Broken strap replacment is unavailable in India

webtomtom
webtomtom Registered Users Posts: 4
Neophyte Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
Hello All,

The strap of my Spark watch is broken for more than 2 months. I following up with India customer service and they admit that replacement strap is not available. But, they are not letting me know when it will be available. The answer is always "soon". But, that "soon" has turned into months.

First of all, the strap quality is very poor. I use the watch delicately, then also it got cut near the charging area. Tomtom should have been courteous enough to admit that it's their fault and replace the strap for free. Again, how can they when the strap itself is not available for sale:-(

My investment in the watch is dead now after little more than a year. It's unacceptable and never thought of this kind of lousy response from Tomtom.

I'm thinking of taking legal route if I don't get the replacement of strap in next one week. Let me know if others in India facing the same problem.

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,935
    Superuser
    Good luck with the legal route. How much time, effort and money is worth it for a $100 watch? TomTom is out of the watch business (they left last year) so I assume they have curtailed production of straps (they stopped producing new watches some time ago). Try calling the main Support number in Amsterdam, as they may have more supply of straps that they can ship to you (020 753 5818).

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • webtomtom
    Neophyte Traveler
    In India, the watch cost is around $250 (when I had bought the watch, it's less in $ terms as Rupee has depreciated considerably against USD). It's not a small amount in India.

How can we let a company fool us without any implications when they are cheating the customers by selling a product without having enough accessories to go with it?

Tomtom is still selling Spark3 watches in India, so anyone who buys them will not have any accessories if something goes wrong with it? It's totally unfair for a company to do this and we should not let them off the hook easily.
  • Niall
    Niall Posts: 11,113
    Superuser
    @webtomtom

Have you tried the self-service sight https://in.support.tomtom.com/app/strap_request
  • webtomtom
    Neophyte Traveler
    Niall wrote:
    @webtomtom

Have you tried the self-service sight https://in.support.tomtom.com/app/strap_request
    Mine is out of warranty, so can't use the link.
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,935
    Superuser
    webtomtom wrote:
    In India, the watch cost is around $250 (when I had bought the watch, it's less in $ terms as Rupee has depreciated considerably against USD). It's not a small amount in India.

How can we let a company fool us without any implications when they are cheating the customers by selling a product without having enough accessories to go with it?

Tomtom is still selling Spark3 watches in India, so anyone who buys them will not have any accessories if something goes wrong with it? It's totally unfair for a company to do this and we should not let them off the hook easily.
    Unfair, arguably yes. Unheard of, certainly not. That is the way businesses work, they are not going to throw good money after bad and continue to spend money on a product lien they are phasing out. And they did not say they were never available, just that they were waiting. There is also a responsibility of the customer to do their homework before purchasing a product. A simple Google search would tell them that they have left the watch business and should not buy one. Did you try calling the main company support like I suggested?
  • webtomtom
    Neophyte Traveler
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    webtomtom wrote:

Unfair, arguably yes. Unheard of, certainly not. That is the way businesses work, they are not going to throw good money after bad and continue to spend money on a product lien they are phasing out. And they did not say they were never available, just that they were waiting. There is also a responsibility of the customer to do their homework before purchasing a product. A simple Google search would tell them that they have left the watch business and should not buy one. Did you try calling the main company support like I suggested?
    I totally disagree with the statement that is how the business work by not providing accessories for the products sold when they discontinue a product line. If that is how the business works, then it is called cheating and not business. If the company is not going to provide accessories, then it should have been mentioned in the website itself. Is it displayed in the Tomtom website?

I haven't called Amsterdam support yet, will do it once I figure out how to make ISD calls from my phone. But, I have wrote couple of emails to CEO of TomTom, but haven't received reply yet.