Changing Country on Account — TomTom Community

Changing Country on Account

Hello

I have tried to change my account address from France to the UK as I have recently moved but it refuses to let me change the country so I can't update or buy anything.

How can I fix this?

Thanks.

Comments

• NiallNiall Posts: 10,767
    Superuser
    @a_l_c

Contact Customer Services to change your account details:- country (only they can)

:flag_gb: United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
  • a_l_ca_l_c Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Thanks for the info however it didn't help.

Tomtom says they can't change it.

Any other possible solutions?

Thanks
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 9,886 Moderator
    @a_l_c

Unfortunately, since implementing the new GDPR rules we are not allowed to makes any changes to our customers account information.

But you can use a different account to place an order.

And if its a downloadable service(Maps/ LIVE Services/ Speed cameras) then you don't have to enter you actual physical address.

Incase its a shippable product then a different account would be a solution.

Another way would be where we can delete the present account and you can create a new one.

Inconvenience caused is regretted..

Regards
    Vikram :)
    Hello Vikram

Can't you just fix your system so I can change the country? I don't see why it isn't possible? Your customer service advisor wasn't helpful at all.

Regards
    Superuser
    @VikramK

Please can you point me to the exact clause(s) in GDPR that TomTom are quoting to not allow them to change account details at the request of a 'data subject'.
  • John-JayJohn-Jay Posts: 683 [Revered Pioneer]
    Niall wrote:
    @VikramK

Please can you point me to the exact clause(s) in GDPR that TomTom are quoting to not allow them to change account details at the request of a 'data subject'.
    @Niall ,

Precisely!!

In fact, my understanding is that GDPR is supposed to make updating Information EASIER - NOT more difficult!!
    hi Niall, John-Jay

:( Sorry, I should have framed my sentence in a different way.

I have edited my post now...

Regards
    Vikram
    VikramK wrote:
    hi Niall, John-Jay

:( Sorry, I should have framed my sentence in a different way.

I have edited my post...

Regards
    Vikram
    @VikramK

May I quote from the GDPR Guidelines issued by the UK's Information Commisioners Office?

QUOTE:-
    [h3]"Complying with requests for rectification[/h3]☐ We have processes in place to ensure that we respond to a request for rectification without undue delay and within one month of receipt."

It seems to me that, in order to comply with GDPR, that TomTom MUST undertake Data Request Changes!!
    @VikramK

I still don't understand why ToùmTom can't fix the fault in their system so customers can update the information themselves. If I told my clients that I couldn't fix a problem as simple as this I would lose them immediately.
    Superuser
    @VikramK

You still have not answered the question

Especially in the light of what @John-Jay quoted from GDPR Guidelines issued by the UK's Information Commisioners Office

Also quoting from Guide to the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
    Under Article 16 of the GDPR individuals have the right to have inaccurate personal data rectified. An individual may also be able to have incomplete personal data completed – although this will depend on the purposes for the processing. This may involve providing a supplementary statement to the incomplete data.[/quite]
    @VikramK

Quoting GDPR Regulation - Article 16:-

"Right to rectification

The data subject shall have the right to obtain from the controller without undue delay the rectification of inaccurate personal data concerning him or her. Taking into account the purposes of the processing, the data subject shall have the right to have incomplete personal data completed, including by means of providing a supplementary statement."

(Note:- MY emphasis on the "without undue delay").
    Hi Niall, John and everyone..

I am sorry… :(

Firstly, I apologise for posting my comment too early before being informative enough about the actual facts.

So here is an explanation.

What I said above regarding TomTom being reluctant to make changes to user profiles is basically for the agents on calls. When speaking to any person over the phone its really difficulty for us to authenticate the user identity. So ideally the agents will be authorised to make any changes to the account only if the request is in writing i.e: email

Secondly why we are trying to avoid making any changes to the account- it’s because we would want to give full access to our customers so they can manage or manipulate their own data(under account settings).

However, the country field is something they will not be able to change at the moment and I feel its because of some system limitation.

I will share this with the Customer Care teams so they are careful about such requests and handle them in the right way going forward.

@a_l_c, I reviewed your account and I don't see any incident number generated so could you send your request through an email, please?

Thank you
    -Vikram