Cant find address — TomTom Community

Cant find address

IrwinIrwin Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
Me and my GF is moving to a new city. My mother in law has a terrible sense of direction (and some anxiety venturing far away from home). She bought a TomTom GPS for navigating and asked me to set it up.

Why cant it find our new address? From what I have been reading this is a persistent problem with TomToms...
Honestly, she is not buying a GPS to take her "close" to the location she wants to go. She is buying it to get EXACTLY to the location.
The road in question have been there for more than 30 years, it has more than 200 houses on it, but the GPS can only find ie. number 36, 142, 154 and 200 something....

I am flabbergasted if this is really something I have to fix myself from home by reporting errors.

I know I come on hard and offended in this post, so I would be very happy if someone could tell me otherwise.

Thank you

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,301
    Superusers
    A new map (1010) was released yesterday. What version is on your device?

https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12214/locale/en_gb
  • IrwinIrwin Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    That version. I downloaded it earlier today and checked the map version before I posted this.
  • BrianEBrianE Posts: 542 [Exalted Navigator]
    I find that quite a few addresses are either missing or incorrect (just like road speed limits and mobile cameras). I get around this by manually checking the location I want to travel to on Google maps or my employer's GIS maps (for work-related visits) and then adding them manually to My Places in MyDrive. That way, I don't have to rely on searching on my GO 6200 as the places I had added in MyDrive are downloaded to my device automatically. If your device doesn't have Wi-Fi or live services then you could still upload addresses to your sat nav via a USB cable. I know we shouldn't have to do this, but it's a method that works for me, so perhaps it could work for you too?
  • IrwinIrwin Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thank you Brian. Yes that was exactly what I did yesterday. That is just not feasible for my mother in law to do that if she has to travel to somewhere new. She can hardly turn on a computer on her own.

I am still quite shocked that a company that sells GPS's in 2018 cant have a finished map on their product. I am quite sure that in 10 minutes I can have a map downloaded on an app on my phone that would work better (offline) than the service provided in the GPS she has just bought.
  • Jim2JimJim2Jim Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Why is it that you can google your destination your destination on your mobile phone, and get it in seconds, yet my TomTom Via 62000 series, cannot find it , either by typing in the address or by entering its eircode? This has been happening on mine since I purchased it....and its just not funny anymore...downright embarrassing at times. Next time, I think that I''ll keep away from TomTom.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 5,532
    Superuser
    Hi @Jim2Jim

Eircodes are not supported on Tomtom Units.

Doug
  • Jim2JimJim2Jim Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Thanks DougLap, But then what about addresses entered manually on the the keypad? And these addresses exist, as I've got them in Google within seconds???
    And I have just tried linking my mobile phone ( android ) via Bluetooth, both device and phone set to search , but the Via 6000 cannot find the phone..?
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 5,532
    Superuser
    edited July 23
    Hi @Jim2Jim

Could you give me a sample address. You can send it by message if you prefer. Click on my icon and you should see a message option.

Doug