Tomtom rider 550- Connecting to WiFi — TomTom Community

Tomtom rider 550- Connecting to WiFi

JanicJanic Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 2019 in RIDER
I have just purchased the rider 550.
The wifi does not find my virgin media device?

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,464
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Janic

No problems here Virgin media 100 MB/s Broad band
    Wi-Fi 2.4 & 5.0 GHz

Tomtom devices only connect to 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi

ATB YFM
  • JanicJanic Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thank you for checking.
    My tomtom device doesn't show my wifi in range?
    My tv phone & tablet all work?
  • ChrisHallChrisHall Posts: 256 [Exalted Navigator]
    If you forget the network on your phone, then rescan and it finds the network then it is broadcasting the SSID. If not, log into the Virgin router and set it to broadcast the SSID.

Take the Rider to a location where they have free wifi and see if it will connect or a friend who has Wifi. If it still can't see the networks the Rider 550 is faulty.
  • BotusBotus Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    My 550's wifi has always been extremely slow, after the system update it often fails to connect, dropped out twice getting 3 meg of minor updates last week, and has always taken 9 hours to add Europe mapping updates

the app on my 6s will do the same job in 40 minutes... has mapping you can see and zooms properly

at this price a free login for a smart phone should be standard
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,464
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Botus

[h3]Try Connecting over USB....[/h3]If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable....
    Tomtom recommend a Minimum Wi-Fi Connection speed of 30Mbps especially for large map updates

Updating your new NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device over USB will require "MyDrive Connect" Running on your PC
    Get it here.....
    www.tomtom.com/getstarted

Note... The NAV(5 Wifi) devices have no access the MyDrive Menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices
    MyDrive Connect will only show a "Splash screen" saying "Connect your device using Wifi" etc
    If required You can close the 'Main Mydrive Window' showing the "Connect your device using Wifi" Splash screen... MyDrive Connect only needs to run in the background on the PC TaskBar
    Updating a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device using USB is the same as using Wi-Fi, all of the update actions are executed on the device….

870d2bce-aa69-408c-b876-cf4aeb5e2fb5.png
    (1)... Install MyDrive Connect (Do not Connect your Rider 550)
    (2)...Run MyDrive Connect.....
    (3)...Connect your Device to a USB Port on your PC
    (4)..Turn your device ON
    Updating a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device using USB is the same as using Wi-Fi, all of the update actions are executed on the device...
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Setting --> Maps

ATB YFM
  • BotusBotus Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    my wifi connection is 37Mbps and the same connection works on the phone quickly for tomtom Western Europe 6 gig of maps in 40 minutes

I might try the method you suggest, but when I did the way the device says to connect via USB to a PC nothing happened.

is there any customisation of the 550? the "skin" is rather like a cheap children's toy not a $500 dollar device, I looked at google maps and the clarity and the fact its a map is stunning. I don't just want an arrow and a voice, I wan to see quality maps I paid for