TomTom- No GPS Signal 2019 | Week Number Roll-Over | TIMER Reset 00.00 | Error-"You cannot use this map"

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1112782/tomtom-no-gps-signal-2019#latest

TT Start 42 slow response when inputting addresses & searching criteria

After my TT Start 40 was stolen, I was told to upgrade to TT Start 42 as it would be much better. This is not true. I have put up with the slow response when inputting addresses & searching criteria. It is way below par compared to the previous Tom Tom I had.
I will now be changing to another GPS device of another brand.,

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 13,939 Superusers
    Hi
    @brunosky

Have you tried a Drum roll restart on the device ????

https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6965//session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDI2NjM0NDUyL3NpZC9EQTdTVHpobQ

Charge the device for at least 2Hrs "OR" have the device plugged into a power supply
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound then release the on/off button.
    You won’t lose anything; it’s just like rebooting your PC
    I use a Soft/drum-roll start after any upgrade large or small.
    It’s also useful to keep in mind for sorting out most minor niggles......

If possible, for the for the first Satellite fix, go outside with a clear view of the Sky

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > Thumb's Up Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'

Regards,
    Hi

You could use 'Sleep' during the day, then at the end of your day you could use the 'Turn off' option rather than 'Sleep' the device will then have a daily drum-roll start

ATB YFM

I also have the Start 42 which I'm afraid is just not fit for purpose. It's so slow and unresponsive. It's been back for repair and replacement twice but is still poor. The only support I get now is "please perform a reset".
    edited April 18
    Hi
    @selwynha

Your Start 42 has 8GB of on-board memory... the devices Operating System uses some of the 8GB on-board memory + the Operating System need a further minimum of 400KB free working space ( The more working space the better the performance of the device)
    The Latest Europe Map is near as dammit 9GB, you cant put a quart into a pint pot
    (To Check Free working Space... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> System --> About... Scroll down to Free Space)

If your Start 42 still has the original Map or Map Zone installed on the on-board memory, maybe @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators will allocate a smaller Map to your Account
    Then you could delete the original Map from the onboard memory and replace it with the smaller Map
    The advantage would be plenty of working space and the smaller map will act as a 'Keeper' to enable the device to keep running on the smaller Map (Avoid the No Maps Found Error) if you ever need to remove the Micro SDHC Card for any reason... Like transferring pre-planned routes via a Micro SDHC Card or Formating a Micro SDHC Card

Also if you are used to a Smart Phones Capacitative Screens and seeking that type peformance/responsiveness, then the Resistive Screen of the Start Range will never ever be in the same Ballpark

ATB YFM