Rider 400 not charging on bike mount despite power — TomTom Community

Rider 400 not charging on bike mount despite power

scotdocscotdoc Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 2019 in RIDER
Connected bike mount for first time from switched live (Horn supply)
I have 12v at all connections up to mounting plate, and 5v between brass charging pins - but tomtom unit does not charge up. Battery sign stays on with bar showing rather than lightning bolt.
Have tried wobbling it around and changing from landscape to portrait poistion but no improvement.
I see on this forum that a faulty mount is not uncommon - anything I can do to test it?

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,062
    Superusers
    edited March 13
    Hi
    @scotdoc

Tap the 4Dot (.... Menu) button... On the Menu Screen top right is a battery status Icon

Charging... Displays when Connected to a Power supply
    368fa599-f465-4a45-9274-b2b29b56a6d1.jpg
    Full Charge... Displays when Connected or Not Connected Power supply
    ebebfcff-7cf3-43d5-9479-ef4b7f2a85ed.jpg
    Half Charge... Displays when NOT Connected Power supply
    5c45ac4c-1a65-45a0-9b3b-8b88879a94cc.jpg
    Low Battery... Displays when NOT Connected Power supply
    29b0c6f3-11f1-4d8f-9543-eef314472a31.jpg
    One of the worst things you can do to a Lithium battery is to run it flat so at a certain percentage of discharge (Unspecified)... The device will go into 'Power Saving Mode' the screen will dull, and the device will eventually turn itself off (Not Sleep)

There is a Battery Status display available on the devices Status Screen
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound Continue to hold the on/off button until the Black & White Status screen is shown.....
    c3623f43-813f-4ddf-9e35-af42824c5331.jpg
    If you are worrying about the device charging, you might consider one of these gadgets
    63a11bd6-9bcb-49ec-b71b-9223d7c334dd.jpgOr

b23e2fef-ffbf-4127-80b0-646533d6f987.jpg Simply plug the device into the USB socket and plug your lead into the USB Doctor, the device will display the Voltage and Power being used by your various USB devices
    I have one of each type they're only peanuts to buy, search Amazon/eBay for USB Doctor

ATB YFM
  • scotdocscotdoc Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Battery has never been fully discharged
    The battery signs change when on mains charging lead ie; lightning sign - but not in the bike cradle despite power at the 2 brass connections (5V)
    Have checked the status = 96%
  • EXPORTMANEXPORTMAN Posts: 634
    Superusers
    Hi

As you have tested the output between the two brass pins and that is 5V, then the mount is working. If you ride for a while is the device discharging? ( Could it be the display is not changing but it is still receiving power) Is it possible you are not getting enough power (Amps) to the mount? some older bikes can struggle a little. Are you able to test your device on a mates mount? Have you contacted tomtom support?
  • scotdocscotdoc Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Tried on a ride today for 2 hours - with a partially discharged battery.
    No evidence of charging - will contact customer services as this is not acceptable
  • Rommel1200Rommel1200 Posts: 2 [Novice Seeker]
    I am experiencing the same problem with my Rider 400. My charging cradle is showing 5v between the two brass pins. But the device fails showing low battery warning and shuts down. It works fine via USB connection in my car.
    Any ideas please?
  • MonkehMonkeh Posts: 29 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I had the same problem, even though it was showing 5v at the mount pins, after looking around i found a post stating its due to the weak springs that push the pins into contact with the satnav. I wasnt prepared to pay £50 for a new mount that will just fail again, so i just use a powerpack. With a fully charged battery and full powerpack ive done 12 hours rides no problem. I've also got a usb charger cable wired to the battery if i need to charge the powerpack up on the go.
  • Rommel1200Rommel1200 Posts: 2 [Novice Seeker]
    Monkeh wrote: »
    I had the same problem, even though it was showing 5v at the mount pins, after looking around i found a post stating its due to the weak springs that push the pins into contact with the satnav. I wasnt prepared to pay £50 for a new mount that will just fail again, so i just use a powerpack. With a fully charged battery and full powerpack ive done 12 hours rides no problem. I've also got a usb charger cable wired to the battery if i need to charge the powerpack up on the go.

Monkeh,
    Where do you get a power pack from for the Tom Tom ? can you post a link please
    Superusers
    edited July 2019
    Hi
    @Rommel1200

I used a 5200 mAh Battery Power pack from one of the Aldi Thursday Sales....
    Last year I drove from Worcestershire to the British MotoGP Silverstone and back using GO 520 and a 5200 mAh Power Bank
    The Power Bank has 4 LEDs indicating charge state only one LED had turned off on the Powerbank (I guess minus 25%)

Just checked and the GO 520 says Worcestershire to Silverstone 70 miles... 1 Hour 24 minutes (3 hours return)

There's a Micro USB port on the back of the Rider 4xx/5xx under a rubber bung, If your thinking of using using this port it would leave the device open to the elements, water ingress and a dead device

ATB YFM
  • vllado20vllado20 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi. I have problem with mount, it is not charging. But my charging cradle is showing not 5.54V, but 12V. Do you think that any electronic inside in the mount is dead ??
    And why it happened... Wires I connected directly to the battery. It was working 6 monts maybe
    7ndbnqkvmmah.jpg
    0owc3cav2fy6.jpg
  • RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 477 [Supreme Pioneer]
    12V is not good. The electronic inside in the mount must be defective.

Do not connect your Rider it will probably will be destroyed.
    Superusers
    edited March 14
    Hi
    @vllado20

Wow those connections on the Rider Mount are well Cooked
    looks like there was dead short across the terminals :o
    Do you have a in-line fuse in the circuit ???

y385i925gzs1.jpg
    Was the Rider 420 connected when they burnt like that ???

ATB YFM
  • vllado20vllado20 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    edited March 14
    Hi . They are not burned. I tried to make them bigger to make bigger contact place :) , of course I tried it after my mount was dead .
    My rider 420 is working perfekt.
    And today a have fix everything. I soldered plus and minus wires directly to pins from inside. You can see on the picture.
    And I used 12V socket and usb reduction so I have 5V now. Everything is workig perfect. And of cource there is fuse as well :) .
    I am plannig to replace 12v socket for smaller later.
    But thank you guys with help ;)

6agajlwwf53l.jpg
    z3cr95gm44av.jpg
    nsjdxlgkso6w.jpg
    Superusers
    edited March 14
    Hi
    @vllado20

Necessary is the mother of invention ;)
    Like you, under seat on my Yamaha Fazer 600 I use a car power socket on a short fly lead connected direct to the battery, the Tomtom lead with a fused car plug to run 12v to Rider 450 Mount... I get 5.54 volts at the pins on the mount....

ATB YFM