Courses/ watch not updating after reset - Page 2 — TomTom Community

Courses/ watch not updating after reset

Comments

• JürgenJürgen Posts: 5,414
    Community Manager
    Kennywilde wrote:
    anyone know how to get my 'log files' ? log.prev.txt and log.txt files?
    Reiss explained it in the support incident, but I'm not sure if we really still need these since we have already received logs and forwarded them to the developers.

Windows computer
    Windows C:\Users\[yourUser]\AppData\Local\TomTom\MySportsConnect\

Apple Computer
    Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/TomTom/MySportsConnect/
    Community Manager
    Here are the steps for the workaround (less cumbersome now):

Delete the new version of Sports Connect and install the old version:
    https://sports-preprod.tomtom-static.com/downloads/desktop/mysportsconnect/3_3_6/TomTomSportsConnectInstaller-3.3.6.pkg
    https://sports-preprod.tomtom-static.com/downloads/desktop/mysportsconnect/3_3_6/TomTomSportsConnectInstaller-3.3.6.exe

Then, when offered to update to 3.3.7, click Exit and edit the prefs.ini:
    Windows: C:\Users\user name\AppData\Local\TomTom\MySportsC onnect

Set the update counters to zero:
    MySportsUpdateCheckRetryCount=0
    MySportsUpdateCheckTimeoutSecs=0

Force the watch into recovery mode and reset it:
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17393/#factory-reset-in-recovery

Set the counter back to default:
    MySportsUpdateCheckRetryCount=3
    MySportsUpdateCheckTimeoutSecs=20

Update 3 July:
    You can also uninstall Sports Connect 3.3.7 and install 3.3.8 beta from the links below.
    macOS
    https://sports.tomtom-static.com/downloads/matched/desktop/mysportsconnect/3_3_8/TomTomSportsConnectInstaller-3.3.8.pkg
    Windows
    https://sports.tomtom-static.com/downloads/matched/desktop/mysportsconnect/3_3_8/TomTomSportsConnectInstaller-3.3.8.exe
  • KennywildeKennywilde Posts: 24 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Jürgen wrote:
    Kennywilde wrote:
    anyone know how to get my 'log files' ? log.prev.txt and log.txt files?
    Reiss explained it in the support incident, but I'm not sure if we really still need these since we have already received logs and forwarded them to the developers.

Windows computer
    Windows C:\Users\[yourUser]\AppData\Local\TomTom\MySportsConnect\

Apple Computer
    I know , I couldn't find it.
    Jürgen wrote:
    Here are the steps for the workaround (less cumbersome now):

Delete the new version of Sports Connect and install the old version?
    https://sports-preprod.tomtom-static.com/downloads/desktop/mysportsconnect/3_3_6/TomTomSportsConnectInstaller-3.3.6.pkg
    https://sports-preprod.tomtom-static.com/downloads/desktop/mysportsconnect/3_3_6/TomTomSportsConnectInstaller-3.3.6.exe

Then, when offered to update to 3.3.7, click Exit and edit the prefs.ini:
    Windows: C:\Users\\AppData\Local\TomTom\MySportsC onnect

Set the update counters to zero:
    MySportsUpdateCheckRetryCount=0
    MySportsUpdateCheckTimeoutSecs=0

Force the watch into recovery mode and reset it:
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17393/#factory-reset-in-recovery

That looks simple for IT novices ??? thanks though
    I think I've done it. It seems to be working. Thanks
  • Golf_1999Golf_1999 Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    My watch has been brought back to life with this fix! Relief.

For anyone (like me) who is struggling to find the Appdata folder on your computer, you might need to 'Show hidden files, folder and drives'. Google 'Can't find appdata' to find out how to do this on your version of Windows/whatever.
  • freebonzofreebonzo Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Yes - your "less cumbersome fix" has at last brought my Golfer 2 back from the dead. Thank you.

But....(there's always a "but"- and this is a big one) - with respect to mighty Tomtom I have found this experience quite chilling. Tomtom must have been aware for some time that one of its software updates had fried the brains of 100s (? even 1000s) of Golfer 2 watches.

It feels like total customer insensitivity to have waited until some owners have found fellow sufferers through this forum and thus had the confidence to query what on earth has been going on.

It took all that to get Tomtom to even acknowledge there was a problem at all and that indeed they had caused this mighty problem all on their own.

It then took even longer for the "cumbersome fix" to be published here. And yes it is very cumbersome. I happily know my way around computers - I suspect that the adjusting of user preferences and the un-hiding of hidden files may be quite a stretch for many other owners.

Perhaps we have all been spoiled by more savvy software providers who would have reacted speedily with packaged , simple-to-use, downloadable fixes immediately (if not before) cock-ups like this became public. On this evidence Tomtom clearly has a long way to go to hit that widely-accepted norm.

The old adage is still key:- everyone is capable and likely to making many cock-ups throughout our lives. What separates the good guys from the poor ones is not how many cock-ups they make but how quickly and effectively they deal with the fixing of those cock-up.

I fear that - based on this experience - Tomtom just about manages to score about 1 out of 10.

Here endeth the sermon.
  • ZcTZcT Posts: 13 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Mine works fine again... though I haven’t tried it. Was not a cumbersome fix. Deleting one app, downloading another and editing 2 numbers is not hard. Simple google search to find that folder... now I know what to do when the next update messes up my watch.

My main issue is how long it took me to find relevant information on this MAJOR glitch. It should be on the TomTom website news! And they emailed me about the update... but nothing about the problems! A number one priority for a consumer based company is communication with the consumers!

please in the future, be more forthright TomTom
    And by the way. Never have a forced update! Ask if we want it or not.
  • Hooky23Hooky23 Posts: 18 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I did the reload of the app, reset the counters but cannot force the watch into the recovery mode - help
    Device is now locked. on the screen when it is not connected to the laptop, i have an image of a screen connected to a device with tomtom/reset underneath but cannot get out of this... Oh dear..
    Hold the button in the down position and then connect to computer... keep holding until the a different logo appears... I believe it is a hand holding a ball or glove or something. Let go and then it should factory reset. It may prompt you to restore or reset.
    Hi ZcT. Same old problem - it just will not reset no matter what I do. I have tried the fix with the downloading the old app, changing the settings etc but it is stuck in a loop that I cannot escape from. A hard reset should be the simple answer but I cannot do it. Any more suggestions.
    Also - which version of the download do i use? The .exe or the .pkg? My windows laptop will not recognise the .pkg version
    OK, just found out that the .pkg is mac...
    cannot download 3.3.6 seems to automatically go to 3.3.7 - anyone can help do please get in contact
    Hooky. You have a PC. Delete the app from the computer. Download the .exe from the link above. Open it, and it’ll say you need to update it... don’t click anything, and quit it. Maybe on the menu? I forget. Or a button at the bottom. Don’t click update!
    find and change the numbers in the .ini file... might be hidden. Someone wrote what to google to find it.
    Then hard reboot the watch... should work.

this should work, unless they changed something!
    Hi ZcT. Did it exactly as per the outline above and still get thrown out of the reset loop saying - Ooops something .... and either try again or go to the FAQ page. Done that but it just wont reset. Got the 3.3.6, updated the settings in the perfs but yet nothing.
    Hooky. That’s disappointing.

ive finally heard back from customer service and they say “a couple days” and they’ll have an updated app.

dont know how long their couple days are
    Hmmmm..... OK. Not good that you cannot do a hard reset that should get you back to a start point. Hey ho. Just left message with an automated phone response. Not sure that is going to work...
    Community Manager
    ZcT wrote:
    Hooky. That’s disappointing.

ive finally heard back from customer service and they say “a couple days” and they’ll have an updated app.
    Hi ZcT,

I believe the agent meant to update you in a few days but the phrasing isn't very clear. Sorry about this!

Our engineers have a guess what causes the error but a fix cannot be implemented in "a couple of days". Plus, it still requires testing.

Once we have a fix in place we will update this forum thread so I recommend subscribing to it.

Greetings,
    Jürgen
  • cyruss612cyruss612 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Is it possible that tomtom takes down the current software so when you plug in the watch doesn't think there is an update. I do not understand why they are leaving iut up if it is bad. I have a new golfer 2 coming in today, and once i plug it into set it up I will run in to this problem.
    Community Manager
    cyruss612 wrote:
    Is it possible that tomtom takes down the current software so when you plug in the watch doesn't think there is an update. I do not understand why they are leaving iut up if it is bad. I have a new golfer 2 coming in today, and once i plug it into set it up I will run in to this problem.
    Then there is a slight chance that something goes wrong with updating courses.
  • cyruss612cyruss612 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    ok well than what do i do when the new watch comes today? I was hoping to use it tomorrow.
    jurgen:

i dont mean to be snarky (since your workaround seemed to work for my watch... pity it doesn’t for some of the others), but shouldn’t the update have been tested before it was released in the first place?

why can’t TomTom roll back the clock on the update that broke many watches? Bring back the old app, apologize for the release of the broken one, and then do the fixes and tests, and then release it again?

not sure why that would be a problem and would save a lot of watches from breaking.