No north on top in TomTom Rider 450 — TomTom Community

No north on top in TomTom Rider 450

JOKJOK Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 2019 in RIDER
Since half a year I use the TomTom Rider 450. And although it is a convenient device I will go back and buy myself a Garmin. Most important reason is that the TomTom does not support the North on top routing. I absolutely can not understand why it is not supported while it is supported from the first generations of all kind of GPS systems.

While not supporting Nort on top, and also not supporting recalculation-off, you get crazy once you want to deliberately take a deviation, or want to orientate yourself on alternative roads around you. Then the screen will keep on turning around and recalculating in order to bring you back on the original track until you have lost all your sense of orientation and absolutely don't know where you are anymore.

It seems to me that it should be easy to build in these features, but because of unclear reasons the Rider does not offer these features, and that makes it unusable for me.

Comments

• PorcupineTreePorcupineTree Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I concur with the North on top feature. It is very useful if you want to force yourself to maintain a sense of orientation on long A-to-B trips. The old Rider v2 did have this feature, and it is unfortunate that it was discarded.
    Having said that, I am convinced that fewer features can make a better product. An option to disable recalculation, although useful to some, would complicate the device for everyone. Since you already decided to buy another device there will be no convincing you. In my experience friends who bought other devices (not TomTom) have endless troubles and disagreements about the most correct way to create, transfer and use routes.
    It is a matter of personal preferences, but I enjoy TomTom because of its predictability. Hardly ever a moment of "Huh? Why is it doing that?".
  • BrianEBrianE Posts: 545 [Exalted Navigator]
    I had the opposite problem with Garmin. I would plan a route to specifically avoid certain roads and then I would find that at a whim, the device would recalculate the entire route. For that reason plus poor traffic information and the poor verbal instructions at complex roundabouts, I decided that TomTom was the better option.
  • JOKJOK Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I concur with the North on top feature. It is very useful if you want to force yourself to maintain a sense of orientation on long A-to-B trips. The old Rider v2 did have this feature, and it is unfortunate that it was discarded.
    It is a matter of personal preferences, but I enjoy TomTom because of its predictability. Hardly ever a moment of "Huh? Why is it doing that?".

So, we agree on the North up feature but not on the recalculation issue :-)
    That illustrates that it is hard to satisfy everyone, but in my opinion TomTom could have easily done so by offering these features as an option.

It is exactly the recalculation option that causes the "Huh, why is it doing that?" while even the GPX tracks, that are meant to be fixed and interchangeable, are automatically recalculated by the Rider.

In general I agree that a simple system can meet 90% of the demands, but why exclude some basis options that have become very common in all GPS systems of the last decades.
  • JOKJOK Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    BrianE wrote:
    I had the opposite problem with Garmin. I would plan a route to specifically avoid certain roads and then I would find that at a whim, the device would recalculate the entire route. For that reason plus poor traffic information and the poor verbal instructions at complex roundabouts, I decided that TomTom was the better option.

I don't see your point. TomTom always will recalculate the route. At least in the Garmin you can put it off. Especially if you use the GPX tracks it shouldn't recalculate.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,733
    Superusers
    Hi
    @JOK

North-up overview Map....
    Tap the direction of travel chevron above the + and - Signs to switch to the North-up overview Map
    4f84d6f4-24bf-4c14-a00a-de4cc62d30c1.jpg

The Map view will remain North-up
    You may have to tap the + sign a few times to find the appropriate level of zoom to suit your needs
    eba8fc21-7e44-44c7-af84-04d86c8cac07.jpg

The North-up Overview Icon is wider and squatter in appearance

My Normal Setting....
    2D Rotate in direction of travel
    Zoom into road type

I planned and calculated a route
    Tapped the direction of travel chevron to select the North-up overview map
    tapped the + sign 4 times

Set off on the route....
    The cursor that represent the current location does not remain centred like in 2D or 3D
    it's sits inboard from the edge of the screen about 20/25 percent and moves around the sides of screen depending on the direction travel, but it always stays on the screen (I think this is to show as much as the route as possible)

The route was about 5 Miles, the zoom level remained normal as for 'Zoom into road type' throughout the journey

ATB YFM