Opening POI files unavailable in MyDrive (still) — TomTom Community

Opening POI files unavailable in MyDrive (still)

MikeStratMikeStrat Posts: 17 [Outstanding Explorer]
POI files cannot be opened in the MyDrive Route Planner, which is rather inconvenient for Route Planning.

So can we get the TomTom product team to add this rather necessary feature to MyDrive Route Planner? I'd rather not have to go back and forth between MyDrive, Tyre to Travel and/or my Rider 400 to get around the lack of this feature.

I also see that this was previously asked about more than a year ago here:
https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/mydrive-connect-apps-474/poi-files-unavailable-in-mydrive-app-1012992

The TomTom reply to that inquiry was: "Unfortunately, custom POIs are not yet supported on the MyDrive app. I'll [submit] this as an improvement request for the product team."

Well since it's been a year, it would be much appreciated if the product team could now get around to adding this feature, opening POI files, to MyDrive Route Planner. So how about it, TomTom? Can do? : - )

I also want to say that I am, otherwise, VERY much enjoying riding to great destinations with my TomTom Rider 400! : - )

Respectfully, Mike

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,232
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Mike Strat

The Method I sometimes use....
    Syncing POI locations to the MyDrive Web Route planner
    On the NAV4/5(Wi-Fi)Devices
    Tap the 4Dot (.... Menu) --> MyPlaces... Select a POI Category e.g... National Trust
    The Main search area turns blue and "National Trust" is offered with a flashing cursor
    Continue typing the name of the required "National Trust" site, Type dud(maston) (Or as much of the word that's required for Dudmaston Hall appear at the top of the National trust list
    Tap on Dudmaston Hall... A Quick Menu opens... Tap on the 3Dot Icon... Add to my places
    Rename the MyPlace or Tap 'Add' to accept the offered Name
    Dudmaston Hall is synced to the MyDrive Web Route planner

On the MyDrive Web Route planner
    Open MyPlaces... Left click on Dudmaston Hall
    The MDW Map zooms into Dudmaston Hall
    Right Click On the blue Dudmaston Hall Icon

If you are starting a new Route you're offered....
    'Use as a Starting point'
    Or
    'Plan a Route'

If the Route is all ready started you're offered....
    'Add a Stop'

I tend ignore the menu that opens and just Left or Right click on the Blue MyPlaces Icons

May need to occasionally edit/tidy the MyPlaces list

ATB YFM
  • TVRV8STVRV8S Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    If I had been in charge of the development of importing POIs, common sense would have told me that users would expect to see them on the map that is staring them in the face. I've just come back to TomTom with a 520 Wifi and starting to wish I hadn't bothered. It's the same story of giving with one hand and taking away with the other.

I think one of the most infuriating things about software developers is that you never find out WHY something wasn't built. You always get told it's being passed to the development team and you know damn well it's not.

If users asked for a feature and there was a good reason why - for legal, marketing, technological or other means - it wasn't going to be developed, why doesn't TomTom just shut us up by telling us why? Make an announce that it's on the list, but it's unlikely to ever be built.

I left TomTom before because they took out itinerary planning and the forums were awash with people complaining and asking it to be put back in, and there was never any response. It would have only taken the company to say "because we make more money from feature-starved products and 90% of people don't want what you're asking."
  • MikeStratMikeStrat Posts: 17 [Outstanding Explorer]
    YamFazMan,
    Thank you for responding. I see that you are very helpful in responding to soooo many questions. Well I've done what you've suggested, i.e.; on the GPS device, open a POI file, then select and add a POI to MyPlaces in order to create a route in MyDrive Route Planner. It works, but it can be a time consuming, extra steps process, particularly if one is exploring various route possibilities to various POIs. So the basic question still remains: Can the TomTom product team please look into adding a function that opens POI files within MyDrive Route Planner???

TVRV85,
    Thank you, too, for chiming in. I had to look up the "Itinerary Planning" function that you referred to. I found it explained on a TomTom support page and agree that it's a much needed function that should be included on ALL of our TomTom GPS units! Here's a link to that TomTom support page: http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6224/~/how-do-i-create-and-save-an-itinerary%3F

Well, along with what you said, I see that this Itinerary Planning function was included with earier Rider versions, but not with the Rider 400. Mysteriously enough, though, it's listed as included with the new Rider 550! Can anyone confirm that about the 550??? Whatever, I'd like TomTom to work on a software revision to include this function with the Rider 400.

Considering these short comings, I won't be buying a Rider 550. It's nice that the 550 is faster and has Wi-Fi updating, but those features are not as important to me as the issued brought up in this post.

Respectfully, Mike : - )
  • Nigel ANigel A Posts: 121 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Rider 550 is not compatible with Tyre (despite all it "conectivity" its not compatible with anything) you can download POIs to the 550 but cant convert favourites to POIs or send / backup, anything from within the 550. Tomtom Mydrive dosent suport or show POIs anyway. DO NOT BUY A 500 SERIES !
    Superusers
    Nigel A wrote:
    Rider 550 is not compatible with Tyre (despite all it "connectivity" its not compatible with anything)
    The free version of Tyre2travel has never synced with the Rider 4xx or the 5xx, the 'Gold' edition does, and will still sync with the Rider 4xx or the 5xx,
    It looks like Tomtom and/or the Tyre Route planner provider have made a business decision not to supply the Gold version licence to the Rider 5xx Range
    The Free version of Tyre2travel will still 'Save As' an .ITN, .GPX or POI file to the Desktop on your PC
    I also use... The Free, slightly quirky, but very good ITN Converter
    ITN Converter has a huge number of Map types default is Google Maps, the Tomtom Routes Map is included, the ITN Converter also Saves/Exports a huge number of route file types, it will also export straight to Tomtoms MyDrive Web Route planner...

The ITN Converter is quirky because it uses It uses two Windows, one with all the save/export options the other, being the "Editor Window" where you plan your routes
    Get ITN Converter here...
    http://www.benichou-software.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4&itemid=3&lang=en
    There is a Tomtom Map... I also think the ITN Converters ViaMichelin and the Nokia OVI Maps appear to be a good match to Tomtom Maps

As with other route planners the file can then be installed to the Rider 4xx/5xx using one of the following options.....

Options for loading Trips/Files onto the device....
    The Rider 400 will give you direct access to a small 50MB partition of the Rider4xx internal memory and if fitted your Micro SD Card, you can drag & drop you're .ITN or .GPX route files directly to the Rider 400 Memory or the Memory card over a secure system
    See...https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-5xxx-6xxx-series-go-4xx-6xx-series-go-via-and-start-4x-6x-series-mydrive-connect-176/route-with-multiple-destinations-and-waypoints-1002212?postid=1085184

To transfer a .ITN or .GPX route file/s to your NAV4 device using a Micro SD Memory Card
    See....https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/mydrive-connect-apps-474/mydrive-ability-to-add-waypoints-1007398?postid=1103601

Transferring a route to my PC using Bluetooth (Or a Micro SD Card)
    (.... Menu) --> MyRoutes --> Share Tracks --> select the Recorded Route
    --> Tap Share --> Choose Memory card or Bluetooth --> Follow the on-screen prompts to completion....
    I've posted this How to guide using the method developed by User GEB
    It might look complicated, but it isn't, most of the process steps are for the installation of the programs and set-up and are only required once... Then it's simply Drag 'n' Drop of a few files
    Link to Post...https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/mydrive-connect-apps-474/faq-what-mydrive-and-what-can-i-do-with-it-990620?postid=1159989

Important... Tomtom has recently changed the file type from a .txt file to a .gz (Zipped file) The file will need unzipping using something like Z-Zip file Manager before you can drop the file into Notepad ++
    Z-Zip file Manager...https://7-zip.org/

The Method I use....
    Syncing POI locations to the MDW Route planner & the inclusion in routes
    On the NAV4/5(Wi-Fi)Devices
    Tap the 4Dot (.... Menu) --> MyPlaces... Select a POI Category e.g... National Trust
    The Main search area turns blue and "National Trust" is offered with a flashing cursor
    Continue typing the name of the required "National Trust" site, Type dud(maston) (Or as much of the word that's required for Dudmaston Hall appear at the top of the National trust list
    Tap on Dudmaston Hall... A Quick Menu opens... Tap on the 3Dot Icon... Add to my places
    Rename the MyPlace or Tap 'Add' to accept the offered Name
    Dudmaston Hall is synced to the MyDrive Web Route planner

On the MyDrive Web Route planner
    Open MyPlaces... Left click on Dudmaston Hall
    The MDW Map zooms into Dudmaston Hall
    Right Click On the blue Dudmaston Hall Icon

If you are starting a new Route you're offered....
    'Use as a Starting point'
    Or
    'Plan a Route'

If the Route is all ready started you're offered....
    'Add a Stop'

I tend ignore the Menu that opens... And simply Left or Right click on the Blue MyPlaces Icons

May need to occasionally edit/tidy the MyPlaces list

ATB YFM
  • Nigel ANigel A Posts: 121 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Thanks Yamfazman please see my reply in

https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/rider-51/did-tomtom-actually-test-the-rider-550-1039163/index1.html#post1233354

Thought Tomtom had dropped ITN ?

Was impressed with your favourites back up procedure, but have now come up with a much simpler solution ......... Buy a Garmin !
    Superusers
    edited August 2019
    Hi
    @Nigel A

No .ITN is live and well I use the .ITN format all the time
    Generated using either 'Tyre'... 'MyRoute APP' (Gold) ... 'ITN Converter'
    Transferred using....
    Options for loading Trips/Files onto the device....
    The Rider 400 will give you direct access to a small 50MB partition of the Rider4xx internal memory and if fitted your Micro SD Card, you can drag & drop you're .ITN or .GPX route files directly to the Rider 400 Memory or the Memory card over a secure system
    See...https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-5xxx-6xxx-series-go-4xx-6xx-series-go-via-and-start-4x-6x-series-mydrive-connect-176/route-with-multiple-destinations-and-waypoints-1002212?postid=1085184

To transfer a .ITN or .GPX route file/s to your NAV4 device using a Micro SD Memory Card
    See....https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/mydrive-connect-apps-474/mydrive-ability-to-add-waypoints-1007398?postid=1103601

Transferring a route to my PC using Bluetooth (Or a Micro SD Card)
    (.... Menu) --> MyRoutes --> Share Tracks --> select the Recorded Route
    --> Tap Share --> Choose Memory card or Bluetooth --> Follow the on-screen prompts to completion....

Last but not least... Tomtom MyDrive Web route planner....
    Here's the Method I use to generate & save .ITN Routes using the MyDrive Web Route planner....
    See...https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-5xxx-6xxx-series-go-4xx-6xx-series-go-via-and-start-4x-6x-series-mydrive-connect-176/planned-route-not-showing-on-tt-6250-1034143/index1.html#post1216212

Example 19 Stop .ITN Test....
    714fed01-413c-4948-8873-8ca785ec354a.jpg
    A Solid Arrow Filename Marker in MyRoute = .ITN Route
    33b88266-2e7f-4f03-926a-a1e36ae29520.jpg

I had a Ga*m*n for a Month... Couldn't stand it, it drove me crazy
    Swapped for a Tomtom Via 120 Live

ATB YFM