Suspend"

Also turn off any Screen savers any other Power savers or USB port monitoring software installed

ATB YFM
  • gittist
    Master Traveler
    USB suspend off, power save off, no screensavers, no USB monitoring...and besides why was I able to update North America without worrying about the above? The North America maps weren't 'interrupted'?

Now the device is pretty close to be infused with .45 caliber lead bullets since the only thing will do after holding the power button for about a minute is show me a picture of a little GPS with rotating arrows.
  • gittist
    Master Traveler
    update: Went from 100% checking to "updating device, 1 hour 9 minutes left..." to screen says "Sorry, some items were' t updated," and the GPS says "something has gone wrong..."
  • gittist
    Master Traveler
    Update #2: repeat of the above.
  • dhn
    dhn Posts: 33,382
    Superuser
    Call, don't email, support:

:flag_us: United States
    877-757-7137
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. EST
  • gittist
    Master Traveler
    I didn't care for this unit when I bought it but it was the only GPS I could find with both North America and Europe lifetime maps. Now I really don't like it at all, expecially since it seems to be stuck in restore and neither my computer or MyDrive will recognize it. At least my computer recognized it before.

Never again will I buy a TomTom. As a matter of fact, if I can ever get this one going you'll probably see it on Craigslist.
  • gittist
    Master Traveler
    Well the fnal word from TomTom is 'Sorry'. If your unit is still under the one-year warranty (guaranteed that they know it's not) and you can provide a receipt we'll replace your unit. I used their program, followed their instructions and my unit in now totally 100% useless.

This reminds me of a story I heard years ago about a tire shop that was having a slow season. They'd go through the neighborhood slashing tires for the sizes they had in stock and then sell replacements to the unlucky victims. I feel like one of the victims.

NEVER EVER, EVER BUY A TOMTOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • big
    big Posts: 1,712
    Superuser
    I don't use it currently but if it were me, I'd disable Norton and try again.