Display of map incorrect? — TomTom Community

Display of map incorrect?

VincentBredaVincentBreda Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
Hi,

I am using the Tomtom Mobile App for Android. In navigation mode, the only thing visible on the map is the road you have to follow. No other streets of details are visible, it's just a plain green screen with one blue line (route). Is it possible to fix this? Can't find a solution in the settings menu.....

Comments

• AsprinAsprin Posts: 264 [Supreme Pioneer]
    @VincentBreda,

I think a little more details are needed here.

What maps from country or countries are you talking about?
    What Smartphone you talking about?
    Android version
    And some screen shots would help.
    How you installed the app?
    Did this just start happening?

What other programs are you using at the same time.

Etc, Etc Etc,

The more info you give the more someone can help.

Details, details and more details

Please do not say you have installed this on your car radio.
    It is not supported.....!!!!!!
  • VincentBredaVincentBreda Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    Hi Asprin624,

Thanks for your reply, it's really appreciated!

Yes, app is installed on a car radio. Why should this device not be supported? According to PlayStore info during install, the app should work on the device.... It's android 8.0 Oreo.

Installation took place thus from within the playstore, problem existed from the start. Running other apps doesn't seem to have any influence,

The map I use is Central Europe, however the problem occurs with other maps as well.

I attached a screenshot. Hope you can give some support!e6b1dda2-6bcb-41db-8fe5-12ccef9b2c79.jpg
  • RalphdekreijRalphdekreij Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Here exactly the same problem on Xtron Android 8 head unit.

Only the road that I have to follow is shown. No other roads that are next to it, or connecting to it.

Other problem... when I download Dutch voice Eva and select this, she just keeps saying all the words she knows i.e.: Go left, right, take ferry etc after each other in a loop.

Can tomtom fix this quickly? Otherwise will choose for different nav software for my camper since holiday is approaching.
    Ralphdekreij,

Why do we keep beating a dead dog.

It is not supported but every week someone posts a problem with TomTomGO on a head unit.

There are all types of problems trying to get TomTomGO to work on a head unit.

Yes some user's get it installed but only run into problems.

TomTomGo is made for Smartphones it will work on Tablets but you will not get traffic because of no sim card.

I just wish user's would stop posting over and over again about TomTomGo and Hard Units..

Please read this link:

[h4]Requirements for TomTom GO Mobile for Android [/h4]
    @Asprin624
    If the TomTomGo app is not supported on a typical android device, you should receive a warning when trying to install it from the PlayStore. If you don't get such a warning, you may expect things work properly or at least get assistance from TomTom in case of problems.

That, however, is not the case.
    @VincentBreda,

The bottom line here is do your research.

No where is it stated it will work on a Head Unit.

Knowing that this a smartphone app and still trying it on a Head unit and then you run into problems.

Then a flag should go up and tell you and others that this is not going to work.

Now I do not know if you or others have paid for this app knowing you and others have run into problems.

Then it is your fault and others not TomTom not TomTomGo app.

Then you and others posting these problems with Head Units.

And this forum clearly states for smartphones then who's fault is it???

The very first thing on this forum that many users do not take the time to read.

The TomTom GO Mobile app is compatible with Android smartphones
  • RigattoniRigattoni Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hmmm... @Asprin624

Seems that pointing on the requirements is anything you are able too...
    ...and it seems that you don´t know what you are talking about.
    1. Most OREO head units don´t use INTEL chipsets, they most probably use Rockchip RK 3388 or later... as my unit (PX5, A53)
    2. The memory of these units is often better than cheap smartphones. Mine has 4GB RAM and 32GB ROM
    3. The screen mostly is not bigger than 7" and has a resolution of 1024x600px
    Where is the difference between a smartphone and a modern head unit, delivered with regular Android 8?

...and my unit shows up the same fu**** wrong behavior in 3D-mode.

So please tell me which requirement should not be fulfilled?
    As long as we don´t see the real REQ and the market place offers the app to be buyed, I point on a real blocker issue, which has to be fixed soon by TomTom.
    @Rigattoni,

What is so had to understand???

It is not supported......

A smartphone and a Head Unit are 2 different animals.

The app was made for Smartphones........

TomTom has integrated TomTomGO on some car smart radios that come with the car you by.

They have a contract with those car companies.
    There the app works but has been setup for that car company and the smart radio that comes with it.

There is even a section in this forum for these pre-installed app on those car companies.

Just because you and others want to install it on your 3rd party smart radios or the radio that came with your car and want support you are not going to get it.

If you and others paid for this app on your car radio you are on your own.....

Some user's can get it to work.
    Others have install problems
    Others have strange problems with 3D not working
    You have other problems
    Other have to root their radio to get it to work and still have problems.
    The app is not stable for your radio and for others who install the app.

It is time to move on about problems with TomTomGO and Head Units.

You and others are stuck with the problems you have and no support.

PS:
    Requirements for TomTom GO Mobile for Android is "Only" about smartphones.........

Have a nice day mate......
    @ Asprin624

Where exactly in Google Play Store is mentioned that the app is only suitable for smartphones?? Just can't find it. Can you tell me, Asprin?
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,634 Superuser
    To quote from to compatibility FAQ https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18708
    The TomTom GO Mobile app is compatible with Android™ smartphones* (Android™ version 4.0.3 or higher) which have a WVGA screen resolution from 800 x 480 or higher.

The app is optimised to run on devices with screen sizes of up to 7 inches. The storage space required for the application is 90 MB. The storage space required for the map can vary depending on the map region you choose to download.

*We cannot guarantee that the app will work correctly on all Android™ devices that have an Intel® chipset.
    As Niall and many others have pointed out.

This is the Company TOMTOM that points it out.

76ead85b-98ed-4e40-96a9-54c0db1ccbcd.jpg
    This has nothing to do with the Google Store.

It is TomTom's app and they say what it will work on not Google.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the Play Store is NOT mentioned the app is only ment for smartphones?? Only on the TomTom site?

That would be WEIRD.

Compare this: I buy a toy for a kid in a store. Kid chokes almost in a little part of the toy. I contact the store, but they laugh at me. 'On the website of the manufactorer you could have read this stuff is not made for kids. We, as the shop, of course, don't mention that!', they say.

By the way Asprin624, are you in any way involved with TomTom? Do they pay you? It's remarkable that you wrote over 130 'answers', mostly defending TomTom, and only 3(!) of them are marked as 'solution'. Bit suspicious. But I may be wrong.
    @VincentBreda,

I have never worked for TomTom nor plan to.

I am a retired IT programmer.

You can think what you want to you have that right.

But you are wrong.

I read and test Android apps.
    I have many stand along GPS units from both companies.
    As well as many of the GPS apps.

I test and retest all the time.

I have and as of yet have no problems with the TomTomGo app.

I have tested it on many versions of Android including many different smartphones and tablets.

Maybe I am lucky not to have problems but that is the way it is.

But one thing I do is read what the policies of companies are saying.

If they say it will work on smartphones and do not talk about any other types of units that is just the way it is.

That also goes for any smart radio.
    I have looked at many of these radios and read what GPS apps come with them.
    I have yet to find any that say TomTom will work or is pre installed on them.
    In most cases they never even bring up any other GPS app other than Google Map or Igo or Copilot and those are per install already on those radios.

You want TomTom on a car radio see this link:

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/in-dash-navigation/

But only for the car companies that are listed and the radio that comes with the car.

As for Google you can download any of there app that are posted.
    It does not mean they are compatible with the smartphone, Tablet or Radio you want to install it on.

Now enough is enough about this topic......

Have a nice day
  • SafBHSafBH Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Re: Asprin624

I've not had any issues getting any other app from the Google Play store running ony head unit, the head unit functions just like every other android device, it has its own 4g connection. Your answer stating the devices don't meet requirements is is just a lie, it's clear from your answer that TomTom have artificially stopped TomTomgo from working on these devices to push there own in dash products and partners, frankly it's disgusting behaviour.
  • MrRob_inMrRob_in Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Ok I'm new to Android I have tied to install a few apps to my Xtrons Android 8.0 Headunit, all that I have installed have run just fine save Go.

I have come across a few apps that say the don't support my device. That's fine, but Go is not one of them so that at least IS Tom Tom's problem to fix.

They should either stop downloads to non supported devices, as other developers have, support the device, or explain the issue properly to customers rather than fobbing them off and wasting their time.

It's much simpler in ios with app and device compatibility tightly controlled ... Thankfully my Carplay dongle works great so I don't have to rely on Android or its apps unless I want to.

What's doubly odd is plenty of phones have the same issue.
    5fa13395-76b8-446f-aed0-ed82220d5566.jpg
    Show me were on any of these readio's support TomTomGO.

Tell me what was pre installed on these radios.

As one user pointed out on Google Store that it is compatible with your device.

I can show you lots of app that say it is not optimized for your device.

BUT you can still install it anyway.

You all have one type of problem or another and want TomTom to fix it.

GO to the company you bought the radio from and complain to them.

You know what they are going to say......

Use the GPS that came with it........

As for buying the app without testing the free version well that is your fault not TomTom's
  • shinksyshinksy Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Asprin........Youre an ARSEHOLE !!
    I have purchased 6 TomTom's over the years and now I have installed an Android unit in my car.
    All I get on the TomTom App is a blue line to follow.
    This is a fault with the App, no question.
    We have paid good money for this App and TomTom have shafted us.
    I will never give TomTom one more penny of my money.
  • MrRob_inMrRob_in Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    shinksy wrote:
    I have purchased 6 TomTom's over the years and now I have installed an Android unit in my car.
    All I get on the TomTom App is a blue line to follow.
    This is a fault with the App, no question.
    We have paid good money for this App and TomTom have shafted us.
    I will never give TomTom one more penny of my money.

Turning off 3d view fixed lack of visible map details issue for me. Xtrons Android 8.0
    Hi,

Yes turning 3D off does cure it, but that sort of proves its a fault in the software.

Thanks
  • DeggersDeggers Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    File a google refund request - you'll get the £14.99 back.

I just did.

Not fit for purpose with Oreo 8 device.
    There is a new app out:

Not installed on a Head Unit but off your Smartphone to the display on your Car Radio.

HHGBZHHhEld6CixAvNAcSh7uIsQ_-UPrss1W9fpAjPjBHMUJPEBfkbMhcDpoDzjwFuE=s180
    TomTom In-Dash

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tomtom.gplay.myspin

This only works on:

This app only works with Jaguar or Land Rover cars equipped with InControl technology.
    Special introductory offer: Get 33% discount.

TomTom In-Dash is the offline navigation app that's your red carpet for the road when you have a Jaguar or Land Rover car equipped with InControl technology.

Repeat not on your Head Unit it works with your Smartphone to your car radio.
  • G-memberG-member Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    This fault is intended by Tomtom, they don't want us to use it on headunits by default!!
    It seems that the Go app detects the MCU file wich only used by droid headunits!

I flashed a stock android 8 rom without the MCU, the MCU is only for the communication between the software and the hardware of the radio and has nothing to do with any app!!

Guess what....... All roads are visible again.Flashed the MCU and Go is acting stupid again.

Tomtom needs to be fair and make a statement on the playstore that AFTERMARKET units are NOT supported.
    This section is about Smartphone and not head units.

There is a whole other section in this forum for Head Units

Plus You can use the app for free as long as you want.

If the app does not live up to your expectations then you do not have to buy it.

Like I have said before you need to ask questions of the AFTERMARKET radio company what GPS apps are supported before you buy it.

A lot of AFTERMARKET radio company come with other GPS apps already installed on them.
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online in this Category0