5200 or 520- TomTom Services connectivity

swills9
swills9 Registered Users Posts: 10
Master Explorer
edited December 2021 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
I have just bought a 5200, but I saw this comment on a previous thread...

Both GO 5200 and GO 520 will connect to Traffic services in the country or region where the device was purchased.

Regards
Vikram

So are we saying if you have a UK 5200, it will not pick up traffic content in say the USA ?

Comments

• big
    big Posts: 1,712
    Superuser
    Correct. Even if that were not TomTom's policy the built-in SIM of the 5200 is 2G which doesn't work in the States, which has no 2G service anymore. (But even if you bring your own data, traffic only works in the region of purchase.)
  • swills9
    Master Explorer
    Thankyou for the answer ...hmmmm makes the purchase of the 5200 a bit iffy ! I thought a combined unit replacing my 1005 UK and a Tom Tom I bought in the USA a good idea...maybe not ! So 5200 on my good for basic directions in the USA ? The one I use now in the states has a separate cable for Tom Tom traffic which i think was bought here
  • big
    Superuser
    The 5200 is fine for basic directions. You probably can get a traffic cable for it. It will be nowhere as good as TomTom's traffic but it's better than nothing.

I think this will work, but best check with support:
    https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/accessories/chargers-cables/traffic-receiver/
  • Niall
    Niall Posts: 11,115
    Superuser
    @swills9

If the RDC TMS receiver for the old system has the same USB, try using on your 5200 in the UK to see if it is recognised, if so then you could use it in the US, (I did on my last visit to Florida), for coverage see http://www.ttwnetwork.com/index.php/solutions/2013-04-02-15-39-16/coverageareas
  • swills9
    Master Explorer
    Hi took the 5200 for a test drive from Colchester to Harwich, seems OK, connected the RDC cable, and it was recognised by the sat nav, now whether it worked or not was another matter, there were no delays to find out ! so still unsure as to return it and get a Europe one only, and keep my old USA one for trips there !
  • big
    Superuser
    My understanding is that only one method of traffic reporting can be active at any time. If you have a receiver connected but also are receiving live traffic via Bluetooth or SIM then the receiver, although recognised, is ignored and the live traffic is used instead. So it's a bit difficult to actually test this if you have live traffic when you are driving.
  • swills9
    Master Explorer
    Hi big, thankyou for the reply, the internal traffic will be on by default I assume, so even if I took it to the states, this would be still the same I guess at £270 don't really want to make a mistake :-)
  • swills9
    Master Explorer
    Hi big, thankyou for the reply, the internal traffic will be on by default I assume, so even if I took it to the states, this would be still the same I guess at £270 don't really want to make a mistake :-)
  • big
    Superuser
    No, in the states there would be no internal traffic so the external receiver would be used. Sounds like @Niall could confirm that :-)
  • swills9
    Master Explorer
    Thankyou, good to know, I know I seem to be making a mountain out of a molehill ! but thought it would be all so simple :-)
  • Niall
    Niall Posts: 11,115
    Superuser
    @swills9

Can confirm that a RDC TMS receiver does work with a 5200 in Florida in both Miami and around Orlando, I was in Australia when they switched off the 2G network and it worked there also.
  • swills9
    Master Explorer
    Thankyou Niall, appreciated, reckon will keep the 5200 :-) have stuck a 32GB card in so now have Europe and USA at hand, not that I go to the States more than once a year !

Just hope the other half does not need it whilst I am away on hols with my son !
    (she is sadly disabled so cant go....I am not just leaving her behind !)

I cant see any others that have traffic with no phone connection