Do I need a smart phone to use one of the new TomTom products? — TomTom Community

Do I need a smart phone to use one of the new TomTom products?

CormCorm Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
I have an older TomTom that has worked well (and still works well) for me, but is no longer supported. I'm interested in purchasing a new one, but after reading about the new models, am concerned that I may need to get a smart phone also in order for a new one to work correctly. Do I need a smart phone in order to use one of the new models? I have a cell phone, but it isn't a smart phone.

Comments

• miketorcymiketorcy Posts: 3,538
    Superusers
    Hi, with a GO 5200/6200 you don't need ta have a smartphone tu use it. You just miss the dree hands use .
  • NiallNiall Posts: 11,035
    Superuser
    @Corm

Unfortunately as there is now no longer a 2G network in the US all the new devices rely on a smartphone paired via Bluetooth to get live traffic information.

@miketorcy the GO 5200/6200 devices with built-in SIM cards are not sold in the Americas as there is no 2G network for them to work with, (also true now in Australia! )
  • CormCorm Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thank you folks! Your responses are kind of what I was expecting, but your confirmation helps me. My wife has been after me to upgrade my phone, so it appears that I will be doing that sometime soon. Again, thank you folks for your responses. I really appreciate it!