railway stations — TomTom Community

railway stations

titup2titup2 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 11 in Travel lounge
Just back from a break in Devon and found Tomtom useless at finding railway stations. There are at least 4 in Exeter but Tomtom only knows of one -not the one i wanted-; it does not know that Okehampton has a station at all. When i asked for Exeter St David's the nearest it could find was Teignmouth; it is like trying to get to Paddington and being offered St Alban's. Utterly useless and i had to resort to my ancient Navigon which has so far proved far superior to Tomtom in every respect except that it takes an age to find its satellites.

Comments

• dmulvdmulv Posts: 622 Superuser
    I have occasionally used TomTom's POI database from time to time, however I find it tends to be a bit hit-and-miss in terms of accuracy - and also if what you're looking for's there in the first place!

As a general rule I Google for the destination's postcode first, then tap that in.
  • titup2titup2 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    thanks, but i really should not have to do that. Tomtom is supposed to be one of the top satnavs but i have yet to find it so
  • justmebrowsingjustmebrowsing Posts: 389 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Just checked my UK map v1010 Navigate to POI in city/Exeter/Railway Station & it shows:-
    Exeter Central 0.30 miles
    Exeter St Thomas 0.40 miles
    Exeter St Davids 0.70 miles
    St James Park 0.75 miles
    Polsloe Bridge 1.5 miles
    Digby and Sowton 2.7 miles
    etc etc
  • [Gelöschter Benutzer][Gelöschter Benutzer] Posts: 5,321 [Revered Navigator]
    1c8900e3-dc1c-4245-813d-7c970bfaba4c.jpg18a6d450-505f-40ab-ba2e-8ada838a147d.jpg
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,977 Superusers
    Hi
    @titup2

To show the POIs for Birmingham UK Railway stations on the map, work your way down to Option (2)

From the main screen
    Tap the 4Dot (.... Menu) (Screen Bottom left)
    Tap the Search Icon
    Type Rail (Or as much of the word that’s required for the category to appear at the top of the right-hand column)
    Tap the offered "Railway station" (top of the right-hand column)
    Note..... The initial offering (Right-hand column) will be local to your search
    The Main search area turns blue and "Railway station" is offered with a flashing cursor
    Continue typing the town/city of the required Station, Type Birm (Or as much of the word that's required for the category to appear at the top of the right-hand column

After tapping the Keyboard Icon (Screen bottom right)
    There is a now dual Icon (screen bottom right) with Three Lines and Two circles
    (1)..... Tap the three Lines Icon (bottom right screen) and a list will appear of the Birmingham Railway Stations in distance order
    (2)...... Tap the Two circle Icon for the Birmingham Railway Station POI's to appear on the screen (Pinch zoom for detail)
    There is also a Keyboard Icon (screen bottom right) to return to the search window from the options (1) and (2)

From Navcore ver 17.1 it possible to view 3RD party POI's on the Driving view
    For the update details Ver 17.1... See
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-5xxx-6xxx-series-go-4xx-6xx-series-go-via-and-start-4x-6x-series-mydrive-connect-176/new-update-171-available-now-1021782?postid=1161181

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'
    Hi
    @titup2

Yes... The Start Range doesn't have the excellent 'Quick Search' option of the Mid and Top range models
    The Start Range models have the 'Step by Step' search engine

ATB YFM

[h3]Exeter Railway Stations using the 'Step by Step' search engine...[/h3]
    I switched my GO 6200 over to the 'Step by Step' search engine
    The same as your Start 52

Tap the 4Dot (... Menu) --> 'Drive to'
    Tap 'Point of interest'
    I tapped... 'In a Town or City' ( I would have used 'Near me' if I were located in Exeter
    Device requests... Enter a city or postcode... I entered 'Exeter'
    The device offers Exeter
    Tap the offered Exeter
    Device requests... Enter name or category
    I enter... 'Rail'
    The device offers Railway Station
    Tap the offered Railway Station
    Tap the Blue Keyboard Icon (Screen bottom right)
    The device offers a scrolling list of Railway Stations around Exeter in distance order
    Or
    Tap on the 2 Circle Icon... The POI locations are displayed on the Search Map... Tap on the individual POI for more info....

b0e5cba6-f4f8-49f6-b3dd-fad17bc96bf0.jpg

List of Built-in POI Categories types
    That can be used when searching using the Above Method....
    http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/start_42_52_62/html/en-gb/index.htm#ListofPOItypeicons.htm

Start 52 User Guide...
    http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/start_42_52_62/refman/TomTom-START-EU-RG-en-gb.pdf

ATB YFM